[TD]

[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]school nurse of a public elementary school who determines or

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]otherwise becomes aware that a child enrolled in the school has lice

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]shall provide written or electronic notice of that fact to:

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is an excerpt from SB 1566 which passed into law in Texas on 9/1/17. Here's my question to other Texas School Nurses specifically but I always welcome input from others.

Have you guys ever seen a clarification or received input from "associations" as to what the definition of "otherwise becomes aware?"

For instance, have I "otherwise become aware" if a parent tells a teacher they have treated their child for head lice and the teacher tells me?

In other words can "hearsay" be a legitimate mechanism to "otherwise become aware...of that fact..." as written in the law above and trigger the legal requirement for parent notices of head lice in a classroom?

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

so let me get this straight... they want you to incite mass chaos because a parent calls you to tell you they treated Nadine for lice over break? And they want you to also incite the same chaos because Mrs. Ellis knows that Mrs. Dawes treated her Joseph for lice and can you please check all the kids sitting at that table because she's already checked her little Sally, because "you know how these things spread:sniff:." If my appraisal is correct, then this is a huge step backward. Your legislators need to have their heads checked - and I don't mean for lice.

I do send the letter with your example of when a parent tells a teacher they treated their kid for lice.

I do not send letters for rumors, or parents saying "I heard XXX was treated for lice" or kids telling me XXX has lice - I don't even entertain the idea of checking on those kids either. Honestly, I don't even bother with those kids that tell me "I had lice, my mom treated me". Maybe not smart on my part but I am of the thought - "don't ask, don't tell" if a parent finds lice, treat it and be done.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
so let me get this straight... they want you to incite mass chaos because a parent calls you to tell you they treated Nadine for lice over break? And they want you to also incite the same chaos because Mrs. Ellis knows that Mrs. Dawes treated her Joseph for lice and can you please check all the kids sitting at that table because she's already checked her little Sally, because "you know how these things spread:sniff:." If my appraisal is correct, then this is a huge step backward. Your legislators need to have their heads checked - and I don't mean for lice.

Tell me about it!!

I'm thinking if I didn't see it myself, there is no "fact" to make anyone else aware of...

Hearsay is inadmissible.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
I'm thinking if I didn't see it myself, there is no "fact" to make anyone else aware of...

Hearsay is inadmissible.

I like the way you think!

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

We send out a generic "there has been a case of lice in the school" letter if I find or we get credible info (parent calls and tells us). That said, I would use "otherwise becomes aware" only if I have a child standing in front of me with lice, or a parent calls me directly and states so.

Specializes in School Nurse.

I think I would follow the old nursing school rule...If you didn't see it, it didn't happen.

Specializes in school nursing/ maternal/child hospital based.

Hearsay is inadmissible.

AGREE!!!

Just another reason I'm so glad I work with the big 'uns! I saw this law and just shook my head. I have to agree with the others, tho, 1. don't ask, don't tell and 2. if i didn't see it/chart it...it didn't happen.

As a school nurse in Texas, I must say this is one of the reasons why I will always stick with the secondary crowd!!!

However, I so support those that choose the don't ask, don't tell way of thinking!

No. NO NO NO.

Cite NASN and the CDC.

And make them cool their jets.

(Now I'm itchy!)

+ Add a Comment