Infrared and/or No Touch Thermometers

Specialties School

Published

I know thermometers have been discussed quite a bit on this forum, but does anyone use an infrared (or "no touch") thermometer and if so can you provide feedback on it and which brand you're using? Thanks in advance :)

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

We just got them at our LTC. Took 3 different readings 10 seconds apart at the same position and had a 3 degree range to pick from. These were Welch Allyn, cream of the crop.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I use one for kids that can't understand the under the tongue concept or with sensitive gag reflex. I use Thermofocus. As Mr said, it'll give you a different reading every time but I've confirmed it reliably reads cooler than oral temperature, so I always add a degree.

Otherwise, most temps are taken orally with the Welch Allyn Sure Temp.

Specializes in NCSN.

I have a exegen brand one that I use for my special needs students that can't/won't put things in their mouths or under their arms. It usually is .5 under whatever I would get oral but it is consistent.

Bummer, I had a feeling they weren't very reliable. My Welch Allyn thermoscan 6000 - which I loved- didn't even last 18 months and it started giving me readings of 107 and up. Of course it's out of warranty by now and they can only offer to sell me a used one for $180. I might as well buy a new one and hope for the best. Thanks for your replies!

Specializes in Med-surg, school nursing..

I could NEVER get a reading above 96. Most of the time they were 94-95. So I use a tympanic.

We just got them at our LTC. Took 3 different readings 10 seconds apart at the same position and had a 3 degree range to pick from. These were Welch Allyn, cream of the crop.

Yes, in my experience, they have been highly unreliable. I'll stick with my Welch Allyn Sure Temp Plus.

Specializes in Home Health (PDN), Camp Nursing.

So I use a SantaMedical RY220 for my home care cases. I like it pretty well. It's very sensitive to environmental temperature changes so moving it from my car to the clients house it takes about 30min to acclimate. I'm on my second one they seem to last two years to the day until they become random number generators. The plus side is they can be adjusted in one of the user menus. So I get my new one, take 10 or so oral temps on friends and family, compare it to the IR scan thermometer then program in the average adjustment generally +0.5 degree.

i think they are about $50-$70

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..

I wanted to use a infrared thermometer soooo badly. But, after trying 2 or 3 different ones and not feeling like I could rely on them. It was back to the old reliable Braun Thermoscan.

Specializes in School Nursing.

I do have a Braun Digital No Touch Plus Forehead Thermometer NTF3000.

I do have some faith in it, especially since I am in a 450 preschool with 60% SPED population. It is awesome for our sensory, communication, ESL students.

Buuuuuuuut...... I have had it vary from the regular Braun tympanic thermometer.

Ultimately if I can use the tympanic I will, if that is not a possibility the infared forehead thermometer is better than nothing in my opinion.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

If a kid looks sick and the Buzz Lightyear laser thermometer says the temp is normal, I'll do a pulse count. If the pulse rate is not elevated, I'll believe it. If it is elevated, I'll go to axillary or tympanic. I don't like temporal...at all. Keep in mind I'm on the elementary level. As kids grow older they can have a fever with a normal pulse...but not in my age group.

Just something to throw out there...

+ Add a Comment