More proof (in case you needed it) that HCA is evil

Nurses General Nursing

Updated:   Published

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

As someone with very close ties to the midwives, as well as the inner city OB patients, in Denver, this absolutely INFURIATES me. What are they thinking??

https://coloradosun.com/2018/12/03/denver-aurora-midwifery-clinics-closing/

Two Denver-area midwifery practices that have delivered thousands of babies in the past two decades, many born to low-income, inner-city mothers and refugee families, are closing their doors.
Dr. Kent Heyborne, chief of obstetrics for Denver Health and an expert in maternal-fetal medicine, called the news "very disconcerting and very upsetting." He noted that black women in the United States are two to four times more likely to die in pregnancy compared with white women. Minority and poorer women, the same population served by the clinics at Rose and Aurora Medical Center, are more likely to have complications including preeclampsia and hypertension, as well as more likely to die by suicide and overdose during pregnancy.

"The underserved are the ones who need the care most and often are the ones who have the hardest time getting the care," he said. "It's just going to make their fight worse and put their lives and their health in graver danger. It's not what you would like to see happening in the United States in 2018."

Having worked for them, I have my own negative thoughts on HCA. "Evil" might be a bit strong, but they definitely run their business different then I would.

Regarding this situation, the article indicates that many other clinics and midwives in the area also accept a very low number of Medicaid patients. I don't see that HCA is any worse in this regard then all those entities.

Denver Health has the largest midwifery practice in the state (maybe country?) with 32 midwives. About 80% of their patients are on Medicaid or totally uninsured.

Same with the primary UCH midwifery practice.

The location of both Rose (inner city Denver) and the other HCA practice (Aurora) means that a very large percentage of those patients affected by these closures are Medicaid.

PLENTY of midwifery practices take Medicaid patients and are able to make it financially feasible.

Denver Health has the largest midwifery practice in the state (maybe country?) with 32 midwives. About 80% of their patients are on Medicaid or totally uninsured.

Same with the primary UCH midwifery practice.

The location of both Rose (inner city Denver) and the other HCA practice (Aurora) means that a very large percentage of those patients affected by these closures are Medicaid.

PLENTY of midwifery practices take Medicaid patients and are able to make it financially feasible.

I'm sure you are aware in that DH and UC have a different mission and financial structure then HCA. I'm not a huge fan of HCA, but they aren't by themselves in wanting to shed some Medicaid business. That doesn't make them evil, imho.

You are more knowledgeable about the field, so I'll believe you when you say there are plenty of midwifery practices that take Medicaid are are financially viable. I was only going by the article you provided.

It seems then, there is an opportunity for someone to come in and fill the void, and probably do a better job.

Not that it is all that relevant, just an observation....the one patient they talked to in the article was a married nurse who lives in Centennial. I'm making assumptions, but probably not poor and without insurance.

I think HCA has had a long history of placing profits before people, and this is just one example that happens to hit close to home for me.

Specializes in OB.
I think HCA has had a long history of placing profits before people, and this is just one example that happens to hit close to home for me.

And now we get to have their former CEO who was pressured out for defrauding Medicare...in the U.S. Senate!

I can certainly appreciate that!

Just to be clear, I was being tongue-in-cheek with my use of the word "evil".

Specializes in oncology, MS/tele/stepdown.
And now we get to have their former CEO who was pressured out for defrauding Medicare...in the U.S. Senate!

Don't forget he was governor first. Florida has good taste.

Specializes in OB.
Don't forget he was governor first. Florida has good taste.

It's my home state, I'm unfortunately all too familiar with its quirks!

Not surprised at all. Have you ever seen Rose's "VIP" floor? Good grief. Private chefs that make fresh made chocolate chip cookies every few hours. Rose (and HCA as an entity) has no monetary incentive to keep those two practices open but I'm still surprised they're doing it. Probably shouldn't be though.

+ Add a Comment