Terminated from my PerDiem Job... Need to vent

Specialties School

Published

So, when I left my last job (FT at an outpatient specialty clinic), I was asked by my supervisor if I would like to stay on per-diem. I made it clear to them that I would, but that I would have limited availability during the school year, but would be willing to do 1 day per week during July and August. The supervisor told me that would be totally fine, and we put through the paperwork. I provided them with an entire week of days to come in at the end of August to train in the departments I did not cover and a list of available days every month with the exception of September and March. I never heard anything so in early October, I emailed the scheduler to make sure they knew I was still available. Suddenly, on Monday, Nov 5th, I could no longer access my email for that job. I called IT and they stated I was listed as inactive, but that could be caused by any number of reasons and to contact my manager. My supervisor is out on maternity leave, so I emailed the practice manager right away, but didn't hear back. On Saturday, I received mail from my retirement acct manager from that job with a letter starting with "Now that you've decided to leave your employer...." Today, I received an email from the PM stating that they tried to offer me time in October but I never responded, so they off boarded me.... But I never got a phone call, email, or text from anyone. Now, I'm locked out of my email there so I can't prove this. And, on top of that, I'm out $10,000 in retirement money since I wouldn't be vested until the middle of December. I am PO'd. I can't help but feel like this was retaliatory because I was outspoken about a ballot-measure in our state that was not in agreement with the Hospital system's views.........

So, lesson learned. Once you go per-diem, make sure you always CC your home email address on all communication.

You can contact HR but I doubt they will back you...they are NOT on your side. Also, there will be no way to prove you didn't get any messages., they will just keep saying that you did not answer, they will blame it all on you. I know so many nurses who were for YES on question 1, but had to "keep quiet" about it because their hospital was all for NO, and HUGE signs were posted everywhere on the hospital campus to vote NO. It is truly sad that you can't have a say in political issues, especially when they affect you. It just proves that money can buy an election and just about anything else.

This whole thing makes me sick.

Specializes in pediatrics, school nursing.

The MNA had to open a hot line to field people who feared retaliation from management. There was someone from a local hospital who was told in a staff meeting that their holiday bonuses depended on the outcome of the ballot measure. If that isn't intimidation, I don't know what is. I'm resigned to the fact that the money is likely gone. I can't afford (time or money) to hire an attorney. I'm just thankful that the money I earned and put into that account is still safe. The 10k was the employer match.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I'm sure there are plenty of local attorneys who would take this case pro bono - especially if there is evidence of a political element; the payoff for the end result would make it worth their, and your, effort. It'll likely never go to trial since the organization would prefer a settlement. They are playing the odds you will do nothing.

Specializes in Pediatric Critical Care.
The MNA had to open a hot line to field people who feared retaliation from management. There was someone from a local hospital who was told in a staff meeting that their holiday bonuses depended on the outcome of the ballot measure. If that isn't intimidation, I don't know what is. I'm resigned to the fact that the money is likely gone. I can't afford (time or money) to hire an attorney. I'm just thankful that the money I earned and put into that account is still safe. The 10k was the employer match.

I'm sure there are plenty of local attorneys who would take this case pro bono - especially if there is evidence of a political element; the payoff for the end result would make it worth their, and your, effort. It'll likely never go to trial since the organization would prefer a settlement. They are playing the odds you will do nothing.

At least find the time for a free consultation.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

This 1000%!!!!

Specializes in School Nursing, Pediatrics.

I heard about this happening! It is horrible!! I am just glad I do not work in a hospital anymore! I know you need the money or the job, but maybe find something better...you deserve more!

"would be willing to do 1 day per week during July and August. " It was entirely up to you,to keep yourself active. "But I never got a phone call, email, or text from anyone". If you did not get any contact by October, it was up to YOU to follow up.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

Sorry this is happening to you. Is is possible that it is just a misunderstanding because your regular manager left? HR and acct mngr might just be going on what the interim manager has told them. Agree with Olddude to just write to manager and let them know you want to continue to work. This would allow you to hopefully work enough to obtain vested status. Good luck!

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.
"would be willing to do 1 day per week during July and August. " It was entirely up to you,to keep yourself active. "But I never got a phone call, email, or text from anyone". If you did not get any contact by October, it was up to YOU to follow up.

I have worked per-diem jobs that didn't contact me for months if no need. I would not necessarily call them in between.

Specializes in School Nursing.

When sending any e-mails like that to work, I cc my home e-mail. I have a folder for work there. This way, I can prove anything that might "disappear".

Specializes in pediatrics, school nursing.

I did email in late September/early October. I'm kicking myself for not cc'ing my personal email address...

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

My per diem just terminated me because I got the flu shot two days after their deadline, despite me never stepping foot in their facility until after the two week efficacy period. Stupid on their part, they have 2 FT night staff on a floor that needs at least 5. No tears shed on my part. Maybe I'll file for unemployment.

+ Add a Comment