Mandatory flu shots????

Nurses COVID

Published

It didn't dawn on me until just right now, don't ask me why, that my choice of NOT getting a flu shot will NOT get me into a nursing program. The director at my school of choice basically stated "it is a requirement that you receive one, however you can sign a declaration that you do not wish to receive one." Then I asked, "would that inhibit my chances of getting into the program?" She replied, "well, the facilities in which we work with it is required due to you working with elderly clients; If you do not wish to get the flu shot perhaps you should look into another career."

*****?? (excuse the language) I have worked in nursing homes, health centers, private duty, home health agencies, visiting nurses association, hospice AND THEY NEVER REQUIRED me to ever receive or even ASKED if I have obtained a flu shot!!! (mid 90's)

So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

Specializes in Oncology; medical specialty website.

Funny how quickly people are to deny Kaci Hickox her rights, but when they're told they have to get a flu shot as a condition of employment, the first thing they holler about is "My rights!!!"

ETA: Used wrong last name.

Kaci Wilcox?

​Corrected.

Oh my gosh . . . perfect! Shared on FB.:yes:

He's got the Kevin Spacey character nailed. LOL...

I do NOT like the idea of my job hanging on if I get a shot or not. I do NOT like the idea of being forced to do anything. It is threatening, overbearing and makes me nuts.

Your job hangs on many things in addition to the flu vaccine, so why did we pick the flu vaccine, in particular, to protest against? Often mandatory: PPD test & reading, proof of MMR, Hep B, Tdap, varicella (or Hx disease), serological testing, fit testing, attendance & punctuality, standard uniform/dress, compliance w/policies & procedures, etc.. I don't see many threads protesting all these other requirements. Why is that?

Adults should be able to decide on their own what is best for them.

It's not about what's best for you; it's about what's best for your patients.

Specializes in Oncology/Haemetology/HIV.

Ooohhhhh, goody. Someone brought up that paper by the seriously decredited postdoc Doshi. Doshi, who has never been on faculty at JH, was merely serving as a postdoc at Hopkins. The article was not a research paper or report. He has no medical degree and predominant education is in Anthropology. He has no real medical training. "Expert", is such an incredible overestimation of this man.

He is a serious member of the tinfoil hat club

Every few months, JH posts a disclaimer about the Doshi article. Some article headlines have listed him as JH "Scientist", which a serious overreach.

We could try humor:

Omg, I loved it! That actor has Kevin Spacey down good. I am a huge fan of House of Cards, and Kevin Spacey. Thanks for posting.

Specializes in Oncology/Haemetology/HIV.
Omg, I loved it! That actor has Kevin Spacey down good. I am a huge fan of House of Cards, and Kevin Spacey. Thanks for posting.

Actually, it may be that Kevin Spacey has Dr. Zuban Damania down. Dr. Damania, aka Dr. ZDoggMD, is a hospitalist and musician, has run his own clinic along Dr. Harry, frequently seen in videos such as CPR and medical parodies

Specializes in Telemetry.

I know I posted this in another thread, but I thought it would go well with the other videos posted here. (Yes this is the sanitized version :D ) Penn Teller Vaccine - Clean Version:

Specializes in Oncology.

Though in this particular case, what's best for the patients also happens to be repeatedly proven as best for the nurse, too.

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

Yeah I was just thinking of this too, after I posted my comment a couple pages back. We were required to have the Hep B series and all those, or demonstrate that we had been vaccinated. Why is the flu shot so particularly offensive to this mindset? Hep B isn't even droplet-transmitted...you can only get or spread it at work if there's needle sticks. Yet where's the vitriol against the Hep B series? Where's the indignation about rights?

Your job hangs on many things in addition to the flu vaccine, so why did we pick the flu vaccine, in particular, to protest against? Often mandatory: PPD test & reading, proof of MMR, Hep B, Tdap, varicella (or Hx disease), serological testing, fit testing, attendance & punctuality, standard uniform/dress, compliance w/policies & procedures, etc.. I don't see many threads protesting all these other requirements. Why is that?

+ Add a Comment