Locking the Safety Needle Shield

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

instructions3.png.723777247d42ccd8edb6d82cf834adcc.png

Tonight at work, I had to open a new box of 3 mL Syringes with Hypodermic Safety Needles. There, on top of the packaged 3 mL syringes with Hypodermic Safety Needles, was a form called "Instructions for Use" that I had never seen before so I stuck it in my Cherokee Work Wear Scrubs right leg pocket for later perusal.

There were actual instructions and diagrams on different methods of activating the needle shield! Now, I thought I was a natural because I had never had any training or read the instructions on how to slide the plastic thingy over the needle after an injection. I instinctively realized the plastic thingy was suppose to slide over the needle in order to avoid needle sticks!

However, I am really glad that I read the instructions, because I found out that some of my Locking the Safety Needle Shield techniques are not recommended:

instructions4.png.56d369589c106c5f0ca93ce508b45690.png

Now I know how to correctly Lock the Safety Needle Shield!

Click?

instructions5.png.0170d18210c71c75d1f06ad5e2ad4eaa.png

Alright!

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics.

Davey Do, I thought you might like some of these other ... ah ... instructions!

In Pictures: 24 Stunningly Dumb Warning Labels

I love that enteral feeding bags have a "no Iv" picture on them. How would you even attach the two

Specializes in Medical-Surgical/Float Pool/Stepdown.
I love that enteral feeding bags have a "no Iv" picture on them. How would you even attach the two

It apparently has happened...many more times than once (shiver)

:D

It says not to use patient's eye, can I still keep using my own eye to activate??

Kitiger said:
Davey Do, I thought you might like some of these other ... ah ... instructions!

Thanks, Kitiger!

I found this first one interesting, which read, "The 2010 winner of the annual Wacky Warning Label contest, which challenges Americans to find the most ridiculous warning labels in the country. The Jabra Drive 'N' Talk is a Bluetooth speakerphone accessory for cellphones to be used in the car. The Drive 'N' Talk carries this contradictory warning label: 'Never operate your speakerphone while driving.' "

1925801845_crashnburn1.jpg.06e8c885ad125b88c6db0daf5249b5fc.jpg

Now, in Jabra's defense, the company came up with a more realistic model of the Talk 'N' Drive":

463758450_crashnburn2.jpg.b8c66ee6c47537b0b432b05804f4f5a3.jpg

It has been done, that is why they no longer interface

Triddin said:
I love that enteral feeding bags have a "no Iv" picture on them.

1288854578_ivcoffee.jpg.b408f3eac39af1a0ab3680507aec3ad6.jpg

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.
smf0903 said:

It says not to use patient's eye, can I still keep using my own eye to activate??

Yes, you may use your own eye to activate the locking mechanism on Safety Needle Shield, smf0903.

But be sure to follow the caution as stated on Kitiger's letter opener!

1021329957_safetygoggles2.jpg.2d5d11ff9c8947823fc17862d5a0c3c1.jpg

Ha, ha, some things should just be obvious. I also enjoy the sticker that my hospital's pharmacy attaches to the Flonase that says "For the nose". Thanks for this today, it made me smile.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

Or, maybe your coworkers eye would work better!

+ Add a Comment