How many times did it take to pass the state test

Nursing Students NCLEX

Published

I was wondering how many times on average it take people to pass the state exams. My school tells me that most people take about two attempts to pass.

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

Everyone in my whole class passed. The first time. This was expected back in the 1990s I guess. I am stunned to see as many as 6 or more attempts. If I had that issue, I would definitely take refresher coursework.

I am not dissing anyone, but really? That many times indicates a lack of understanding of the fundamentals of nursing. Anyone who needs that many times to pass will have a rough first year or two. Not being mean, honestly. I just would definitely try to understand why I cannot understand basic fundamentals, knowing nursing is hard enough, NCLEX or not.

I was wondering how many times on average it take people to pass the state exams. My school tells me that most people take about two attempts to pass.

If people from your school take an average of two attempts to pass, that is very concerning. One time is normal, and after each failure, your statistical odds of failing again increase.

There is a student section of this site that you might be interested in browsing:

https://allnurses.com/nursing-student/

Back in June/July when I took it the majority of my class of 40 or so passed on the first try. I don't know if this is the norm, just what happened we took it. I would agree with the other poster that each time you take it that you probably have less of a chance of passing the more attempts you make... if you are at 3-5 attempts you may as well just retake the course all over again IMO.

You have posted 18 times today worrying about work schedules, passing the NCLEX etc. Please just breathe in and out and understand that there is a long way to go before you have to worry about most things you are worried about. Enjoy the process!! Nursing school will be tough enough without worrying about what may or may not happen in 2+ years.

Specializes in ICU.

The 2017 statistics from NCSBN show that 87% of first time, US-educated test takers pass. If most people from your school are taking more than one time to pass, you all are extremely behind the average.

You are attending a really crappy school if "most" people don't pass NCLEX the first time.

Specializes in SRNA.

87-90% of US-trained RNs pass the NCLEX on the first try. Your school is making excuses for doing a poor job in preparing you for a test that is testing you at a minimum competency level.

My class had a 100% first-time pass rate and we all graduated in Aug.

+ Add a Comment