Jump to content

Unvaccinated nursing instructor in Missouri is hospitalized with Covid-19 and urging everyone to get the vaccine

Posted

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 44 years experience.

Christy Henry RN has learned a hard lesson:  one can catch COVID-19 ANYWHERE.  Leaving my camp position tonight, went to 3 pharmacies for med  + DME supplies so masked up, despite being fully vaccinated. 

CNN 7/23/2021

Unvaccinated Missouri nursing instructor with Covid: 'Never in a million years do you think it's going to happen to you'

Quote

... after Covid-19 vaccines became widely distributed in the Spring, Henry and her family chose to not get inoculated. Henry said they felt because of their rural location and lifestyle, their risk of exposure was low....

Her family did not have any Fourth of July gatherings and she is not sure how they got infected. But now, she and her husband, Lonnie, are in the hospital recovering from Covid-19.

While one of her six children also tested positive and avoided hospitalization, Lonnie is currently on a ventilator. Christy herself was intubated for at least two days.

Her doctor told her she is lucky to be alive, Christy told CNN from her hospital bed.

"Covid-19 is extremely, extremely serious," she said, urging everyone she knows to get vaccinated....

 

...

MunoRN, RN

Specializes in Critical Care. Has 10 years experience.

She's an actively working nursing clinical instructor and "is not sure how they got infected"?  

Moron.

NRSKarenRN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 44 years experience.

Yes, active MSN, RN working as LPN Program Coordinator  -- "teaches Fundamentals of Nursing, Medical-Surgical I, Medical-Surgical II, and Mental & Community Health".

 

""Never in a million years do you think it's going to happen to you," she said."

Magical thinking. 

 

macawake, MSN

Has 13 years experience.

I asked a poster in another thread why she thinks that the vaccination rate among U.S. physicians is so much higher than among U.S. nurses. That poster postulated that it’s because nurses have done more research into the vaccines than physicians have, and also that nurses are better at resisting peer pressure than physicians. Of course I disagreed with that and I do believe that this story is proof positive that the explanation she suggested doesn’t hold water. 

It is absolutely dumbfounding to me that a Master’s educated nurse who teaches Community Health, wasn’t capable to apply her own training and knowledge on the decision process of whether to get vaccinated, or not.
If she had, she would have arrived at a different conclusion and she might not have been in that hospital bed now. Well, at least she is doing the right thing now as she encourages others to get vaccinated. It’s quite sad though, that she had to become seriously ill before coming to the realization that vaccines are beneficial to both personal and public health. 

I wish her and her husband a full recovery. 

litepath2

Specializes in ICU/Burn ICU/MSICU/NeuroICU. Has 11 years experience.

So. . .n=1?

IOW, one story of a morbidly obese MSN changing her tune proves little. We can speculate till the cows come home.

This story reminds me of. . . . "There are no atheists in foxholes" .

 

6 minutes ago, litepath2 said:

IOW, one story of a morbidly obese MSN changing her tune proves little. We can speculate till the cows come home.

It doesn't really need to prove anything; it's simply a fine example of the impaired or mistaken line of thinking in the face of significant evidence contrary to the stated belief. She was not vaccinated, she was a nurse working as a nursing instructor, she has at least some major risk factors that have been known about for some time now, yet she is quoted as thinking along the lines that this could never happen in a million years. This  is a particularly fascinating n=1. It would be helpful if she were willing to participate in additional interviewing or even formal study related to her beliefs and thought processes prior to infection.

 

Curious1997, BSN

Specializes in Psych, Medical. Has 13 years experience.

20 hours ago, macawake said:

I asked a poster in another thread why she thinks that the vaccination rate among U.S. physicians is so much higher than among U.S. nurses. That poster postulated that it’s because nurses have done more research into the vaccines than physicians have, and also that nurses are better at resisting peer pressure than physicians. Of course I disagreed with that and I do believe that this story is proof positive that the explanation she suggested doesn’t hold water. 

It is absolutely dumbfounding to me that a Master’s educated nurse who teaches Community Health, wasn’t capable to apply her own training and knowledge on the decision process of whether to get vaccinated, or not.
If she had, she would have arrived at a different conclusion and she might not have been in that hospital bed now. Well, at least she is doing the right thing now as she encourages others to get vaccinated. It’s quite sad though, that she had to become seriously ill before coming to the realization that vaccines are beneficial to both personal and public health. 

I wish her and her husband a full recovery. 

Don't know how familiar you are with the American education system but it results in extremely competent and effective professionals within their own spheres, but very limited in all round knowledge and applications. Part of my education was in England and there's a big difference in all round knowledge. Even the cultures are different. In England, people seemed to enjoy knowledge for knowledge sake, hence all the documentaries, here it's a tool for economic and social reasons. Social climbing! 

It's why Americans are so gullible. Very little reference points to rely on. Just look at our news for evidence, compared to your Swedish news. Actually ask an American where Sweden or Denmark is?

I recently was chatting to a Merck head of Dept who came back from China and was rerouted through Taiwan and wanted to know which city in China, was Taiwan? After half a dozen trips to China and didn't know or made any effort to know! 

GrumpyRN, NP

Specializes in Emergency Department. Has 39 years experience.

How do you spell "Schadenfreude" or "Epicaricacy?"

Perhaps they should be a candidate for a Darwin Award.

https://darwinawards.com/

Curious1997, BSN

Specializes in Psych, Medical. Has 13 years experience.

7 hours ago, GrumpyRN said:

How do you spell "Schadenfreude" or "Epicaricacy?"

Perhaps they should be a candidate for a Darwin Award.

https://darwinawards.com/

Thank you GrumpyRN for that site. I read several of the stories. It's the reason I can't stand stupid people. Aside from their demise, think of how many people they endangered? That's the reason I can't stand stupid people and I am relentlessly nasty to them, until they get the picture to stay away from me completely! 

I know it sounds cruel, but I have seen too many times the havoc they create and then escape, with everyone being polite and sympathetic, only to repeat their mayhem again. 

11 hours ago, Curious1997 said:

Don't know how familiar you are with the American education system but it results in extremely competent and effective professionals within their own spheres, but very limited in all round knowledge and applications. Part of my education was in England and there's a big difference in all round knowledge. Even the cultures are different. In England, people seemed to enjoy knowledge for knowledge sake, hence all the documentaries, here it's a tool for economic and social reasons. Social climbing! 

It's why Americans are so gullible. Very little reference points to rely on. Just look at our news for evidence, compared to your Swedish news. Actually ask an American where Sweden or Denmark is?

I recently was chatting to a Merck head of Dept who came back from China and was rerouted through Taiwan and wanted to know which city in China, was Taiwan? After half a dozen trips to China and didn't know or made any effort to know! 

Completely agree. The no curiosity is a weird thing to me. I live on the Navajo reservation and idiot travel nurses come to help in a pandemic and aren’t vaccinated. WTH is this? Also, they had no idea (no curiosity) about where they were, history or get this! That natives were forcibly removed from their native lands hence reservations. I am astonished about the lack of general knowledge, cultures, etc. 

londonflo

Specializes in oncology. Has 44 years experience.

I saw someone with the tshirt shown below: My husband wanted to add "Uneducated" and I wanted to add "uninsured"... of course he did not have a mask on, although all the door signs said if unvaccinated, wear a mask.

unvaccinated.jpg