Riddle me this Batman?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

How is it that 100 Glipizide 10mg tablets runs around $40.00 but if I buy it off the veterinary website it only costs $14.00. Same drug, Same Manufacturer, Same dose and I don't need a prescription to buy it.

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

I buy a lot of similar from American Vet. Supply......

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Maybe it costs more to put it in the pretty, "child proof," bottle and list all the precautions and reported side effects on the box. You know, "use as directed," "this bottle is not a toy," "do not place in rectum," "this package will support combustion if subject to open flames," - you know - important stuff like that.

OldDude said:
You know, "use as directed," "this bottle is not a toy," "do not place in rectum".

I thought it's suppose to be kept out of the light ;)

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

My dog doesn't earn as much as me, so....

That goes both ways -- I used to have a vet that would write rxs for my dog, for me to take to the regular, human pharmacy to get filled (for some specific medications, not all the time) because, she would tell me, she could give me the veterinary version, but it cost twice as much and was exactly the same as the human form, and this was saving me a lot of money (which I appreciated!). The pharmacist would look at me funny and say, "Who's Molly (X), and who is this physician??" And I'd explain Molly was my dog and Dr. ABC was the vet. They always acted like it was some big deal, but they'd fill the rx.

Specializes in Palliative, Onc, Med-Surg, Home Hospice.
elkpark said:
That goes both ways -- I used to have a vet that would write rxs for my dog, for me to take to the regular, human pharmacy to get filled (for some specific medications, not all the time) because, she would tell me, she could give me the veterinary version, but it cost twice as much and was exactly the same as the human form, and this was saving me a lot of money (which I appreciated!). The pharmacist would look at me funny and say, "Who's Molly (X), and who is this physician??" And I'd explain Molly was my dog and Dr. ABC was the vet. They always acted like it was some big deal, but they'd fill the rx.

My daughters cat is on prozac (She has kitty ADHD and anxiety, just like her girl) and it cost us less to buy the human version (generic) than it would for our vet to order it and provide it. Things are weird like that.

Our pharmacists laughed when she saw the script. She found it amusing.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Cats don't have as good malpractice lawyers as us humans?

Specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.

You also might want to know how it comes to be that generic eszopiclone costs $370 for month low dose supply in US Walmart but only $10 from online Walmart pharmacy in Canada.

Specializes in Trauma ICU.
elkpark said:

Haha...I once took a prescription for one of my chickens to a regular pharmacy. I am pretty sure that pharmacist will tell that story for many years to come.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
Rocknurse said:
My dog doesn't earn as much as me, so....

Also my dog is not covered on the family medical plan!

Hppy

My dog earns more than me

+ Add a Comment