Herzing FNP

Nursing Students NP Students

Updated:   Published

Hello,

I am interested in the FNP program. Can anyone give me insight about how you like the program? How the program works with your schedule? I am not really concerned about clinical because I have those set up.

Please just interested to know what you guys think?

Specializes in Varied.

I have not heard positive things about Herzing. When researching schools, this came up with MANY, MANY poor reviews.

I am finishing up my MSN FNP at Herzing University!! I was sorry to see that somebody has been finding negative reviews. I was skeptical about an all online program, but know two people who are ahead of me in the program and didn't have anything bad to say. One is finished and is working as an FNP, the other is one semester ahead of me and will finish this summer. I would like to have gone to an actual brick and mortar school, but that is not realistic with my life, so if I wanted to do it, I had to do an online program. I finished my BSN through an online program at a large university nursing program, so I was familiar with taking online classes, and knew that I would have the discipline to do it. I compared programs and found that Herzing ranked in about the middle of online MSN programs at US News and World Report university rankings (they don't even rank the bottom 25%, so at least Herzing wasn't there!), and they are looking at more criteria than I ever dreamed of considering. It was affordable, could be finished fairly quickly, and I knew people who were doing it. I have found the administrative staff extremely helpful. Overall, the instructors have been GREAT!! Much more interactive and supportive than my BSN program. There have been one or two who have given me "A"s without much feedback, which makes me wonder if they even read what I wrote, but overall, that has not been the case at all. My experience has been that the instructors know their stuff and want students to be successful. I think if students are up to speed on their APA format, are willing to take constructive criticism and are reasonable adults, they should be successful. I have heard criticism about online programs being diploma mills, and I surely don't want to be getting my degree the easy way. By the time somebody is ready to join a Masters program, they are an adult who is willing to do some learning on their own. Herzing presents the material, gives you the resources and expects students to learn what they need to know. An FNP will be tested by taking board exams. If I don't pass it, it will be my fault for not studying enough or not taking advantage of the resources I was given. As for clinical...you are responsible for finding your own clinical rotations that meet the school's criteria. There must be formal/legal agreements in place between the university and the facility long before clinical rotations ever start. This can be frustrating and time consuming, but if you have connections and plan ahead, you'll be fine. If not, you sit out a semester or so. Not ideal, but the school does everything they can to facilitate the process. I have worked all the way through the program, full time for a while but when clinicals really got going, I went PRN because I could. The school wants clinicals to be stretched 12-15 hours/week for 16 weeks rather than blitz through the whole 135 hours in 2 weeks. I think this is better and I learn more. You have to consider that clinical is in an office for 8 hour shifts, not 12, so it takes a day and a half of weekdays usually...so it might be hard to continue working a 5 day a week job through the program. Look into it. I really feel like everybody there wants me to be successful. Good luck!!

Thank you for your feedback. I have honestly not heard a whole lot of negative things other than being able to find a clinical. I am actually looking for clinicals. I have no problem looking for clinicals because I understand that I am going to need to look for them. I actually just got out of a online BSN program that was self paced and required you to be focused. I am excited and motivated to complete the program. I start May 7th

How was your first day?

Specializes in Home Health, Education.
Thank you for your feedback. I have honestly not heard a whole lot of negative things other than being able to find a clinical. I am actually looking for clinicals. I have no problem looking for clinicals because I understand that I am going to need to look for them. I actually just got out of a online BSN program that was self paced and required you to be focused. I am excited and motivated to complete the program. I start May 7th

I started May 7 as well with Herzing. I am doing a post-master's FNP--only 16 months. Can't beat that! There are only 4 didactic classes that I have to take (I am doing those first), then only clinicals after that. The only downside is that I do think the program is a bit pricey, but besides that, I like everything so far. Hope your first day was equally as good!

When selecting an FNP program you should keep in mind that no school is perfect and they al have their imperfections. I attended a 16 month fnp program in California known as Charles drew. They swiftness of the program was attractive however, once starting the program it was unstructured and inequitable in many ways. Herzing is an 18 month program m, all online, they do not require travel (except to graduate 👩*🎓), all your books and supples are paid for. You have amazing advisors. They are on your side and present to address concerns and issues with you. The staff is considerate and flexible and I believe that matters. To tell you the truth the only thing that's really frustrating with this program has been the typhoon entries do the same week. However, it seems final semester I found a way to get it completed the same week it just takes time and a routine. Another short coming is finding your own preceptors. However, Knowing this before starting the program, you should start looking for Preceptor's in general. Herzing has been an easy program to get through and a lot less stressful than what I've experienced in the past and I do recommend it.

Hello, sorry for the late response. I feel like I have so much time under my belt that I could give more of an accurate review. I love the program. I love how it flows. I think my instructors are super nice. It is a lot of work but I like it. There are papers due in every class so far. I have not had any test or quizzes yet.

how are things going with the program? I am looking for graduate programs and came across this thread....when you get a chance please give us an update

thank you so much

I’m seriously considering the herzing FNP program. Please can someone shed more lights on the advance patho and pharm? How’s it? Are there quizzes and test? I know everyone is busy, could you please spare your 1 min to answer me. I greatly appreciate your response. TIA!

I too am about to complete my BSN and am thinking about continuing on with the MSN/FNP. My concern is the difficulty, preceptor placement, and cost. There is a local private school that is much cheaper, but they seem to project very little care about prospective students. Herzing has been hit and miss during the BSN, but generally the staff has been okay while the professors have been amazing. Would love some feedback.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:54 PM, CLUVRN said:

I started May 7 as well with Herzing. I am doing a post-master's FNP--only 16 months. Can't beat that! There are only 4 didactic classes that I have to take (I am doing those first), then only clinicals after that. The only downside is that I do think the program is a bit pricey, but besides that, I like everything so far. Hope your first day was equally as good!

Hello, I am thinking about doing Herzing's post masters FNP program as well and was wondering how you like it so far now that you're a year into it. Are there mandatory login times? What are the classes like? would you recommend? I'm also wondering about the health assessment clinical, can you do that one anywhere? Thanks!

+ Add a Comment