job offer but not until December

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hi all,

I am so used to posting on the student forum I started to write this there then I remembered, I'm a brand new RN! I just had a question about this, was looking for input please.

I applied for an RN position back in late October and received my acceptance letter then.

I was told by the hiring manager that I would be put on the wait list at that time I got my letter, because there was a 6 month waiting list for the residency program. I was accepted into a pediatric/ICU rotation at a trauma hospital, which was really a dream come true.

Fast forward. I graduated in May and passed my NCLEX mid July, and forwarded my information (BLS, transcripts, etc) to HR, as was instructed.

I got a call recently that I can not start working until mid December. I explained that I was told I was put on the wait list in Oct, but the woman I spoke with said it went based on when I received my license number.

I am currently working as a PCA and my manager unfortunately can't help at all. I guess they are just backed up with applicants.

My question is. Should I wait for this program, or should I accept another job in a medsurg/tele unit with a different hospital system? This other hospital is much smaller. Still has good ratings though. I can start in August.

My ultimate goal is to move out of state and work in a peds burn unit... I know this is so millennial of me but am I being too impatient? I just put so much work into school like we all have I know, and I just want to start! Waiting for Dec also will make me wait to move where I want to as well.... what would you do?

TIA!

If your goal is to work in peds, it makes sense to wait for the peds position. Maybe you can do flu clinics in the meantime?

I would get a job at Walmart and wait for the residency in December. It's only 4 months.

I agree with Wuzzie, the difference between an October and December start time is inconsequential. If you do pursue a temporary nursing position, you should verify that this will not exclude you from your residency, as some consider any RN employment an exclusion.

Congratulations on finding a job!

This is a difficult position to put you in.

Do you have it in writing that the job is yours to begin working in December?

What if you wait all fall, not making RN wages and at risk of becoming an "old new grad", and then the job falls through or they push the start date even further back?

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

Tough decision. I loved psych but also was curious about the ed. I was offered a psych position to start right away (May) or the ED residency to begin in December.

I took the psych job. But my heart was there. I also really, really, really needed the money as nursing school had wiped me out financially.

There is no wrong decision here. You will make the right one.

Specializes in ED, med-surg, peri op.

If you decided to wait, make sure you've signed a contract that states your start date. Otherwise they may change things, and you may be left with nothing. If it's a guaranteed job, I say wait. Better to start off where you want.

Specializes in Pedi.

I would wait for peds and find something to supplement my income in the meantime- drive for Uber or Lyft, dog-sit, dog walk, wait tables, substitute teach.

I would wait for peds and find something to supplement my income in the meantime- drive for Uber or Lyft, dog-sit, dog walk, wait tables, substitute teach.

During my gap between my first degree and nursing school, I volunteered as a bartender at a party hostel in South America in return for a free bed. Since my housing was covered, I was able to live on about $5/day. If I had 4 months off again, I'd do that in a heartbeat. No kidding, you can look into interational travel by volunteering at hostels in return for room and board.

Short-term gigs like Home Health, private duty, etc. will keep your head in the game. Maybe work on some specialty certifications. Even tutoring RN students!

Specializes in Medical-Surgical/Float Pool/Stepdown.

As long as you get it in writing, I would wait and work a non-nursing job until you start. Continue to read up on concepts to help prepare you for when you do start but getting a job as a nurse somewhere else will require that somewhere else to sink money into training you which isn't fair to them and you don't want to possibly pick up bad habits from them either. It may not seem like it now but getting a residency for peds icu at a level I trauma hospital would really "tee" you up for a peds burn unit IMHO.

Congratulations!!!

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.
If you decided to wait, make sure you've signed a contract that states your start date. Otherwise they may change things, and you may be left with nothing. If it's a guaranteed job, I say wait. Better to start off where you want.

This cannot be emphasized strongly enough. If you don't have an offer in writing, you don't really have an offer. I have never heard of a "waiting list" for a residency program/paid job. Usually they hire the people they want and let the rest go. It is possible you are being strung along here.

If you have a firm start date in writing with your compensation spelled out, then you may wish to explore options in the meantime and bide your time, if you can afford to financially. Otherwise pursue other options aggressively.

+ Add a Comment