Jump to content
February 2019 Caption Contest: Win $100! Read more... ×
direw0lf direw0lf (Member)

job offer but not until December

First Year   (1,875 Views 16 Comments)
6 Likes; 10,151 Visitors; 1,002 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

You are reading page 2 of job offer but not until December. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

During my gap between my first degree and nursing school, I volunteered as a bartender at a party hostel in South America in return for a free bed. Since my housing was covered, I was able to live on about $5/day. If I had 4 months off again, I'd do that in a heartbeat. No kidding, you can look into interational travel by volunteering at hostels in return for room and board.

This sounds amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Right? I want a gap year to work on a tropical island as a bartender.

You can still do it......

When I tended bar at the party hostel, I met tons of professionals (mostly male Australian attornies, for whatever reason) who just quit their jobs, cashed out their life savings, bought a one-way ticket to South America, and wandered around having adventures.

In high school I lived in Central America, and I knew a ton of American and Canadian kids whose parents just decided that they wanted a 'simpler way of life,' uprooted the family, and relocated to our beach town to work in the tourist industry.

I also have a good friend from nursing school who works as a travel nurse six to eight months out of the year while living on a shoestring budget, then uses her savings to travel all over the world on a shoestring budget during the remaining months.

I know that they're pretty unconventional lifestyles, but some of these crazy adventures are actually attainable (especially if you're flexible, and don't mind living on $3/day and sharing a bunk room with 9 strangers, lol).

....Come with me, Not.Done.Yet....we can have an adventure...you know you want to...!! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second those that say as long as you have a firm offer in writing go ahead and wait it out. If you don't have that offer in writing ask for it and if they can't or won't provide you with that go ahead and pursue other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×