Bending and Breaking the Rules in Nursing

I readily admit I have either bent or broken some rules that nurses are supposed to stringently uphold. However, I hope I'm not alone when I say that some of these rules seem so cold, bureaucratic and alien. If breaking a rule will make a patient's day a little brighter, if only for one moment, I will toss bureaucracy aside and do something that is normally forbidden. Specialties Geriatric Article

I believe rules can be bent at times. Heck, I feel that some rules can even be outright broken as long as doing so has brightened someone's day.

Billie is a pseudonym for the septuagenarian nursing home resident whom I first met seven years ago when I was a brand new nurse in long term care. She was a strikingly pretty model during her youth, and even as an elderly woman with a terminal prognosis, she still maintained a whimsical cuteness and a stylish flair through tasteful choices in makeup, haircuts, clothing and jewelry.

Billie received hospice services because her physician did not expect for her to live another six months due to advanced congestive heart failure. Although she barely stood five feet tall and weighed no more than 100 pounds, her lower extremities were chronically wet, weepy, heavy, discolored, swollen, and resembled crude elephant legs. Diuretic medications did not help to pull the extra fluid off. Neither did pressure wraps, sodium restrictions, or keeping the legs elevated. Keeping her comfortable was an uphill battle.

She suffered from mild cognitive impairment, but was very well-versed regarding her dietary restrictions. One day she asked me, with the impression of defeatism stamped on her face and a sense of sorrow prominent in her tone, "Will I ever be able to eat a hamburger again?"

My dark brown eyes made contact with her pale blue eyes. I realized some of the things that I, a young and reasonably healthy adult, take for granted are small pleasures that many elderly nursing home residents will never enjoy again. Most, if not all, of these people will never take another vacation to a faraway city, state or country. Some will forever lose the ability to walk. Others will be robbed of their ability to talk after having a stroke. Still, others will never be able to enjoy a tasty meal due to dysphagia, feeding tubes, pureed textures, restrictive diets, or the notoriously bland foodstuffs commonly served to institutionalized elders.

Some Rules Were Made To Be Broken I did something I should not have done. I broke a rule. During my lunch break I visited a local fast food joint and ordered a hamburger with extra tomatoes. Since Billie spent the vast majority of her time in her room due to depression, smuggling the burger to her was an easier feat than I had expected. Her eyes lit up with joy and anticipation.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she exclaimed. She kept her door closed and picked at the burger for several hours, eating the fixings individually before finally polishing the sandwich off. This was the first hamburger she had eaten in several years.

Billie died a couple of months later. She passed quietly, serenely, on her bed in the nursing home surrounded by the hospice nurse, a nursing student, and myself. She had two attentive adult children who visited frequently, but they did not want to be present during her final hour.

I broke a rule by supplying an elderly resident under my care with an unhealthy food item. But if it alleviated some of the bleakness of her existence during her final days on earth, I feel no shame for doing what I did. To every rule there's an exception.

you may as well make another being as happy as possible for the time they have left. Well done! =)

What a sweet story.

That is rather strange though, that a hospice patient would have such a dietary restriction. But it's such a good example of breaching some (at times silly) rules that sometimes can be broken. Thanks for sharing.

Specializes in Gerontology, Med surg, Home Health.

We are in the middle of getting rid of diet restrictions at my facility. Read the studies....restrictive diets do little to nothing for an elder except upsetting them and diminishing their appetites. Really does a 90 year old need a low cholesterol diet? Of course not. The medical director is all for it so pretty soon the residents will be able to eat what they want.

We are in the middle of getting rid of diet restrictions at my facility. Read the studies....restrictive diets do little to nothing for an elder except upsetting them and diminishing their appetites. Really does a 90 year old need a low cholesterol diet? Of course not. The medical director is all for it so pretty soon the residents will be able to eat what they want.

That is great! I wish all nursing homes would go for this model of care for 99 percent of elderly LTC patients. There really isn't any rationale for keeping them on these restrictive diets. At least where I work the food is bad enough, the more restrictions that get added to the diet the worse it gets.

Specializes in Private Practice- wellness center.

I was blessed to be able to do a hospice rotation during school. It was WONDERFUL! Better yet, no restrictions. If they wanted a burger, they got a burger. If they wanted to smoke, we took them out to smoke. If they wanted a beer, we kept it in the fridge for them :D I want to go in a place like THAT if I cannot be at home.

Working on an Oncology floor, on nightshift, we had a lady who was actively dying. She raised german shepards and her only regret was that she would not be able to see her dogs again. My charge nurse also raised german shepards. She went home on her dinner break and got 4 of her pups and then called the floor to help carry these "puppies" up 5 flight of stairs. We were a sight!! The patient was delighted when the puppies came in her room. She cried and played with them for about 2 hrs when she got tired. At that point my charge nurse took the puppies home. The patient died a few hrs later but not before telling all of us how happy she was and that she could now die in peace. Yes, we broke the rules and I have no doubt we all would have lost our jobs but the look on that patient's face was one I will never forget and would do it all over in a heartbeat.

Specializes in Emergency Room.

thank you bro for sharing such a beautiful experience... you have a loving heart... and i guess that must be the ground rule for every nurse - to have a warm loving heart...

Specializes in ER, pediatric SANE, Trauma.

Love all the stories here! I, too, have broken or bended the rules at times. I refuse to become a nurse who is more concerned about the rules than the well-being of my patients. Denying a dying patient the food they crave is just inhuman if there is not a real reason to do so. A cancer patient who finds the food unpalatable isn't going to be hurt by being given a food they want. Several nurses and I went to some great lengths to smuggle a cancer patient's poodle in one night; if I had been fired, the tears of joy she cried would have made it worth it. She died the next day. I believe that we are not just providing physical care, but holistic care - the whole person: mind, body, spirit, emotions - and rules that make that impossible are meant to be bent or broken from time to time! As a side note - one of the docs I work with routinely writes for regular diets for elderly or terminally ill patients. It makes me sad when I give report and hear something like, ""Wait, why isn't he on a restricted diet? He's a heart patient!" (I heard this one regarding a 98 year old patient with terminal cancer who had come into our ER for chest pains and was going to the cardiac unit for observation.) We are nurses, but we are human beings first!

Specializes in Aged care, disability, community.

I regularly bring in food for residents from home and management know I do it. So long as I do the appropriate paperwork for food from home and if they're not 'meant' to eat it I give it to them myself on my own time, they're pretty much ok with it. One of the resident's loves it as she's got celiacs disease and I make all sorts of goodies for her that the facility won't supply, I have no issues doing this as it's like a slice of cake here, or a couple of biscuits there that I've already made for my son.

Good for you! I think we, as nurses, have gotten so caught up in the "rules and regulations" due to it being shoved down our throats, that we have forgotten that our patients are human beings living their lives. When I see one of my patients with a DNR on their chart, or simply an age past 90, I figure, "what the heck" give them what they want! Some of them are soldiers who have risked their lives to protect us. And some have spent all their lives working hard to make a living. Why should their last days be so restricted. Thank you so much for reminding me of that. AMEN!

This post brought tears to my eyes. I too have broken rules! Its a beautiful thing to see that nurses do care. Ive only been a nurse for a year and Ive learned that many of us are in it for the wrong reasons. Here I am believing that there is no compassion any more. Not even with doctors or cnas...and definitely not with administration. Kudos to you guys for truly making a difference

Specializes in LTC, Hospice, Case Management.

This region was moving that way as well and then all this fuss about the 30 day rehospitalizations came along and suddenly everyone has jumped back on the bandwagon with all these restrictive diets, the worst being these 2gm Na diets. The most frustrating part is the residents generally refuse to follow the restriction to begin with (and who could blame them). I could go on and on with my frustrations with the whole rehospitalization problems/procedures but that's for another thread.