Jump to content

FL is not following mandatory mask/social distancing protocol

I am sorry to let you know , but public establishments are not enforcing the mandatory mask and social distancing. We are growing exponentially in number of cases. 

Why are people so ignorant???? 

😢

A Hit With The Ladies, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psych.

What are public establishments supposed to do? Demand that people figure out how to eat at restaurants with masks on? Kick people out of convenient stores if they're five feet (instead of six) apart from one another? That sounds like a recipe for needlessly ticking people off, and driving away customers. If you're that scared of Corona, then stay home yourself and don't harass others. Even the mask mandates proponents sound eerily totalitarian nowadays - maybe they would like a Saudi Arabia or Iran-style 'morality police' arresting women for going unveiled in public, too.

BSNbeDONE, ASN, BSN, LPN, RN

Specializes in Med/Surg, LTACH, LTC, Home Health.

People have always been this way. With COVID, the ignorance has finally become unmasked (no pun intended).

Many of our patients are our patients because they choose to do what they want to do in direct opposition of doing what they are supposed to do.

Edited by BSNbeDONE

Many Americans are just arrogant. They will find out the hard way when either they get Covid-19 or a family members dies from Covid-19. 

Our education system has failed us. Many people can't critically think, fail to look at facts or believe in conspiracy theories. 

Marisette, BSN, RN

Specializes in Registered Nurse.

It's really sad that people are unwilling to sacrifice for our elders who have to come out of their homes for medical services if nothing else.  I don't see why covid cannot be controlled to the extent that Korea and Europe has managed to do.  

BSNbeDONE, ASN, BSN, LPN, RN

Specializes in Med/Surg, LTACH, LTC, Home Health.

2 hours ago, Marisette said:

It's really sad that people are unwilling to sacrifice for our elders who have to come out of their homes for medical services if nothing else.  I don't see why covid cannot be controlled to the extent that Korea and Europe has managed to do.  

You may have spoken too soon. Just watched the evening news. Europe may become the new America. It's citizens are defiant, too, after being released from house arrest of 3 months.

Edited by BSNbeDONE

A Hit With The Ladies, BSN, RN

Specializes in Psych.

1 hour ago, BSNbeDONE said:

Europe may become the new America. It's citizens are defiant, too, after being released from house arrest of 3 months.

Glad the Europeans grew a backbone at long last. They sat through King George, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, etc. They should be loyal to individual liberty principles, not to any mortal political leader.

I just find it amazing that people are fighting not to wear masks, yet many of those same people are also fighting against abortion. So people refuse to wear masks while also trying to control women's uteri.

Masks, along with handwashing, are the single most important nonintrusive means to controlling this virus yet people are fighting tooth and nail against it despite being the best thing for their own health and safety.

I agree.  The government should make a new task force of men armed with cattle prods to walk the streets and shock people whenever they touch their faces too.

Furthermore, we should jail all people who are immune compromised.  Sorry John, your wish may have been to go to the Grand Canyon before your died, but you are on Chemo - so you don't get to.  And what is it with granny wanting to leave the house when she has arthritis?  Everyone knows the best thing for arthritis is to stay sitting in your home doing nothing.  And lets not forget the diabtetics.  It is about time they got put in their place for eating too many pies.

Here is an easy one for you my fellow nurses.  When someone has TB do you require the entire hospital to be isolated or just the person who has it?  And this nanny state nonsense of killing grandma.  Unless grandma has dementia and can't make her own decisions than it is no business of yours to tell her she can't go to the store.  Seriously, who do you think you are?  If you don't want your grandmother to get it, talk to her and tell her the risks.  She can decide to follow your advice or not. 

And since when did being able to use a sewing machine make someone a PPE provider?  If any of us walked into a room with a patient wearing some cloth rag instead of an N95 we would get written up because it does almost nothing.

But you know what it does do?  Heat injuries!  I was going to go to Disney World this year until 'the masters of smart' said that masks were mandatory.  OK, lets see what will kill grandma faster.  Grandma wearing a mask in 100+ degree weather, or MAYBE getting exposed to a virus that has a lethality rate around 1%.

The real sick thing is that you have found it acceptable to have the government enforce your will.  The gov. of New York is probably the worst.  After forcing COVID patients back into nursing homes to spread the disease he did an about face with his draconian measures.

"It is worth it if we save just one life" - what a moron.  Lets do the math on this shall we?  Forget about COVID for a moment and consider we have locked people in their homes for the past few months.  On average 40k people a year die of the plain old flu.  I wouldn't doubt if becaause of this quarantine we have saved 10k lives.  Why would we ever let people out of their homes?  While we are at it since "one life" is worth any sacrifice why don't we lower the speed limit to 10mph and outlaw motorcycles?  I bet many of you would be up for that, until it was a vice you liked and than it would be going to far.

And for the love of god please stop acting like this is ebola.  The vast majority of people who get it never even knew they had it.

 

ladycody, BSN, RN

Specializes in CWON.

I am blown away by people in healthcare that just don't get it.  For the love of God ....how did they get licensed?  For those that mention TB...Covid has killed more than twice as many people in 6 months in the US than TB killed between here 1990 and 2006 combined.  TB killed less than 600 people last year and is imminently treatable with early diagnosis.  THAT'S why we don't throw everyone in a mask because of TB (though we for sure take precautions when indicated). As a nurse...do you know how many people I've seen dies from TB in 8 years?  None.  I'm not minimizing TB here either...but people need show that they have a brain and stop comparing the two just because someone on social media with no capacity for intellictual thought threw the comparison out there for others to glom onto.  The flu doesn't impact the body systemically... COVID 19 does.  There are plenty of people in the "recovered" column (yay...right???) that are a far cry from being well...and plenty "recovered" folks have gone home (yay again?) on hospice to die a non-covid death because they're physiological trainwrecks now.  Give me the choice between covid and the flu and I'll take the flu...and I say that with full respect for that little bugger too. I seriously can NOT believe that wearing a mask is so incredibly difficult for crying out loud.  

I picked TB because it is airborne.  And speaking of "how did you get your license" wrapping a rag around your mouth does not stop any disease.  If the masks helped at all (and they really don't) what little help they do provide goes out the window after 5 minutes of you breathing in the thing because it gets wet from breathing.  I did say one thing that was incorrect.  COVID does not kill 1% of the people that get it, it kills 0.4%.  It kills almost no one under the age of 25, and most aren't even aware that they have it.  

And people are screwed up AFTER getting COVID?  Nice half truth there.... you should report the news.  The people who get COVID and suffer from it were screwed up BEFORE they got COVID.  That is what immune compromised means ya know.

You protect the at risk population the same way you would an AIDS or a Chemo patient.  You tell little Johnny he is going to have to face time with Grandma - you don't yank him out of school for a disease that even if he gets it he probably wouldn't know, and has almost zero chance of killing him.  And the authoritarian outlook  you people have - good god.  If Grandma (lets say she is immune compromised) wants to see little johnny and does not have dementia and knows the risk who the hell are you or the government to say that she can't?

Your selective answers to my questions says it all.  How about the Disney World mask thing with heat stroke?  And I am sure face rags work wonders for Asthma and COPD... esp. in 100 degree heat.  Oh wait, it rains like every other hour in Florida so are you all for having these people putting on a completely useless mask that is wet?

Also a nice little lie that is being perpetrated is that the face rag protects the person wearing it.  It does not, but that is part of the patient education thing that some of us in the nursing prof. have chosen to not tell people.

You protect people who are immune compromised by having them change their habits.  You do not change the rest of society, much less shutting down the economy for months.

And don't feed me some nonsense about "is it really that big of a deal"?  I am not one of the sheeple that is going to do something just to get along.  If the government said I needed to pray to Satan to protect me from COVID I wouldn't do that either.  Would it hurt anything if I did  - no, but I am not doing it because it is stupid.

ladycody, BSN, RN

Specializes in CWON.

Can't even waste my breath...there's just too much to address here...but you don't sound like anyone who has worked with covid patients.  You aren't licensed...so at least there's at least that offers me a bit of hope.  Keep learning...spend some time with evidence based info and statistics...and maybe a few Covid patients. I've worked with some amazing CNAs/PCTs with truly fabulous critical thinking skills.... maybe one day it will click. 

7 minutes ago, ladycody said:

Can't even waste my breath...there's just too much to address here...but you don't sound like anyone who has worked with covid patients.  You aren't licensed...so at least there's at least that offers me a bit of hope.  Keep learning...spend some time with evidence based info and statistics...and maybe a few Covid patients. I've worked with some amazing CNAs/PCTs with truly fabulous critical thinking skills.... maybe one day it will click. 

I am an RN - RN follows my name the same as yours (I presume you are, from your posts you intentionally put in 1/2 truths, so it would not surprise me to find out you are in 8th grade or something).  Tell you what, I will take your advice and try to learn as much as I can (I do that anyway).  What I would ask of you is that you develop some sense of morality that you do not get to force your will on other people just for the pleasure of it.

And that is the saddest cop out I have ever heard.  "oh, I can't waste my breath".  Ya, keep telling yourself that so you can maintain that inflated ego you have.  I feel sorry for your COPD patients that you put in 100 degree weather with a wet rag around their face to protect them from a disease that has a 0.4% kill rate.  I guess I missed that class in nursing school where that is a good idea.  Was it on NCLEX?  I probably got that one wrong along with the one where I was supposed to apply leaches to suck out the bad blood.

See, you taught me something already.  THANKS!

6 hours ago, car48 said:

I agree.  The government should make a new task force of men armed with cattle prods to walk the streets and shock people whenever they touch their faces too.

Furthermore, we should jail all people who are immune compromised.  Sorry John, your wish may have been to go to the Grand Canyon before your died, but you are on Chemo - so you don't get to.  And what is it with granny wanting to leave the house when she has arthritis?  Everyone knows the best thing for arthritis is to stay sitting in your home doing nothing.  And lets not forget the diabtetics.  It is about time they got put in their place for eating too many pies.

Here is an easy one for you my fellow nurses.  When someone has TB do you require the entire hospital to be isolated or just the person who has it?  And this nanny state nonsense of killing grandma.  Unless grandma has dementia and can't make her own decisions than it is no business of yours to tell her she can't go to the store.  Seriously, who do you think you are?  If you don't want your grandmother to get it, talk to her and tell her the risks.  She can decide to follow your advice or not. 

And since when did being able to use a sewing machine make someone a PPE provider?  If any of us walked into a room with a patient wearing some cloth rag instead of an N95 we would get written up because it does almost nothing.

But you know what it does do?  Heat injuries!  I was going to go to Disney World this year until 'the masters of smart' said that masks were mandatory.  OK, lets see what will kill grandma faster.  Grandma wearing a mask in 100+ degree weather, or MAYBE getting exposed to a virus that has a lethality rate around 1%.

The real sick thing is that you have found it acceptable to have the government enforce your will.  The gov. of New York is probably the worst.  After forcing COVID patients back into nursing homes to spread the disease he did an about face with his draconian measures.

"It is worth it if we save just one life" - what a moron.  Lets do the math on this shall we?  Forget about COVID for a moment and consider we have locked people in their homes for the past few months.  On average 40k people a year die of the plain old flu.  I wouldn't doubt if becaause of this quarantine we have saved 10k lives.  Why would we ever let people out of their homes?  While we are at it since "one life" is worth any sacrifice why don't we lower the speed limit to 10mph and outlaw motorcycles?  I bet many of you would be up for that, until it was a vice you liked and than it would be going to far.

And for the love of god please stop acting like this is ebola.  The vast majority of people who get it never even knew they had it.

 

Nonsense. I hope that this flawed thinking isn't too widely spread among nurses. 

Quote

But you know what it does do?  Heat injuries!  I was going to go to Disney World this year until ’the masters of smart’ said that masks were mandatory. OK, lets see what will kill grandma faster.  Grandma wearing a mask in 100+ degree weather, or MAYBE getting exposed to a virus that has a lethality rate around 1%. 

Quote

I feel sorry for your COPD patients that you put in 100 degree weather with a wet rag around their face to protect them from a disease that has a 0.4% kill rate. I guess I missed that class in nursing school where that is a good idea. Was it on NCLEX?

 

What’s the ”lethality rate” you’re talking about? Not to mention the ”kill rate”? (that last one sounds a bit 🔫🪓🧨). 

Is it CFR you’re referring to, or an estimated IFR? Perhaps both since you mention different rates in your two posts? Is your COPD patient younger than grandma? Just out of curiosity, where did you get your numbers?
 

Either way, the risk to grandma or grandpa is likely higher than the numbers you mentioned, if they should contract Covid-19, unless granny and gramps happens to be very young.

Mask or no mask, going to Disney World or any other outdoor venue in 100+ weather is probably not the best idea for most elderly folks. 

The elderly are often more prone to heat stroke due to physiological changes/aging (for example changes to skin, poor blood circulation, change in sweat glands) and they are even more susceptible if they are on medications like for example diuretics and antihypertensives. Diabetes (with neuropathy) can interfere with vasodilation, perspiration and thermoregulatory input. Etc. etc. But being a nurse you already know this. So wearing a mask is unlikely to be the ”one thing” that makes traipsing around outdoors in extreme temperatures, a less than stellar idea. 

Edited by macawake

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK