Intimidated by being only male

Nursing Students Male Students

Published

I am coming with a degree already and thinking about doing nursing. I got into a program and I am not going to lie I am pretty intimidated by all the females in my class. Just walking into lecture and just seeing 98 percent females is intimidating. Just makes me feel lonely and that I am doing something wrong with my life per se. I can't relate. Anyone feel this way?

Specializes in NICU.

I work in a large NICU. There are 300 nurses in my unit (298 female/ 2 males). I am the only male nurse on dayshift. Do I feel intimidated? NO. Am I doing something wrong in my life? NO. There are always topics that you can relate to with your female classmates, you just need to find the common interests.

While men in nursing are a minority (6-12%), there are more and more men getting into nursing. Most of the male nurses consolidate in the trauma/ER/ adult ICU areas. There are a few of us that choose to go against the norm and choose NICU/ L&D/ Peds. Do I treat my coworkers differently because they're female? No. Do they treat me differently because I am male? Thankfully, yes. I don't get involved in the baby and bridal shower invitations.

I think I may feel like you but like the PP said, be yourself and do what makes you happy. Once I get into the program, graduate and get a job, I would love to work with the kids.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

My heart does go out to you guys though. We had one male student in a class of 98. He was a wonderful student nurse and always asked questions. He got a bit overwhelmed during the OB clinical by an over-protective "new" father when he had to massage the fundus to help curb the bleeding.

He was embarrassed but careful and said he felt like quitting at one point. (There were other pressures as well.)

We gals new he was going to be great and male nurses are so very needed!! We didn't let him quit. We helped him to finish and he did graduate.

You are valued believe me!

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

Don't let that steal your joy. When you start your clinicals, your patients will really appreciate you. Male nurses are gold!

You'll get used to it. When you get into nursing school the ratio evens out a bit.

Don't worry about it a bit!! :) All the male nurses in my class did really well. Everyone enjoys working with them - both on school projects and in clinicals.

Your work as a nurse will be invaluable and very much appreciated!

I have 1.5 semesters left of school. I'd say my cohort is about 10-15% male. You'll make friends with people of both genders. Don't sweat it. School is hard enough as it is.

Specializes in Midwife, OBGYN.

Just got into midwifery/np school so because of my chosen specialty I was most likely the only male applicant at any of the schools I applied to. There are probably only 100 male midwives in the entire United States so I knew going in that I would be in the minority. Nursing is also my second career.

You aren't doing anything wrong with your life and as many people have said there are men in nursing and they are needed. I have worked in the hospital setting as a doula and the nurses were all very happy to have me there. It will be the same for you. I was never treated differently but was asked to help out wth moving large hospital beds and larger bulkier items. I was glad to help out.

We are all first and foremost trained professionals. Work collaboratively with your fellow students and you will do fine.

Good luck!

Specializes in Psych/Mental Health.
Just got into midwifery/np school so because of my chosen specialty I was most likely the only male applicant at any of the schools I applied to. There are probably only 100 male midwives in the entire United States so I knew going in that I would be in the minority. Nursing is also my second career.

You aren't doing anything wrong with your life and as many people have said there are men in nursing and they are needed. I have worked in the hospital setting as a doula and the nurses were all very happy to have me there. It will be the same for you. I was never treated differently but was asked to help out wth moving large hospital beds and larger bulkier items. I was glad to help out.

We are all first and foremost trained professionals. Work collaboratively with your fellow students and you will do fine.

Good luck!

Wow that's amazing! Hats off to you. Best of luck with the midwifery NP program.

Specializes in Midwife, OBGYN.
Wow that's amazing! Hats off to you. Best of luck with the midwifery NP program.

Thanks @umbdude! Looks like you are in the middle of your program. Best of luck with everything! I also spent time in finance before making the switch to nursing.

Don't let that steal your joy. When you start your clinicals, your patients will really appreciate you. Male nurses are gold!

And a lesson I've learned after too many jobs: No matter what you do in healthcare, from mopping floors to being a unit director, avoid anywhere that is excited about the fact that you're a male... because you will be the one doing the heavy lifting. Take the job that expects the females to be capable of everything you are.

+ Add a Comment