How did you get the big pay raise?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

So don't get me wrong, I certainly am not a nurse for the money. I love bedside nursing and I chose this career because I love it.

I have been a nurse on the same unit for 2.5 years and make just a little more than I did when I began as a nurse in my facility and was wondering when things "broke" for you, like when did you get your first big pay raise or your first job that payed more than your starting salary? When were you promoted within your hospital? Within bedside nursing, I feel like there isn't much career mobility and was wondering when others "caught their break"?

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Pay raises come with changing jobs. For ideal salary, you should consider changing employers every 2-3 years.

Specializes in ICU.

I recently got a significant increase (almost $6/hr) for years of critical care experience.

Specializes in Critical care.

I changed health systems. They were far enough apart (but the same drive time from my house) that there was a big difference in base pay.

So don't get me wrong, I certainly am not a nurse for the money. I love bedside nursing and I chose this career because I love it.

I have been a nurse on the same unit for 2.5 years and make just a little more than I did when I began as a nurse in my facility and was wondering when things "broke" for you, like when did you get your first big pay raise or your first job that payed more than your starting salary? When were you promoted within your hospital? Within bedside nursing, I feel like there isn't much career mobility and was wondering when others "caught their break"?

As a new grad, I got my first significant raise when I made it to "Nurse II" after two years. At my second job, I was able to negotiate a yearly raise five times bigger than what my coworkers got. I think it was a combination of catching my manager at the right time and being being in a very confident mood myself. I wasn't even planning on asking for anything. It was a whim.

Job hopping does seem the way to go in most cases. It seems like the nurses who stay in one place the longest are often the lowest paid.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I moved around quite a bit during my career, and with only one exception, each job paid me more than the previous one. I took a pay cut to work for the state back in 2014, but that was at the very end of my career and it didn't matter anymore because all my kids were grown and gone, and it was just my husband and me that I had to worry about feeding and housing.

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

Almost here 2 years, still haven't gotten one. Honestly not expecting one.

I know that's sad, but I consider a few things. One, I love working here.

Two, this hospital is in a precarious situation, financially. Three, see

number one; I just don't feel like going anywhere else to try to make

more money.

Let me add that I've done my share of job hopping, and I'm just tired.

Specializes in Med/Surg, Academics.

Unfortunately, the only way to get substantial pay increases in any industry is job-hopping.

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

Ideally, job hop to a hospital that offers incentives for self development while you are at it :)

For instance, my current employer offers pay incentives for BSN (1.8% raise over ADN/diploma), certification in an applicable specialty (3%), and clinical ladder (3% and 4%) for steps 2 and 3 respectively. At the top of the pay scale, the nurses who pursue certification and are at tier 3 of the ladder are making about $10 k more per year.

Each pay raise in the past had been negotiated by my union and we all get the same raise percentage wise.

This may sound bad of me but if you find a facility desperate enough and if you have good experience you can usually negotiate a very good salary. I moved to a new area (husbands job transfer) and threw my resume at a few hospitals. One unit I'd applied for had recently had three nurses unexpectedly quit. They needed a body. I haggled with them on pay and came out with my desired salary. Don't be afraid to ask up front. The worse they can tell you is no.

Specializes in Pedi.

I changed jobs.

The year that I resigned my hospital job, I made approximately $20K more than I did the year before. Of course, that amount did involve a very large PTO payout from my hospital job and I had worked 16 hrs/week per diem for the last 2 months of my hospital job at another job, which helped and I worked 2 jobs for the remainder of that year.

My biggest salary (for one job) increase was $15K/year and that came from leaving one job for another. My most recent change, I increased my salary by about $4000/year. That's more than my salary increased in 3 years at the job that I left.

+ Add a Comment