Curiosity

Specialties School

Published

How many student's do you see a day?

Yesterday, I saw about 38 student including my routine meds students.

I think that's the most I've seen this year!

When I first started at my current district, I was working in a jr high with 1100 students. The previous nurse had been let go under suspicious circumstances and had NOT kept an orderly office at all. 80 kids a day were coming in and clearly had the expectation that I would let them sit in the health office for a while, if not the rest of the class period. Within a month, I had it down to a much more manageable 40 visits a day (not including routine meds or diabetic care) within a month.

I'm K-5 and have around 400 students. Not counting meds, I see an average of about 20 a day. Some days it's 10, somedays it's 48. But overall, it's much better than it has been in years past when I was seeing roughly 60 a day. I'd say 1/8 of visits actually NEED to be seen by the nurse...

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

I have 125 K-8 students. I have 1 T1D, 5 daily meds and approximately 10-15 (around 10%!) visits.

I see about 10 on average. Give 12 daily meds and have 5 diabetics I see several times a day. 860 students 6-8 grade

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

I have about 20 med visits and about the same number of extra ones give or take a few. Goes up during flu season and strep outbreaks. Way too many drive by visits - bandaid for my hangnail, fix my glasses, chapstick, etc.

I have 650 kids we're a full pre-k through 12 school. I see about 20 kids a day. I feel like they come in waves. I had a week of seeing 50 kids daily and the past few days has been about 10 a day.

Roughly 880 kids is K-8, including meds I see roughly 15-20 kids a day. For the most part my teachers do an amazing job at screening which things can be handled in class (papercuts, hangnails, new badage, etc.).

K-5 780 kids, I see ~50-60/day - includes my daily meds (8) and visits from my 3 diabetics ( I see them at least twice a day).

How did you manage that? I have about the same grades, number of students, daily meds and diabetics. I see about 40 on average, as high as 60 and as low as 22, but so far never under that. What is your secret?

I honestly thought that was a lot but I see that it's the low norm in some of your schools.

15 of mine are routine meds including my one diabetic kid that I see twice daily.

My school is pk-5, 748 students.

So I guess I'm not doing too bad and a few of my teachers do take care of the minor things.

Specializes in School Nursing.

One of my schools is 50-70 average WITHOUT screenings. (800 census)

My other school is 20-30, again without screenings added in. (400 census)

One nurse per building a day.

And this is me bringing it DOWN since acquiring my office. The other nurse didn't educate staff as much and "speak up" for unnecessary visits. The staff seem to have a good grip now. These for generally legit concerns.

+ Add a Comment