Jump to content

Why are some RNs rarely busy, while others are always busy

Nurses   (16,310 Views | 77 Replies)

4,794 Profile Views; 183 Posts

Is the RN who is not busy all the time a better nurse, more organized, and efficient? Or is the busy RN the better nurse? I've seen RNs who are never busy, but others nurses say they are horrible nurses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sour Lemon has 9 years experience.

3 Followers; 4,447 Posts; 33,509 Profile Views

On 4/11/2020 at 6:21 PM, DesiDani said:

Is the RN who is not busy all the time a better nurse, more organized, and efficient? Or is the busy RN the better nurse? I've seen RNs who are never busy, but others nurses say they are horrible nurses. 

There are a bunch of possibilities. Assignments vary from day to day, of course. And some nurses look out for their friends and make sure they're assigned the easiest patients.

I once worked the opposite shift and took over for a nurse who was never busy (on our regular shift) ...and oh boy! Medications were left in cups at the bedside, piggy backs that were supposed to have been run were documented as given but not even connected, an obtunded patient with a feeding tube had a bunch of pills in and falling out of her mouth, blood and urine soaked linens were simply covered up with a clean blanket, etc.

Some nurses are actually well-organized, but someone who is never busy when everyone else is always busy is suspect to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

brownbook has 35 years experience.

1 Follower; 3,413 Posts; 46,583 Profile Views

Common sense says any worker in any job shouldn't have a lot of downtime every day, or shift. Especially when co-workers are obviously busy.

Maybe some workers are super efficient?

Personally if I'm all caught up I seek out something work related to do. I hate sitting around doing nothing, watching the clock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 Followers; 3,810 Posts; 29,140 Profile Views

I’m crazy efficient so I rarely “look” busy but that doesn’t mean I’m not working hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JadedCPN has 13 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU.

1 Follower; 997 Posts; 8,719 Profile Views

43 minutes ago, Wuzzie said:

I’m crazy efficient so I rarely “look” busy but that doesn’t mean I’m not working hard.

Same. Which works out in my favor when I actually do look busy because my coworkers know that means I’m really drowning. But otherwise I always make sure everyone around me doesn’t need help with anything.

On the other hand, I know many nurses who are always “busy” and frazzled every single shift no matter what, even if they’ve got the “easy” assignment.
It’s all in perspective and of course time management.

Edited by JadedCPN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K+MgSO4 has 12 years experience as a BSN and specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

1 Follower; 1,747 Posts; 22,661 Profile Views

On 4/11/2020 at 8:36 PM, JadedCPN said:

Same. Which works out in my favor when I actually do look busy because my coworkers know that means I’m really drowning. But otherwise I always make sure everyone around me doesn’t need help with anything.

On the other hand, I know many nurses who are always “busy” and frazzled every single shift no matter what, even if they’ve got the “easy” assignment.
It’s all in perspective and of course time management.

Agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mmc51264 has 8 years experience as a ADN, BSN, MSN, RN and specializes in orthopedic; Informatics, diabetes.

2,836 Posts; 39,601 Profile Views

I am really good at multi-tasking and had a natural affinity to EPIC. I started at a LTC so learned time management and prioritization early. I don't think I am a better nurse, but I feel like I am efficient.

I also can't sit still much. I'm the one that will clean out chart boxes, check the little drawers in the rooms. I find all kinds of interesting things 🙂 .

Some nurses are very methodical and slow and they are great nurses. I just hate leaving things undone because you never know when something might go wonky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CalicoKitty has 8 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Med-surg.

1 Follower; 722 Posts; 16,853 Profile Views

Sometimes people don't look for things to do. Sometimes I come into shifts (I work nights) and cleaned up crap that hand't been done..

Some of my pet peeves are when meds are ordered wrong. I really hate when the binders for dialysis patients are ordered TID, so they populate at 6am, 2pm and 10pm. Before and well after meal times. This annoys me because it was ordered wrong by a doctor, missed by pharmacy, and not picked up on by nurses...

I know patients don't get turned. Heck, barely out of bed, it is "easier" (faster) to clean a bed than to get a patient to the toilet/commode.

Orders that were never done - labs, ecg's, new(ish) meds.

I know I have more time during the nights, so I try to sort through overdue "tasks" and figure out what was not done and rectify it. But, it can take a lot of time. Lots may be me just sitting in front of the computer, so maybe I don't even look busy. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

amoLucia specializes in LTC.

2 Followers; 5,621 Posts; 47,268 Profile Views

On 4/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, Sour Lemon said:

Some nurses are actually well-organized, but someone who is never busy when everyone else is always busy is suspect to me.

Oh, just to follow behind that person and you'll soon come to your own conclusions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

buckchaser10 has 3 years experience.

42 Posts; 134 Profile Views

As others have said, some busy nurses are truly busy while others suck at time management. Some non-busy nurses are great at time management while others are just lazy. Regardless the old adage time to lean time to clean applies to the latter group. If you aren't busy (no charting, no patient care tasks) you really should be doing something to better the unit or build rapport with the patients. After all, nurses aren't busy they just play cards all shift (serious sarcasm.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BSNbeDONE has 34 years experience as a ASN, BSN, LPN, RN and specializes in Med/Surg, LTACH, LTC, Home Health.

2,402 Posts; 24,956 Profile Views

On 4/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, Sour Lemon said:

There are a bunch of possibilities. Assignments vary from day to day, of course. And some nurses look out for their friends and make sure they're assigned the easiest patients.

I once worked the opposite shift and took over for a nurse who was never busy (on our regular shift) ...and oh boy! Medications were left in cups at the bedside, piggy backs that were supposed to have been run were documented as given but not even connected, an obtunded patient with a feeding tube had a bunch of pills in and falling out of her mouth, blood and urine soaked linens were simply covered up with a clean blanket, etc.

Some nurses are actually well-organized, but someone who is never busy when everyone else is always busy is suspect to me.

THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^

It’s Sunday morning. Don’t get me started!🤬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

meanmaryjean has 40 years experience as a DNP, RN and specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

4 Followers; 7,619 Posts; 66,384 Profile Views

I used to work with a nurse who spent the FIRST hour of her shift having breakfast, a second cup of coffee and schmoozing with her co-workers - and the LAST hour of her shift begging for help because she was so hopelessly behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.