All I want for Christmas is... (the school nurse list)

Specialties School

Published

Comments are for those big-ticket items you longingly admire in the catalogs for your office.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
mini bar and some underwear for my kiddos

YES. Minibar for me and the teachers I love. Undies for the kids.

My own bathroom or at least a sink so I could wash my hands

xray vision or xray machine

a thermometer for every teacher (not that some of them would dare to use it)

one of those vision screening machines the kids just look into

a dr or nurse practitioner to run a little clinic with me in the school so that some of these kids would actually see a provider

a dr or nurse practitioner to run a little clinic with me in the school so that some of these kids would actually see a provider

Well this is a brilliant idea!! I'd totally be on board for that. To be able to offer missing vaccinations immediately?! Holy moly. GAME. CHANGER.

Specializes in School Nurse.

I hear you about the elevator. The middle school I was in was two stories and had an elevator. The high school is 3 stories in part and there's none.

Specializes in Lie detection.

We are actually getting a mini clinic next school year. One of the regional medical centers has affiliated clinics and multiple hospitals in my area. They are now branching into the school system. I hope this means all students will have MD physicals every year!

Standing orders for Epi-Pens, Narcan, Albuterol...you know, the things that save lives. :up:

You don't have a standing order for these?? Okay so we do not have a standing order for Narcan (I have pushed for this, especially because we have an opportunity to get it for free in our high school, I am at the elementary school, but I talk to the nurse at the high school multiple times a year that we should get this!), but epi-pen (we get free) and albuterol inhalers (we pay for) are both on standing orders. It is crazy to me that any school would not have these as a standing order! Drives me nuts that we do not have Narcan!

Specializes in School Nursing, Ambulatory Care, etc..
You don't have a standing order for these?? Okay so we do not have a standing order for Narcan (I have pushed for this, especially because we have an opportunity to get it for free in our high school, I am at the elementary school, but I talk to the nurse at the high school multiple times a year that we should get this!), but epi-pen (we get free) and albuterol inhalers (we pay for) are both on standing orders. It is crazy to me that any school would not have these as a standing order! Drives me nuts that we do not have Narcan!

We don't have standing orders for albuterol. I think it's because we don't have a nurse at every school and to administer albuterol would be requesting the HA to assess and make a judgement based on that assessment.

No, it's totally frustrating. Bills have passed in the state allowing both epi-pens and Narcan, but our district does not have a physician to sign the standing orders.

I am feeling pretty lucky, maybe I should stop complaining about the ONE item I want and cannot get approved...A vision screener (Spot screener by Welch Allyn, Plusoptix, etc). Admin states that it is too expensive (although we have raised about half the money for it, and even if I raised the full amount they still deny it :no:) But I have a good sized office 12 x 14, and a bathroom. I have standing orders for almost anything you could want (minus Narcan). my own mini fridge, microwave, etc. plenty of storage (if that is even truly a thing, lol).

You don't administer NARCAN unless you can continue to monitor either. It's pretty short-lived so you need to be prepared to intervene (possibly with more NARCAN or possibly ALS services). We 911 those. The paramedics in our county carry NARCAN (and have the delegation or whatever their basis is to use it).

I would like to GIVE a gift, not receive.

A punching bag for guidance. I'm tired of their kids storming out of therapy, punching bathroom walls, and me needing to fix them.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Money to go back to school and do LVN.

+ Add a Comment