Health records- online or paper or both???

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in 8 years as a school nurse.

I'm just about out of blank student health record cards and it has me 1. searching where to order more? and 2. wondering if the rest of you still keep paper files or is it only electronic?

I do both, but can't see eliminating one because there are so many times our system/internet is down and I pull info from the paper record. Also, the electronic records make communication of student health info with staff so much easier. The Student Health record card that I've been using has demographics, screenings, history, and immunization data all on one page. I haven't been able to find it online to order more. I'm pretty sure these were ordered over 10 years ago. I could maybe just photocopy more on card stock. What do you do for student health records?

We do paper because my principal LOVES PAPER! Paper paper paper! Fun part is that in our state all records need to be saved for 50 years. Our school has been open for 4. We already ran out of room.

I do have allergy/asthma/dietary restriction info electronically in our system so all teachers can see it.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

We keep the individual health/contact information sheets in binders. Believe it or not we CAN experience a power outage and no information is available. Otherwise most other health information is online.

Ours is online. We are supposed to run a report of the health info weekly, save into a PDF and download on our ipads - we would use this info incase of a disaster, power outage etc. Our office data clerk also prints out emergency contact info for everyone and is stored in 3 huge binders - we would have access to that if needed.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
We keep the individual health/contact information sheets in binders. Believe it or not we CAN experience a power outage and no information is available. Otherwise most other health information is online.

We have to print out one copy of the important health conditions and contact info each month because of that....but I keep it on my desktop because it's a big file. In my new district, subs don't have access to the EHR, so we are keeping both paper and electronic copies.

Specializes in School Nursing, Pediatrics.

We have both paper and electronic. Though the paper is only for immunizations and doctors notes. WHile I chart everything in SNAP.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.
I'm just about out of blank student health record cards and it has me 1. searching where to order more? and 2. wondering if the rest of you still keep paper files or is it only electronic?

I do both, but can't see eliminating one because there are so many times our system/internet is down and I pull info from the paper record. Also, the electronic records make communication of student health info with staff so much easier. The Student Health record card that I've been using has demographics, screenings, history, and immunization data all on one page. I haven't been able to find it online to order more. I'm pretty sure these were ordered over 10 years ago. I could maybe just photocopy more on card stock. What do you do for student health records?

Cards? I been wondering if there's an easier way to keep my files neat and not so full of papers. Besides cards, anyone else has ideas?

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

We use Renweb, it is web based, therefore we can access it via our phones. Love this part of it. I started with paper the last trimester of the year I started, but quickly went to SNAP and now renweb.

+ Add a Comment