Enablement Overload

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in school nurse.

It just...gets to me sometimes. I know it's common and it's everywhere, but it still does.

(5th grader)

"My belly really hurts."

"How long has it been bothering you for?"

"Like three minutes."

I usually let it slide off my back, but sometimes kids' increasing lack of any resilience and/or ability to deal with adversity of any sort just fills me with concern (or dread) for the future.

I honestly don't think I even knew where the nurse's office was when I was in school..

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I'm hoping it's not really as many as it seems, comparatively speaking, considering the entire student body. But yes, I agree. I had a kid in here this morning, 3rd grader, pooped in his pants because a spider was on the restroom floor and he was afraid to go in.

Yes.

The complete inability to deal with anything less than perfect comfort is astounding these days.

I'm hoping it's not really as many as it seems, comparatively speaking, considering the entire student body. But yes, I agree. I had a kid in here this morning, 3rd grader, pooped in his pants because a spider was on the restroom floor and he was afraid to go in.

Oh wow.

Specializes in School Nursing.

I agree. They play in the mud, go to the nurse. They spill water on their shirt, go the nurse, invisible cut, go to the nurse.

Am I wrong for saying, "if you play in the mud, you can wear muddy clothes?" and "the water will dry on its own"??

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.
I agree. They play in the mud, go to the nurse. They spill water on their shirt, go the nurse, invisible cut, go to the nurse.

Am I wrong for saying, "if you play in the mud, you can wear muddy clothes?" and "the water will dry on its own"??

nope- i say it all the time.

Specializes in school nurse.

OMG, number two!! "I was just switching classes and my stomach started to hurt out of nowhere..."

"There's my bathroom; go sit for awhile...":wideyed:

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

He might be one of those higher consciousness kids.

You never know, OldDude.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27622&stc=1

Specializes in School Nursing.

We (society) are raising a lot of " soon to be adults " who have NO coping skills. Yes, even a five year old can have coping skills !! How will they stand the pressure of a coach telling them they need to toughen up ? Or a Teacher admonishing them to study for their upcoming test ? How will they survive the work force ( which is very competitive) ? Do we really want wimpy Marines defending our country ? I'm not saying ALL kids are snowflakes, but the vast majority are these days. I fear the shape of our world in several decades. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I get a student in my clinic who is legitimately sick......I LOVE helping them until parents arrive. ( not that I want any child sick ) , but 9 out of 10 of my clinic visits are for trivial things. Things that (age appropriate) kids who have healthy coping skills can easily handle......if they were taught by parents who give a crap. Sorry...not Sorry.. Truth...

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.
OMG, number two!! "I was just switching classes and my stomach started to hurt out of nowhere..."

"There's my bathroom; go sit for awhile...":wideyed:

*goes into the bathroom for literally 4 seconds*

" that didn't help"

Jed, you're not still in the HS?

The kids don't know the difference between pain and discomfort.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

I work adolescent psych and agree that the main problem is we as a society have raised a generation of kids with no emotional resilience. It's disheartening to say the least. One of the Dr. called the parenting style that creates this type of kid as Lawn Mower parents who basically smooth the way so that their children never experience any difficulty.

Hppy

+ Add a Comment