What's the most inappropriate thing you've done that you instantly regretted?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

I was once in the ICU in a very jovial mood, and the organ donation guy, who was a nice, funny person and who I got on with well, came into the unit. The minute I saw him I grabbed the bell that we kept for end of visiting time and rang it, and called out "Bring out your dead!" in true Monty Python style. Luckily he laughed. Afterwards I realized that some organ donation folks might not be so amused.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
I grabbed the bell that we kept for end of visiting time and rang it, and called out "Bring out your dead!" in true Monty Python style. Luckily he laughed. Afterwards I realized that some organ donation folks might not be so amused.

I laughed so hard I spilled my drink and now I think I need a breathing treatment...

Specializes in ER.

That was cringe-funny. I'd laugh, and then wonder if I'd get written up for laughing.

Punched a door (with staff around to top it off.)

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Punched a door (with staff around to top it off.)

My heart went out to you Orion, when you described the frustrating situation with a patient and ended up punching a hospital door in front of staff.

I, too, had a similar emotional situation and exhibition.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26900[/ATTACH]

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I don't know what got into me, but I once went into a patient room to answer a call light, and in my best Ebonics I said "WhassUP?" as I rounded the curtain. The patient was African-American.

Specializes in Varied.
I don't know what got into me, but I once went into a patient room to answer a call light, and in my best Ebonics I said "WhassUP?" as I rounded the curtain. The patient was African-American.

I cringed in embarrassment for you.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

The number of times that I have done inappropriate things are innumerous. However, I have become somewhat desensitized to the state of being regretful.

Just last Monday morning, near the end of my three-in-a row 12 hour MN shifts, the doorbell to the locked geriatric unit rang and I thought it was some staff member who had forgotten their keys, or perhaps a medical tech pulled to help out who didn't have keys.

As I approached the door to let the individual in, the doorbell again rang. "GEEZE! HOLD YOUR HORSES!" I loudly said. When I opened the door, there stood one of the oldest and most respected medical doctors who comes to visits his patients while they are on geriatric psych.

When I saw who it was, I busted out laughing. The elderly respected MD, with whom I am on good terms quickly quipped, "What's the matter? Did I wake you up?"

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

I too like many of you have done some inappropriate things, non political correct things and now I just roll with whatever, make fun of myself and laugh.

My number 1 thing I did was go to the wrong funeral and speak (in general terms) about the person. How many uncommon names are in a small town (population 50,000) and how many are buried the same day....2, heck I had a 50/50 shot. I still get obits sent to me in the mail saying ...this one looks good do you want to go? Fortunately both family were amused and said it could not have been better planned as they knew each other.

A fellow nurse was talking about our new Australian doctor. It was roughy 3am and he had only ever worked daylight, usually rounding at 9am. She had her back to the entrance of the unit and said "Aussie Doc's voice is so hot. I could listen to him talk all night long" During this he had walked up behind her, leaned over her shoulder, and said "In that case, could I get a coffee?" She almost died, we almost died of embarrassment for her!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

I was in the room with a physician who was taking care of a patient that I knew, and I knew this patient's child had committed suicide by hanging a few months earlier. The physician told the patient to "hang in there" at one point, and I just died a little inside.

Specializes in NICU.

I loved to joke and told a tale about being related to a famous person and the head nurse believed me,he fell for it hook line and sinker,so bad I felt pity and tried to let him down gently, my ass was grass from then on in that unit.

+ Add a Comment