I'm embarrassed to admit it, but NO---the advanced-directive papers I got when I was in the hospital two months ago are still sitting on my desk. :stone
Maybe it's because I'm having trouble making up my mind. When I was only 37, I put it in writing at my MD's office that I was to be DNR shortly after I participated in my first code. I'd decided on the spot that I didn't want to be 'saved' only to wind up with more problems than I'd started with. Then, when I had the chest pains that landed me in the hospital, it suddenly seemed a lot more important to try to hang on, so I allowed myself to be changed to full-code status.
Now, my family knows (in theory, anyway) that I really only want CPR if I have a witnessed arrest---don't be doing ANYTHING if you don't know how long I've been down---and in any case I want NO long-term intubation/IV fluids/tube feedings/antibiotics etc. I've seen too many people in that situation, and I don't wanna play! But then, I also don't want my DH making that decision.........I know he'd have a hard time letting me go, and I'd much rather have a cooler head, like my sister's or my oldest daughter's, prevail under those circumstances.
Of course, neither of them wants this responsibility---my sister simply says, "No, you'll just have to stay healthy and wait until I'M gone before you even THINK about dying" and my daughter goes, "Mom, you're not going anywhere---I don't even want to talk about this". :stone