Later start time

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in ED, School Nurse.

We just got word that our start time (we are a JH/HS complex) is going to be pushed back to 7:50 am for the next school year.

Right now our school day starts at 7:20 am and ends at 1:45 pm.

Next year we will be starting at 7:50 am and ending at 2:15 pm.

I think I am going to be A-OK with this as I am not nor have I ever been a morning person.

Has anybody ever worked in school that adopted a later start time? How was it?

Our school day starts at 7:50 and doesn't release until 3:07. (I Know weird time!) Our High school starts at the same time but releases at 3:16.

Specializes in Home Health,Dialysis, MDS, School Nurse.

Our start time is 8:20am and has been since I can remember. 7:20 is insanely early if you ask me.

Specializes in ED, School Nurse.
Our start time is 8:20am and has been since I can remember. 7:20 is insanely early if you ask me.

I agree! I have to be here by 7:03. I only live 5 minutes from the school and I think it's early.

We are a large rural district with lots of farm land. Some students are getting on the bus at 5:45-6 am to get here by 7:03 (when the buses let off students).

Specializes in kids.

We are looking at it, makes no difference to me.

Specializes in NCSN.

We are actually talking about moving the other way. Our school is one "late start" schools in the district, going from 9-4. I go back and forth on if I love it or hate it.

I am a morning person, so that plus the tiny one would make an early day wonderful. BUT because of our later start we do all of our meetings and PD prior to school, so nearly every day I'm walking out right after the kids at 4:05.

My school starts at 7:50 and releases at 2:15. My son's school starts at 8:00 and releases at 3:10. My son's school figured it out this year though, in my opinion. We had a few snow days right at the first of the year but because of the way their minutes are this year, they were over by 4 days! So neither the students nor the teachers have to make the snow days up this year. My school, on the other hand, does. I actually prefer a later start time though because its just hard to get kiddos up so early!

Specializes in School nursing.

My school starts at 8 AM and ends at 3 PM. I work 7:30-4:30.

Our Jr. High student hours are 9:25-3:42, staff hours are 8-4. I love it, I'm not a morning person at all. I live 7 minutes from the school and still have trouble being here on time!

Our high school kids are there 7:20-2:20. We are there earlier and later. I think there was some discussion about switching high school and elementary times but parents complained.

Specializes in School Nurse.

We've always been traditionally a county where HS starts earliest and the Elementaries are the latest even though it seems to me to make much more sense the other way around (I've got friends in such districts). Even within that the times are staggered all over the place and change from year to year to optimize the bus schedules.

+ Add a Comment