How are moderators selected for this site?
Well, we all file into the Sistine Chapel where we sit on thrones with curtains that drop down to conceal our faces. No, wait, that's for electing a pope.
Seriously, Brian, the head honcho/owner of this site, along with the current mods nominate new mod candidates based on previous interactions, ability to keep a level head (even in a heated debate), consistent demonstration of respect for the board and fellow members, nursing background, nursing specialty areas, communications skills, computer fluency, and anything else we can think of. Knowledge level is important. Wisdom--the ability to apply that knowledge along with common sense--is even more so.
Mod candidates are then PM'd and invited to fill out an application. Some decline. They're too busy or have other reasons for saying no. Those who do apply are then evaluated and many become new mods.
Here is a tongue-in-cheek list of helpful qualifications:
1. It helps if you've been dropped on your head a few times.
2. Must have hide thicker than a rhinocerous.
3. Must be able to hear the phrase, "eat their young," without disintegrating into a weeping puddle.
4. Must be able to smell a troll at 50 paces.
5. Should be able to laugh hysterically on command.
I'm sure my fellow mods can think of a few more.