Fired for taking vacation

Nurses General Nursing

Updated:   Published

I put my vacation request in 30 days prior to the new schedule as per policy. The new schedule comes out and they have me working during my requested time. So talk to the scheduler confirms I have requested time off and confirms it with HR.

I had just covered the UM vacation the week before mine and 1 other nurse's vacation prior to that. Two days prior to my departure, my UM informs me that my leave has not been approved and no explanation is required. I informed her that it was not acceptable answer and I would not be working regardless of whether it was approved. Everyone else got to take vacation and I covered most of them.

Yesterday, after returning from vacation, they fired me over the phone. No call, no show. Surprise right?

Now before some of you go off, I'm not crying, whining, complaining or looking for sympathy. I very much knew what the expected outcome was going to be.

Sometimes you just have to give zero #####.

Self care is self respect.

Specializes in CMSRN, hospice.

Love your interview answer, that is pure truth. Also, I would love to hear more about your job if you feel like sharing! I have felt very moved over the past few years to become involved in foster care in some way, but am not quite at the point where I can be a foster parent. No pressure, but I have questions if you wouldn't mind me PMing at some point.

You didn't get fired for taking a vacation. You got fired because you were excessively rude to your boss and didn't seem to understand you don't take time off if they don't approve it if you still want to have a job.

Self care is important. But you can't pay bills with being right all the time.

You didn't get fired for taking a vacation. You got fired because you were excessively rude to your boss and didn't seem to understand you don't take time off if they don't approve it if you still want to have a job.

I have no doubt that you are an authority on rudeness and therefore have full sovereignty to assert this belief. And by my standards, this post meets all the criteria for utmost rudeness that could now or ever be supposed.

- A fellow rude person

Specializes in hospice, LTC, public health, occupational health.

Actually, if you read the OP, he did it in full understanding that he would lose his job. Bosses who screw with your ability to use your earned time off are people you want to ditch. Yes, there are rules, s/he followed them by submitting the request 30 days ahead of time. Leaving someone hanging with a vacation request for weeks, even after repeated requests for approval or denial, and then denying it last second is exceedingly rude. Bosses who do that kind of thing deserve the staffing problems they earn by treating people that way.

Specializes in NICU.

I am with you all the way on this.One has to do what one has to do.Vacation is very important part of self care and burnout prevention.Good for you!!!.

Specializes in school nurse.

Did we both read the same post???

Wow. I didn't get what you got from the original post.

It looks like the OP did what was expected in requesting and receiving approval for vacations as well as covering others' vacations. It looks like at the last minute that approval was changed. I don't consider the actions then rude, except for being fired as "no call no show".

I understand that vacations affect staffing, but having a different approval policy for each staff member is not fair. I have an international vacation planned for next year and will be taking considerable time off work. I have the time off according to my manager. I would be very upset if a week before they told me that I couldn't go. It wouldn't happen where I work, even if I switch departments, because the request was handled, submitted and approved according to the rules our institution has developed.

Specializes in Pedi.

I had a colleague at the same job I referenced earlier who had planned a trip to South America and arranged coverage for herself. We were clinical managers at a pediatric home care agency, it was fairly easy to get your work done in advance and all that the person covering for you needed to do was triage issues that arose when you were out or accept new referrals for your area. Maybe a month before she was supposed to leave, our director told her she couldn't go because we were rolling our a new computer charting system around that time. I told her to quit over it. She didn't, rescheduled her trip but ended up leaving a couple months later anyway. I think the date we rolled out the new computer system ended up getting pushed back too.

I put my vacation request in 30 days prior to the new schedule as per policy. The new schedule comes out and they have me working during my requested time. So talk to the scheduler confirms I have requested time off and confirms it with HR.

I had just covered the UM vacation the week before mine and 1 other nurse's vacation prior to that. Two days prior to my departure, my UM informs me that my leave has not been approved and no explanation is required. I informed her that it was not acceptable answer and I would not be working regardless of whether it was approved. Everyone else got to take vacation and I covered most of them.

Yesterday, after returning from vacation, they fired me over the phone. No call, no show. Surprise right?

Now before some of you go off half cocked, I'm not crying, whining, complaining or looking for sympathy. I very much knew what the expected outcome was going to be.

Sometimes you just have to give zero #####.

Self care is self respect.

I don't have any real advice, other than to say, **** that job and those people. Good on you for taking your vacation and sticking up for yourself.

In my experience, people don't quit jobs, exactly, they quit bosses. So keep on keeping on and cheers to you.

Specializes in EMS, LTC, Sub-acute Rehab.

Yeah, you're wrong about that. There is a difference between being rude and being direct.

I was being very direct with my communication by drawing a hard line in the sand. I explained my case very factually, without emotion or threat. Their response, "It's denied. We don't have to give you a reason" or timely notification evidently.

Having worked all rungs of the corporate ladder I can tell you this. Establishing clear boundaries is the single most important thing you can do in a business relationship. Without boundaries you can't define the expectation of mutual respect and trust. When mutual respect and trust no longer exist, neither does the business relationship.

Time is more valuable than money. You can always get more money. When your time is gone there is only regret.

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.
Yeah, you're wrong about that. There is a difference between being rude and being direct.

I was being very direct with my communication by drawing a hard line in the sand. I explained my case very factually, without emotion or threat. Their response, "It's denied. We don't have to give you a reason" or timely notification evidently.

Having worked all rungs of the corporate ladder I can tell you this. Establishing clear boundaries is the single most important thing you can do in a business relationship. Without boundaries you can't define the expectation of mutual respect and trust. When mutual respect and trust no longer exist, neither does the business relationship.

Time is more valuable than money. You can always get more money. When your time is gone there is only regret.

Right. On. You can't buy your life back.

Specializes in Pedi.

I agree with everything you said here. You might be my spirit animal. Boundaries were difficult for me when I worked inpatient. I used to check my email on my days off on the regular. I always answered the phone when worked called and frequently got guilted into coming in when they were short. I forget what exactly happened but at some point I realized they were regularly screwing me (my manager was one who would give you a bed schedule as retaliation if you were on her **** list) and I mentally quit my job. I blocked their webmail site from my home computer so I couldn't check my email from home and I stopped answering my phone fro them on days off.

Boundaries have been much easier for me with my Mon-Fri jobs. At all of those jobs I have had a work cell phone and a voicemail that clearly said "I am available Mon-Fri between these hours. If it is after hours or on weekends, call the on-call service at this number." Outside of my working hours, my phone is OFF and stays off. I do not share my personal phone number with my co-workers. When I go on vacation, I don't even bring my work phone. I never check email or answer the phone after hours unless I'm on call. Boundaries are important and healthy.

At the end of your life, you're most likely not going to think "I wish I spent more time working" but might think "boy, I really wish I took that trip."

+ Add a Comment