When you have a rule that you don't 'friend' coworkers on FB

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

And you get a FB request from a coworker, do you just ignore it, or do you tell them why you're not accepting their request?

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I have coworkers who are Facebook friends. But if it's your rule to not do that, not necessarily a negative thing, ignoring a friend request sends a message in and of itself. If I was sending you a friend request, I'd rather you tell me you don't mix coworkers with Facebook rather than simply ignoring me and let my imagination fill in the gaps.

I'd tell them if you want to be on friendly terms with them.

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

I would tell them and give a short explanation as to why not.

And you get a FB request from a coworker, do you just ignore it, or do you tell them why you're not accepting their request?

It would never come up. I'd have a page that was not "real" if I wanted it to be ultra-private. Then there would be no awkward, "I'm really important and you don't meet my strict criteria." discussion.

Specializes in Oncology.

You can change your Facebook settings so you can't be seen to send friend requests to.

Personally, I keep my Facebook very light and will accept any request I know in real life.

Yes I will accept friend requests from any co-workers. Facebook to me is yet another networking tool. Im glad to post happy things like a cake I decorated or cute pet pictures and I dont do the emotive and personal problem oversharing thing so its no negative to me. Saved my bacon when I needed references after moving all the way across the nation and job searching because it had enabled me to stay in touch with previous co-workers. Personal choice though

Specializes in 15 years in ICU, 22 years in PACU.
Yes I will accept friend requests from any co-workers. Facebook to me is yet another networking tool. Im glad to post happy things like a cake I decorated or cute pet pictures and I dont do the emotive and personal problem oversharing thing so its no negative to me. Saved my bacon when I needed references after moving all the way across the nation and job searching because it had enabled me to stay in touch with previous co-workers. Personal choice though

I like this advice for Facebook users. Stop with the oversharing.

Keep it Fakebook, we don't believe you anyway.

Under no circumstances do I ever "friend" anyone on FB while I work with them. It's a rule I have, not that I overshare or anything but I just like to keep things separate. If I leave a job I have kept a select few friends on but it's a rarity.

Best way is to not have a Facebook account at all...

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

I have friended former co-workers -- but only once they reached the "former" status. I'd just tell the co-worker that I don't friend current coworkers -- which is true. I also ignore Facebook completely about 90% of the time, so I'm rather boring.

+ Add a Comment