PANDAS/PANS

Specialties School

Published

Went to a recent meeting and thought I would share the handouts on PANDAS/PANS. I knew of PANDAS but learned so much more. Thoughts?

00206BB8D9B1181019085455.pdf

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

This is excellent and so timely for me! I was literally just looking this up last week. Thanks for sharing:inlove:

Specializes in School Nurse.

Great info, thanks for sharing.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

I learned a new thing! Thank you.

Thank-you! I know some doctors deny that this is a legitimate dx but it is a diagnosis that some kids have so the more information we are armed with, the better. Especially since the antivaxxers LOVE to talk about PANDAS because they are convinced that vaccines are the trigger.

Specializes in nurseline,med surg, PD.

Is this for real?

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Never heard of illness.... TY for posting. Always learn something new when I peek in this forum.

Is this for real?

Very much so. I actually have a student that has been diagnosed. The symptoms initially presented as Tourette's-like: extremely impulsive, vocal tics, involuntary muscle movements, poor retention, zero attention span, anxiety, ect. But all of these came on suddenly, over the course of a month you could see a distinct deterioration in her hand-writing. She went from incredibly neat writing (especially for elementary!) to serial killer scribbles. The neurologist swabbed her throat on a hunch and, sure enough, it was positive. Antibiotics to treat the strep helped decrease symptoms. Illness, increased stress, and exposure to strep cause flare ups. We are currently doing a IHP (instead of a 504 or IEP) with lots of in class interventions like allowed to chew gum because it helps during times of high motor needs and decreases some of her vocal tics, no drinking from the school water fountain, notifying parent when a case of strep is reported to the school, brain breaks as needed, unrestricted restroom access...

Specializes in School Nurse.
Is this for real?

Very much so. I had a co-worker whose son had a sudden onset of tourettes like symptoms. Doctor swabbed his throat, came back positive, started a round of antibiotics for strep, and symptoms cleared up.

Specializes in CPN.

I've read about this! Legit scary, as the symptoms are so easily dismissed as behavior issues. I'm glad the info about it is spreading around more. Thanks for sharing!

+ Add a Comment