How do you deal with dizziness and syncope?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

What are some interventions you usually use to deal with syncope and dizziness? I know checking the blood sugar, and vital signs should be the first you do. Then having the person lie flat and and letting them drink warm water, beef bouillon is another thing to do. What about you? What are your tips and tricks?

Darn beat me to it. Is the pt in the ER? On another unit in the hospital? At the grocery store (hopefully in the soup/bouillon aisle)?

OMG, so glad I didn't have a big spoonful of beef bouillon in my mouth when I read that, or it would be all over my computer screen. :D

Lord I hope so... couldn't imagine licking a boullion cube until it was gone..

Nono. You place the cube sublingually so it absorbs faster.

In our dialysis clinic we absolutely still use beef or chicken broth if pressures are too low post run.

Learn something new every day.

Make sure the bed alarm is on. No, seriously.

Specializes in Surgical, Home Infusions, HVU, PCU, Neuro.
Nono. You place the cube sublingually so it absorbs faster.

This could totally be used in a sourhead candy commercial

Specializes in NICU.

years ago ammonia pearls ,depends what is causing it.I have family members that pass out from stress, smell of hospitals,sight of blood,you can see their pupils dilate and boom.

Specializes in ER.

OP;

The answer and the physiology differs if its syncope, or vertigo, or plain dizziness.

What about you? What are your tips and tricks?

Maybe do a little more digging. Assess for what kind of dizziness it is. Lightheaded? Vertigo? Room spinning? When does it happen: standing as well as lying down? Is it position related? Is it constant? Then: Hydration status. Eaten lately? Medications? O2 status. CBC? And of course - chest pain, SOB?

What about you? What are your tips and tricks?

Maybe do a little more digging. Assess for what kind of dizziness it is. Lightheaded? Vertigo? Room spinning? When does it happen: standing as well as lying down? Is it position related? Is it constant? Then: Hydration status. Eaten lately? Medications? O2 status. CBC? And of course - chest pain, SOB?

Smells like homework.

Care plans!!

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.

Still waiting for the context/setting.... :cautious:

+ Add a Comment