Horrible first job - need advice

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hi everyone,

I got my first job as a new grad in the beginning of December (so im coming up on 6 months). bsn is in progress with about 12-18 more months. I work in a hospital on a telemetry/med surg floor.

We are horribly understaffed, we are also ICU overflow and have critical pts sometimes and the ratio goes 6:1 more often than not. I have felt very unsafe with my assignment many times.

Almost a month ago i was injured by a combative patient (due to lack of staff he was supposed to have 1-on-1 supervision which was discontinued before it should have been). I was sent to the ER, treated, followed up with employee health and they sent me to one of their office docs to get cleared. Three visits later i finally got cleared (they were concerned i wasnt healing properly) finally cleared me, back to work, light duty (chest injury). Understaffed, 6 pts - 2 critical, 3 confused. All alarmed, one gets up, i call for help and of course none shows up. The pt is halfway to bathroom and falls risk. I try to steady him and get him sitting down and of course he goes down. He leaned my way and i had the opportunity to catch him - felt like my whole chest wall ripped (just the already damaged muscle pulling more i guess) super sharp pain and i DROP the pt. Handle the situation, notify appropriate people, an hour later im in severe pain still and nursing supervisor gets pissed when i tell her i need to go to the ER again (couldnt catch my breath, tons of chest pressure and pulse ox of 77%). Had to give report to other nurses and walk myself down, nesrly passing out at this point, and was treated again in ER. also, as im in pain charting the fall, supervisor is coaching me to "leave out" parts where i dropped him/couldnt hold.him up. I was in pain and getting lightheaded so i did as told and now im very worried.

then employee health sets up another dr appt with a new guy (other doc was away). He walks in, says my CXR was clear so hes clearing me to go back in 1 day no restrictions. I told him my concerns and he dismissed them, interrupting me. He also marked me off as non-work-related injury (theyre treating the re-injury/exacerbation as a new injury) and that my symptoms and the new injury didnt happen at work. He also didnt assess me - at all. Just sat and talked AT me for a total of 2 mins. No eye contact. I left in tears. Called employee health, emailed HR and my manager. Told my manager everything and said im not coming in tomorrow or ill hurt myself again or another pt possibly. Unless i can be promised light duty (which due to staffing i cant). She said i will be penalized for calling out. Employee health said its coming out of my PTO since it was ruled non work related, and Hr wrote back that they cant do a thing because its a medical situation.

I am so upset and done with this place. Dozens of nurses have quit in the past year with management changes and now i see why

I need advice - do i stick it out til december (1 year) or leave after 6 months? Im not sure how much luck ill have without the BSN being complete...

Im not positive of my end goal but im thinking outpatient, maybe ambulatory surgery or pre/post op, endoscopy something like that. Also considering school nurse cert after BSN is done. I think i can get into somewhere outpt without the complete BSN but would that be stupid? Do i really need that full year - will having 6 months tele unit then afterwards ambulatory surgery or something like that look bad and screw me over later?

Thanks for reading. So stressed about it :/

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

Get out of there and get a lawyer. Sue them. Your sup forced you to lie to avoid hospital accountability. Horrible, terrible place that needs to be punished for abusing staff this way.

Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.

Any time I was on light duty and expected to work I was not allowed to be around patients. Usually light duty is able to lift 10 pounds unassisted. What did your WC paperwork say? Make sure you get a copy of it ASAP. I don't know how it is in your state, but here in FL you are supposed to get a copy of your DWC with your restrictions and one should go to your employer.

Please see a lawyer ASAP. That person will counsel your and help you get all your ducks in a row. I'd also see another provider and get a note excusing you from work, then you can potentially go on short term disability. In the meantime you can look for another job.

ETA: I left my first nursing job at 6 months and I haven't had an issue finding employment as a nurse in the last 4 years.

Honey you have a major lawsuit on your hands. That is absolute crap and I'm appalled this "facility" is getting away with testing staff this way. Get out! Document everything!! Down to words. Call your lawyer. Rest, get better and keep us posted as much as you can discuss. Best wishes and happy healing

Hi everyone,

I got my first job as a new grad in the beginning of December (so im coming up on 6 months). bsn is in progress with about 12-18 more months. I work in a hospital on a telemetry/med surg floor.

We are horribly understaffed, we are also ICU overflow and have critical pts sometimes and the ratio goes 6:1 more often than not. I have felt very unsafe with my assignment many times.

Almost a month ago i was injured by a combative patient (due to lack of staff he was supposed to have 1-on-1 supervision which was discontinued before it should have been). I was sent to the ER, treated, followed up with employee health and they sent me to one of their office docs to get cleared. Three visits later i finally got cleared (they were concerned i wasnt healing properly) finally cleared me, back to work, light duty (chest injury). Understaffed, 6 pts - 2 critical, 3 confused. All alarmed, one gets up, i call for help and of course none shows up. The pt is halfway to bathroom and falls risk. I try to steady him and get him sitting down and of course he goes down. He leaned my way and i had the opportunity to catch him - felt like my whole chest wall ripped (just the already damaged muscle pulling more i guess) super sharp pain and i DROP the pt. Handle the situation, notify appropriate people, an hour later im in severe pain still and nursing supervisor gets pissed when i tell her i need to go to the ER again (couldnt catch my breath, tons of chest pressure and pulse ox of 77%). Had to give report to other nurses and walk myself down, nesrly passing out at this point, and was treated again in ER. also, as im in pain charting the fall, supervisor is coaching me to "leave out" parts where i dropped him/couldnt hold.him up. I was in pain and getting lightheaded so i did as told and now im very worried.

then employee health sets up another dr appt with a new guy (other doc was away). He walks in, says my CXR was clear so hes clearing me to go back in 1 day no restrictions. I told him my concerns and he dismissed them, interrupting me. He also marked me off as non-work-related injury (theyre treating the re-injury/exacerbation as a new injury) and that my symptoms and the new injury didnt happen at work. He also didnt assess me - at all. Just sat and talked AT me for a total of 2 mins. No eye contact. I left in tears. Called employee health, emailed HR and my manager. Told my manager everything and said im not coming in tomorrow or ill hurt myself again or another pt possibly. Unless i can be promised light duty (which due to staffing i cant). She said i will be penalized for calling out. Employee health said its coming out of my PTO since it was ruled non work related, and Hr wrote back that they cant do a thing because its a medical situation.

I am so upset and done with this place. Dozens of nurses have quit in the past year with management changes and now i see why

I need advice - do i stick it out til december (1 year) or leave after 6 months? Im not sure how much luck ill have without the BSN being complete...

Im not positive of my end goal but im thinking outpatient, maybe ambulatory surgery or pre/post op, endoscopy something like that. Also considering school nurse cert after BSN is done. I think i can get into somewhere outpt without the complete BSN but would that be stupid? Do i really need that full year - will having 6 months tele unit then afterwards ambulatory surgery or something like that look bad and screw me over later?

Thanks for reading. So stressed about it :/

1. You need to IMMEDIATELY retain counsel (an attorney) within the field of work related injury. They might likely try to terminate you and sweep the injury under the rug.

2. You need to IMMEDIATELY be evaluated by an independent provider, not one controlled by your employer.

3. You need to file an official OSHA complaint and file for worker's compensation.

I think you should see a lawyer with a view to legal action against this company. Also, write down every single thing as you remember it happening so you don't forget details. I would also immediately look for a new job. You should also fill in an incident form for this event.

This! I read the first two responses and was blown away that getting a lawyer and quitting wasnt immediately suggested.

OP I am furious for you, get the heck out of there and take care of yourself! You will do just fine.

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

I am not a sue-happy person at all, but if ever there was a case with reason to call a lawyer this is it. I'd love for them to explain to a lawyer exactly how this second injury is not work related when you left work to seek medical care. Not too hard to prove you were on the clock when the injury occurred. And what part of the work you were doing when the re-injury occurred was light duty exactly? I believe you did say in your post that you had returned to work light duty.

Don't even worry about keeping this job for the recommended 1 year, look for something else now. The second you get another job quit this one. I'll even say quit without notice as long as being ineligible for rehire won't screw you out of potential jobs because the employer is one of those big health care conglomerates that owns every facility in a 250 mile radius. Heck, after this experience if you don't mind relocating for work I'd still suggest getting another job and then walking out on this one without notice. Just don't forget to call a lawyer as soon as you are out the door. It seems to me you have pretty valid grounds for multiple lawsuits.

I am not trying to scare you but your life/health is at risk and this place do not seem to care about you and you want to stay for another day, let alone 6-12months???

Please find another company to work for. See a lawyer to determine if you have a case to sue their behind!

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

It's unthinkable. This kind of abuse just doesn't happen in other industries.

We have to speak up for safe staffing and advocate for safe working conditions.

+ Add a Comment