Was I hired? I'm freaking out

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hello all! I am new to the allnurses community and I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on my situation. I have done some research on my own but nothing quite relates to my situation and I'm freaking out.

So... I'm a licensed new grad and got a call back after filling out an application at the hospital I've been dreaming of working at. The thing is, I applied to an "invite only" hiring event (along with other positions) where I interviewed with the Unit manager, the assistant unit manager, and another staff member. The interview went well, and at the end was under the impression that got the job. Even when I asked at the end of the interview "if I'm hired, what will orientation be like?" She smiled (in a friendly way), looked me in the eye and said "you will get a call back..." and went on to explain how orientation worked. Of course at this point I didn't assume I had the position and asked another question and said "if I am employed by XYZ hospital, how soon would I know?" She looked at me and smiled (not in a sarcastic way) and said "you WILL get a call back from HR. I make the ultimate decisions and I have to send your name over to HR. I can't formally make the offer, HR does, and they go over pay, benefits, etc. But you should hear from them soon" She even had the assistant unit manager gave me his card should I have any questions that I forgot to ask during the interview.

She went on to say she doesn't know when the position will open (what the neck, right?), or when exactly HR would call me, but it should defitely be within a week of the interview.

Fast forward to today (a day shy of 2 wks), and no call :(

I called HR but they don't know what's going on and I'm starting to freak out.

Am I expecting a call back too soon (despite being told I should get a call back within a week)? Did I not get the job? :down: is there something else I should be doing?! Or should I just keep my butt cool and just wait?

Yea, I'm getting a better idea of how the actual staff on the floor (including the unit manager) and HR are not as connected as I thought.

Thank you for your story!

Call and follow up, ask if the position has been filled. I did that a week after my first interview and it landed me a second interview. good luck

I would suggest emailing instead rather that calling and putting people on the spot. Thank them for the interview and inquire whether you're still considered for the position. I do, however, think you read too much into what they said, they were just answering your "what if" questions, not actually offering you the job.

Specializes in Pedi.
Hello all! I am new to the allnurses community and I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on my situation. I have done some research on my own but nothing quite relates to my situation and I'm freaking out.

So... I'm a licensed new grad and got a call back after filling out an application at the hospital I've been dreaming of working at. The thing is, I applied to an "invite only" hiring event (along with other positions) where I interviewed with the Unit manager, the assistant unit manager, and another staff member. The interview went well, and at the end was under the impression that got the job. Even when I asked at the end of the interview "if I'm hired, what will orientation be like?" She smiled (in a friendly way), looked me in the eye and said "you will get a call back..." and went on to explain how orientation worked. Of course at this point I didn't assume I had the position and asked another question and said "if I am employed by XYZ hospital, how soon would I know?" She looked at me and smiled (not in a sarcastic way) and said "you WILL get a call back from HR. I make the ultimate decisions and I have to send your name over to HR. I can't formally make the offer, HR does, and they go over pay, benefits, etc. But you should hear from them soon" She even had the assistant unit manager gave me his card should I have any questions that I forgot to ask during the interview.

She went on to say she doesn't know when the position will open (what the neck, right?), or when exactly HR would call me, but it should defitely be within a week of the interview.

Fast forward to today (a day shy of 2 wks), and no call :(

I called HR but they don't know what's going on and I'm starting to freak out.

Am I expecting a call back too soon (despite being told I should get a call back within a week)? Did I not get the job? :down: is there something else I should be doing?! Or should I just keep my butt cool and just wait?

If you're hired, you will receive a call from HR. That's a normal way to answer that question. It means neither that you got the job nor that you didn't. It means only that if you are hired, HR will let you know.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi,

Did you send a thank you note to the people who interviewed you? If not I would do so, as it opens the doors for reminding them you are still interested in the job, and what you can offer if you were to get it. Also more importantly, it shows you have the curtesy to thank them for their time.

Annie

"She went on to say she didn't know when the position would be open..."

The dance between a unit manager, director, finance, and HR is delicate and filled with changes. In order for HR to hire you, they have to have an open job posted. Sounds like they may not be at that step. This could have nothing to do with you (or anyone else) and more about the manager waiting to get her position vacated/approved/posted etc. The fact that you met the team at a job fair, instead of you applying directly for the job, leads me to believe that the manager does not have an approved position to fill.

It's really weird, but I GOT THE JOB!! I'm so excited. It was really weird how everything went but, like elkpark said, you dnt really have the job until you get the offer.... and I got it! Thanks everybody for the feedback/input!!

Congratulations!

I had an interview yesterday that I think went really great. However, I was told that the person who does the next step will be out for the next 3 weeks and that they had a lot of good candidates. So...whatever happens won't be happening any time soon.

Specializes in Psychiatry/Mental Health.
It's really weird, but I GOT THE JOB!! I'm so excited. It was really weird how everything went but, like elkpark said, you dnt really have the job until you get the offer.... and I got it! Thanks everybody for the feedback/input!!

Congratulations! I was really hoping that you got it!

Congrats!

Congratulations!

I had an interview yesterday that I think went really great. However, I was told that the person who does the next step will be out for the next 3 weeks and that they had a lot of good candidates. So...whatever happens won't be happening any time soon.

I hope you get the job! I know it's easier said than done, but try to keep a positive attitude toward and KEEP YOURSELF OCCUPIED!! LOL you will drive yourself crazy thinking about it all of the time...trust me I know.

Make sure to do an appropriate follow up after the interview... I lot of the comments in this discussion helped me ideas on how to communicate to the hiring manager, unit manager, HR/recruitment, and so on.

Keep faith alive, and goodluck! -fingers crossed-

I am so much in a similar situation. I am a new grad from NZ and I had an interview last friday it was a general interview at the hospital. The new Grad co-ord told me there were new opportunities coming up for new grads soon and they wanted me to interview for those roles. However on the interview day there was a charge nurse present too, I didnt know at that time from which ward she was but I had to do a role play for a surgical scenario as part of the interview. I guess I did well although i did small mistakes here and there such as not calling the doctor and communicating regarding the patient, i was more patient focused! and I only checked the temperature , BP and the wound site but forgot to check HR and respiration.. but I guess they wont take these small errors into consideration as they knew I was nervous lol..THey didnt give me any time either for the decision to be told as its like a hospital based bureau!

Anyway after the interview I sent a thank you note to the grad coordinator and also asked her for a feedback regarding my interview, but I have not had any reply from her! I know she could be busy with the new grad intake which started on monday.. but it has been a week since the interview and i have not heard anything.. I am so worried!

+ Add a Comment