Jump to content

My Ultimate Warning based on personal Experience with COVID+ patients and co-workers.

Posted

You are reading page 3 of My Ultimate Warning based on personal Experience with COVID+ patients and co-workers.. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

Specializes in RN. Has 5 years experience.

Thank you for your post expressing your thoughts based on your experience. You said it was based on your experience. I kept that in mind while reading it and my take away was your saying to those who are overwhelmed and scared that it’s okay if you quit. Some people need that support of just someone understanding. It would be a hard thing to do but for someone like yourself staying on the frontline telling someone who just can’t that you understand means a lot. Actually shows great compassion for other nurses which is in short supply in this field.

dinah77, ADN

Specializes in Tele, OB, public health. Has 8 years experience.

On 4/9/2020 at 1:01 AM, Naturally Brilliant said:

Oh, come on. It's more virulent than the flu, but it's not Ebola, either. I'm not saying folks shouldn't take the Coronavirus serious, but it's not a coin-flip on survivability if you do get it.

You're right, this is not ebola. Covid19 has a higher Rnaught than ebola, meaning it's more contagious

The War in Iraq was very dangerous. Nearly 4,500 American soldiers lost their lives there. But you know how many U.S. soldiers served in Iraq altogether? More than 2 million. Do the math.

If we were military nurses, we'd have better benefits and lifetime healthcare-

Plus, you could quit your job and live Coronavirus-free until this crisis is over, then get hit by a car and die the very next day. Life is about risk mitigation, not risk avoidance. You can choose to manage risk, including caring for patients with Coronavirus, and that's what many doctors and nurses today are doing.

Yes, great answer. We should abandon all of our years of training, education and hard work because our government and for-profit healthcare system are completely inept.
Yeah that seems reasonable.....

socal212, CNA

Has 4 years experience.

23 hours ago, nxikkxi said:

I agree with what you said. And even if you recover from the coronavirus, you will never be 100% again, as research has shown. There are lingering effects...

I'm sorry but how can research say that you will never be the same again??? It hasn't even been longer than like six month of researching this virus and its effects. Yes, there are lingering effects but you cannot say that people will never be 100% again.

CommunityRNBSN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Community health. Has 3 years experience.

15 hours ago, nottheproblem said:

Thank you for your post expressing your thoughts based on your experience. You said it was based on your experience. I kept that in mind while reading it and my take away was your saying to those who are overwhelmed and scared that it’s okay if you quit. Some people need that support of just someone understanding. It would be a hard thing to do but for someone like yourself staying on the frontline telling someone who just can’t that you understand means a lot. Actually shows great compassion for other nurses which is in short supply in this field.

I agree that we need to have compassion for one another. My problem with this post is that the OP doesn’t write it as “here is my experience, it’s been tough, it’s been awful, I need support.” It is given as a “warning.” And it has a lot of “you” language like “you will get sick, you probably won’t survive.” Most of the warnings in the OP’s statement are not consistent with current info (such as “very few improve”) so I took issue with its apocalyptic tone.

She said she has been on the front lines for 4 weeks and from her view it probably seemed apocalyptic to her. She states in the title “My ultimate warning based on personal experience”

I read that then viewed the rest of the post knowing this is from her experience. Her experience must have been quite traumatic for her and she’s coming across as someone who really feels she needs to get this out. We all have our opinions and mine is that I have no issue with the post. I thank her for it and pray she stays well.

12 hours ago, socal212 said:

I'm sorry but how can research say that you will never be the same again??? It hasn't even been longer than like six month of researching this virus and its effects. Yes, there are lingering effects but you cannot say that people will never be 100% again.

My bad , what I meant to say was observation thus far based on the people who have contracted the virus. Lingering effects means people have not fully recovered , so far .

Nurse SMS, MSN, RN

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development. Has 10 years experience.

I see the OP's post as much as a statement of the trauma he/she is undergoing as anything. Can we please be kind? Is that really too much to ask?

Yes, it is frightening to read an opinion piece like this one. If you are frightened, find support. The OP is suffering a different kind of effect from this virus and deserves us to say "I see you. I believe this must be intensely hard. How are you taking care of yourself? Where are you going for support? How are you debriefing from the things you have seen?"

NOT "You're wrong! You suck! You're just trying to scare people!".

This is HER reality. Let her have it and offer her support please.

Nurse SMS,

Thank you for your kind and wise words. We have to support each other no matter how we express themselves and deal with this situation. I left my job due to lack of PPE, but I am regrouping and buying my own PPE and hoping to return to bedside at some point to help. My impression that physicians are in a better position than nurses. Better PPE, much more kind to each other, free consults for emotional/mental health.

Someone has to step up or we will all die. Who will care for you if you end up in the hospital? You will expect the nurse and doctor to do so. Food for thought....

FullGlass, BSN, MSN, NP

Specializes in Adult and Geriatric Primary Care. Has 3 years experience.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:05 PM, nxikkxi said:

I agree with what you said. And even if you recover from the coronavirus, you will never be 100% again, as research has shown. There are lingering effects...

That is simply untrue. There is no evidence whatsoever that people who become ill from coronavirus will never be 100% again, ever. Some people who recover show lingering effects, yes. We don't know yet if that means those effects will never go away for the rest of their lives, since we're only 3 months into this!

39 minutes ago, FullGlass said:

That is simply untrue. There is no evidence whatsoever that people who become ill from coronavirus will never be 100% again, ever. Some people who recover show lingering effects, yes. We don't know yet if that means those effects will never go away for the rest of their lives, since we're only 3 months into this!

My bad , what I meant to say was observation thus far based on the people who have contracted the virus. Lingering effects means people have not fully recovered , so far .

41 minutes ago, FullGlass said:

That is simply untrue. There is no evidence whatsoever that people who become ill from coronavirus will never be 100% again, ever. Some people who recover show lingering effects, yes. We don't know yet if that means those effects will never go away for the rest of their lives, since we're only 3 months into this!

I forgot to put my technicality hat on