Can nurses get their licenses revoked or suspended for fighting outside of the workplace?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

The reason I ask Is because I always thought the board would take some type of action against nurses who are arrested for things like assault and battery outside of the workplace. A girl a know who is an RN recently got arrested for that and she still has a job.

Specializes in Pedi.

Well does the Board know about it? Someone would have to report her.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

If you get convicted of a felony, and I believe some misdemeanors (I could be wrong) you will have to report that every time your license is renewed. If not convicted of anything I don't see why it would effect your license unless it was right outside work or involved a patient or something crazy like that.

Annie

I hope not ...love to give and take a good, hard punch to the face on a Saturday night.

Specializes in Adult and pediatric emergency and critical care.

Our BON address most of these on a case to case basis. Was it a domestic fight or mutual combat? Were there drugs/alcohol involved? Were there any minors or other vulnerable parties put at risk? Was there a risk of serious bodily injury? As KelRN215 does the board even know about it?

While in our state any felony or misdemeanor convictions in state are directly reported to the BON they are not usually informed by law enforcement of arrests.

As an aside is there a reason that you care if the board takes away her license? Does she have behaviors that limit her ability to give safe care to her patients? If so have these been reported before? If not why are you invested in this?

Specializes in school nurse.
I hope not ...love to give and take a good, hard punch to the face on a Saturday night.

It's best to have a warm-up fight on Friday first...

Guys, the first rule of nurse fight club is that you do not talk about nurse fight club

Lol I punched a guy for grabbing my rear at a bar when I was a nurse. Nothing ever came of it but man I was worried for a long time.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Arrested is not convicted.

Most states it is self-report upon renewal- so may not have come up yet.

You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I love to give and take a good, hard punch to the face on a Saturday night.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27164[/ATTACH]

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
The reason I ask Is because I always thought the board would take some type of action against nurses who are arrested for things like assault and battery outside of the workplace. A girl a know who is an RN recently got arrested for that and she still has a job.

Is there some reason why you're particularly worried about this? Are you a colleague of this person, or are you just hoping she'll get into trouble?

Specializes in Medsurg/ICU, Mental Health, Home Health.

If she's assaulted at least one person, I wouldn't get on her bad side.

MYOB, it'll catch up to her eventually.

+ Add a Comment