Jump to content

Everyone is white?

Specializes in ER.

You are reading page 3 of Everyone is white?. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

Just a reminder, OP. Discrimination works both directions.

You are pre-judging the whites - assuming they are racists and strive to keep things as they are because of race.

Appearances can be deceiving. Things are not always what they appear to be.

I would not send any messages to the bosses, as it will only make them look askance at you, as many people here have told you.

Work instead on your skills, knowledge, experience. Be perfect in attendance and punctuality. Help your coworkers without being obsequious. Be a person who other people like. Look for opportunities to very subtly and gently educate your coworkers. And I do mean subtlety and gently. Quietly lead, quietly respect yourself and you will gain their trust and respect.

Find others of your same race, background to get hired there. I know it's awkward being the only. We all like to have companions who we believe are like us, who understand us. In the meantime, make some new friends. Bring in some food for your shift - just something like cookies, fruit, or bagels, just to share with them and let them know you like them and appreciate them. Many of them have troubles at home or whatever. They, just like you, need a word or gesture of encouragement. Be the change you want to see. Model it, start it. Very kindly. To have a friend, be a friend.

Perhaps you could invite someone who is reasonably friendly at work to meet you for a cup of coffee sometime. Don't take it badly if they say they are busy. They likely are - kids, appointments, you know. Or they might be super shy. Perhaps they want to reach out, but are afraid. You could well be not the only person feeling alone and awkward.

And who knows - an opening might come for you to advance, too. Somebody has to be the first. Jackie Robinson, Rosa Parks, Thurgood Marshall, many others.

to the person who called whites "pasty". That is not polite. Racism does work both ways.

kakamegamama

Specializes in MCH,NICU,NNsy,Educ,Village Nursing.

5 hours ago, Kooky Korky said:

Just a reminder, OP. Discrimination works both directions.

You are pre-judging the whites - assuming they are racists and strive to keep things as they are because of race.

Appearances can be deceiving. Things are not always what they appear to be.

I would not send any messages to the bosses, as it will only make them look askance at you, as many people here have told you.

Work instead on your skills, knowledge, experience. Be perfect in attendance and punctuality. Help your coworkers without being obsequious. Be a person who other people like. Look for opportunities to very subtly and gently educate your coworkers. And I do mean subtlety and gently. Quietly lead, quietly respect yourself and you will gain their trust and respect.

Find others of your same race, background to get hired there. I know it's awkward being the only. We all like to have companions who we believe are like us, who understand us. In the meantime, make some new friends. Bring in some food for your shift - just something like cookies, fruit, or bagels, just to share with them and let them know you like them and appreciate them. Many of them have troubles at home or whatever. They, just like you, need a word or gesture of encouragement. Be the change you want to see. Model it, start it. Very kindly. To have a friend, be a friend.

Perhaps you could invite someone who is reasonably friendly at work to meet you for a cup of coffee sometime. Don't take it badly if they say they are busy. They likely are - kids, appointments, you know. Or they might be super shy. Perhaps they want to reach out, but are afraid. You could well be not the only person feeling alone and awkward.

And who knows - an opening might come for you to advance, too. Somebody has to be the first. Jackie Robinson, Rosa Parks, Thurgood Marshall, many others.

to the person who called whites "pasty". That is not polite. Racism does work both ways.

Yes to all of this. And, the term "pasty" is offensive to some, and is indeed, impolite.

Hoosier_RN, MSN

Specializes in dialysis.

7 hours ago, Kooky Korky said:

Just a reminder, OP. Discrimination works both directions.

You are pre-judging the whites - assuming they are racists and strive to keep things as they are because of race.

Appearances can be deceiving. Things are not always what they appear to be.

I would not send any messages to the bosses, as it will only make them look askance at you, as many people here have told you.

Work instead on your skills, knowledge, experience. Be perfect in attendance and punctuality. Help your coworkers without being obsequious. Be a person who other people like. Look for opportunities to very subtly and gently educate your coworkers. And I do mean subtlety and gently. Quietly lead, quietly respect yourself and you will gain their trust and respect.

Find others of your same race, background to get hired there. I know it's awkward being the only. We all like to have companions who we believe are like us, who understand us. In the meantime, make some new friends. Bring in some food for your shift - just something like cookies, fruit, or bagels, just to share with them and let them know you like them and appreciate them. Many of them have troubles at home or whatever. They, just like you, need a word or gesture of encouragement. Be the change you want to see. Model it, start it. Very kindly. To have a friend, be a friend.

Perhaps you could invite someone who is reasonably friendly at work to meet you for a cup of coffee sometime. Don't take it badly if they say they are busy. They likely are - kids, appointments, you know. Or they might be super shy. Perhaps they want to reach out, but are afraid. You could well be not the only person feeling alone and awkward.

And who knows - an opening might come for you to advance, too. Somebody has to be the first. Jackie Robinson, Rosa Parks, Thurgood Marshall, many others.

to the person who called whites "pasty". That is not polite. Racism does work both ways.

I wish that I could ❤️ this 1000x!

NurseLAE, BSN, RN

Specializes in Medical Surgical, Postpartum.

The hospital i currently work at are now hiring more AA in specialty areas. My unit had a total of two AA. Since merging with another hospital they have five AA. It’s no big deal to be the only non white person . But, it is a big deal to work with people who don’t display teamwork or talk about you if you make a mistake instead of helping .

On 8/21/2019 at 12:41 PM, Asystole RN said:

"White" is a pretty loose term. I am a minority who currently lives in a Caucasian dominated area of the country but there are strong European roots. There are Germans, Norwegians, and some Irish. They take offense if they are pooled together because there are distinct cultural and heritage differences.

I used to work in an area where there were a lot of Africans. The Africans HATED the term African American because they generally only thought those who are from or who still hold cultural ties to Africa should be called "African American." The Dominicans I worked hated being called African American because they were Dominican.

Point is, painting a broad brush of "white" and assuming cultural or ethnic homogeneity is close to the same racism you fear.

Look beyond the color of someone's skin and see them for the unique ethnocentric person they are.

This is a good point. I work with people from Lithuania, the Ukraine, South Africa, Mexico, Philippines, and America. A mostly-broad-brush of "White" could be painted, over our facility. The Mexican lady is white-skinned, as is the South African and Native American. They are a minority, in their own right. You wouldn't know their ethnicity unless they told you due to their skin color.

TNT_RN09, BSN, RN

Specializes in 8 years Telemetry/Med Surg, 5 years Stepdown/PCU.

I completely understand where you are coming from. In upper management at my place of employment, there is no diversity at all!

Glycerine82, ASN, LPN

Specializes in SNF/Rehab/Geri.

Just wanted to say that where I live there are lots of areas where that would be quite normal, mostly because the population happens to be like 95% white.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:25 AM, Asystole RN said:

As odd as it sounds, there is an actual rationale for this. Now the United States is not the least racist nor do the circumstances that impact the United States are unique.

The United States, and a number of other countries, is not ethnically or racially homogeneous so there is not really an ethnic or racial identity. Now there are many countries, most in fact, do have a somewhat homogeneous population so the national identity tends to mix and merge with that ethnic or racial identity.

An example of an ethnically and racially homogeneous country is Japan. Now they of course have non-racial an non-ethnic Japanese but by and large the national identify is closely tied to their racial and ethnic identity.

This in and of itself is not bad, it is just a part of being ethnocentric like we all are naturally. That being said, "racism" as we coin it in the western societies tends to be more prominent in some ways not because of a particular issue with a race per say but because their national identity is tied to their race and there tends to be a natural pull-through with normal nationalism or patriotism.

In the west we see genocides as an inherent evil process, which it is, but due to the often racial and ethnic homogeneous identities being tied to national identities the social dynamics can be complex. The homogeneous group will tend to push out and attack "other" not purely from a racial or ethnic position but rather from a national patriotic position. They are not killing a racial or ethnic group, they are engaging in legitimate (self-perceived) warfare with a competitive state.

Racism tends to be the norm in non-western (and sometimes western) homogeneous populations.

I tried to not reply to this thread because there's a lot of dismissiveness and whataboutism going on. Some people truly don't understand what it's like to face micro and macro aggression on a daily basis, and some don't want to understand. Some simply can't relate or process how it occurs or don't care because they're guilty of it themselves. Fine, whatever.

But did you just really make a whole post validating racism? There is nothing to validate racism, nothing! There is no rationale. And to say it's "from a national patriotic position" is pure ignorance. As a Black Native I'm offended. My people were murdered in record numbers on their own land and it's still being stolen, not to mention the broken treaties, and here you are excusing racism with the lie of patriotism. Really? Please just stop.

If you feel comfortable in your work place then just go with it ( you got a job there right?). Just because there happens to be fewer minorities doesn't mean they boycott them. If it bothers you so badly that you think you need to say something, recognize that one person will probably not change things into the way you wished they were. Just find somewhere to work that you don't feel so out of place if that is the question. I have had jobs where I felt like the odd man out, but that was my perception, in reality there was nothing that anyone was doing to me. I can't change the world, I recognize I am different and that is OK.

herring_RN, ASN, BSN

Specializes in Critical care, tele, Medical-Surgical.

Living and working in Southern California at the hospital where I worked for decades, the ones where I worked registry, and the one where I was "rare per diem" (Only one weekend shift a month was required) staff has been ethnically and racially diverse. Now nursing is diverse regarding gender too as about half the new grads are men.

At the per diem job a nurse answered a colleague's patient's call light and told the assigned nurse, "Your patient asked for "My nurse". I asked him who his nurse is and he said, "The White one." We six RNs and one secretary only then realized only one staff member on the unit, including two physicians, was White. Some days all but one would be white and the "not White" one was the only nurse born in the USA.

Once I was the only one not in her or his twenties. Most of our young single nurses belonged to the Sierra Club and hiked together when they had the day off. They told me, "You are not grumpy like some of the older nurses. I think they are jealous of our youth and fitness." I never noticed this, but they did. These young attractive, slender nurses were of different races and from different countries, but had their nursing education at one of three local schools of nursing.

Unfortunately that well staffed hospital with supportive management was sold to a for profit chain. Those who had only worked there had a reality shock. Most left for other jobs. (I quit before the new corporation took over)

One hospital where I worked registry had a majority of RN staff from the Philippines. It is due to recruitment from there in the early 1980s. They also recommend to their school mates and younger alumni their hospital. In spite of the CEO and BOD not being supportive of safe staffing and sufficient supplies and working equipment they insist our state hospital regulations and Nursing Practice Act are followed so they provide the safe, effective, competent care with compassion all patients deserve.

I don't really have advice. Believe me I've experienced and observed racism, but not from fellow nurses. Only once from a surgeon, but not against me. His answer when called to report a patient had less than 30cc urine output while on IVs he said, "Fat Blacks don't pee like normal people." Because he didn't seem to have truly listened I called our Medical Director, told him exactly what was said, and got an order for Lasix. He told me to document in the chart a direct quote. He came in early, asked me to fill out an incident report and he signed it. The medical director thanked my because he had been told about this surgeon before, but no one would document it. That surgeon apologized to our staff at a meeting and told us he apologized to OR and PACU staff too.

hypnotizer90, BSN, RN

Specializes in Medical - Surgical/ General Surgery.

I think it depends as well on the area/ city you are working if the majority of population are caucasian than non - caucasian.

Asystole RN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Vascular Access, Infusion Therapy.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:33 AM, NurseBlaq said:

I tried to not reply to this thread because there's a lot of dismissiveness and whataboutism going on. Some people truly don't understand what it's like to face micro and macro aggression on a daily basis, and some don't want to understand. Some simply can't relate or process how it occurs or don't care because they're guilty of it themselves. Fine, whatever.

But did you just really make a whole post validating racism? There is nothing to validate racism, nothing! There is no rationale. And to say it's "from a national patriotic position" is pure ignorance. As a Black Native I'm offended. My people were murdered in record numbers on their own land and it's still being stolen, not to mention the broken treaties, and here you are excusing racism with the lie of patriotism. Really? Please just stop.

Validating racism? No. An attempt to understand it's sometimes ethnocentric origins, absolutely. I firmly believe that in order for us to fight against something we must first understand it's origins and relation throughout the world. Ethnocentrism is a thing.

I would also point out that my post was in response to perceived racism in the United States versus the rest of the world.

What if we just said "racism is bad" and never taught the history of the injustices related to indigenous Americans? What if we glossed over the role of Athabaskan tribes and culture and it's conflict with the tribes of the great plains in the Southwestern United States? What if we never discussed the role of agrarian society in the Pre-Revolutionary American Colonies in regards to the slave trade in relation to modern black American racism? Does that sound like justice to you? Ignore history and just call something bad?

As a minority myself, I have found the best way to combat racism is first to understand it. With understanding we can develop the tools the combat it.

“Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

Edited by Asystole RN

5 hours ago, Asystole RN said:

Validating racism? No. An attempt to understand it's sometimes ethnocentric origins, absolutely. I firmly believe that in order for us to fight against something we must first understand it's origins and relation throughout the world. Ethnocentrism is a thing.

I would also point out that my post was in response to perceived racism in the United States versus the rest of the world.

What if we just said "racism is bad" and never taught the history of the injustices related to indigenous Americans? What if we glossed over the role of Athabaskan tribes and culture and it's conflict with the tribes of the great plains in the Southwestern United States? What if we never discussed the role of agrarian society in the Pre-Revolutionary American Colonies in regards to the slave trade in relation to modern black American racism? Does that sound like justice to you? Ignore history and just call something bad?

As a minority myself, I have found the best way to combat racism is first to understand it. With understanding we can develop the tools the combat it.

“Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

I get it now.

That's not how I perceived it when I read it but thanks for clarifying.

We won't ever fully understand racism and I don't think it will ever end. What I do know is many of the things today are predicated on happenings of the past. When some of us try to acknowledge the past we're told to "let it go" and that "you weren't a slave" with many of them saying that not realizing we (non-white people) are oftentimes behind in economics, education, quality of living overall because of the foundations formed due to past misdeeds such as slavery, Rosewood, Black Wall Street, Trail of Tears, etc.

I just feel like a lot of people want to dictate how we progress and perceive things while simultaneously dismissing why we're in this predicament in the first place.

OK mini rant over.

Again, thanks for clearing up what you meant because it did kind of bother me. I now understand where you're coming from. Appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Asystole RN said:

Validating racism? No. An attempt to understand it's sometimes ethnocentric origins, absolutely. I firmly believe that in order for us to fight against something we must first understand it's origins and relation throughout the world. Ethnocentrism is a thing.

I would also point out that my post was in response to perceived racism in the United States versus the rest of the world.

What if we just said "racism is bad" and never taught the history of the injustices related to indigenous Americans? What if we glossed over the role of Athabaskan tribes and culture and it's conflict with the tribes of the great plains in the Southwestern United States? What if we never discussed the role of agrarian society in the Pre-Revolutionary American Colonies in regards to the slave trade in relation to modern black American racism? Does that sound like justice to you? Ignore history and just call something bad?

As a minority myself, I have found the best way to combat racism is first to understand it. With understanding we can develop the tools the combat it.

“Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

Just curious - The Athabaskan are native Alaskans, aren't they? And the Great Plains extend from the US-Canadian border to the US - Mexico border but only east of the Rockies to about the Mississippi River), so this doesn't include what I normally think of as the Southwestern US.

to me, the southwest is Arizona, NM, California, Nevada. Please clarify. I am not an expert on this topic but it is interesting to me. Thanks

I live within the privilege of an ethnic majority, and I cannot relate on a personal level for that reason. It sounds like a challenging and isolating situation. I guess my question to you is, does a gross ethnic disparity in employee diversity automatically equal discrimination? The disparity of employee ethnicity is a simple fact. It exists, in extremis at your place of employment apparently. Discrimination refers to how you are treated. Are you being treated differently or unfairly than your white co-workers?

On 8/24/2019 at 2:40 PM, ConstantGardener said:

This is Florida in general. Having grown up in South and Central Florida and then setting foot on University of Florida, the socio economic disparity is just shocking. Going from about 40 to 50% minorities in upper middle class suburbs to University of Florida's 20% minorities at best was disheartening.

Also, SW Florida is less urban then SE and Central Florida, thus has attracted fewer Hispanic immigrants putting down roots, so it's super pasty.

Pasty??? Well, try being pasty with little brown spots on that pasty skin also, then tell me about being white, black, brown, red, or yellow !!!! Try being freckled everywhere the sunshine hits you! I grew up wishing I was either white or brown, anything but freckled... People with their monotone skin of any color just don't know how much bullying they do. Oh, and red hair doesn't help, either... Carrot top was one of the nicest names I was called. Also called "one of those smart girls" by people who maybe weren't so "smart".

Thank God my momma and daddy and brothers didn't contribute to the bullying. I grew up and married a man who loves my hair and freckles. Raised kids who are not racist, or judgmental of people. You can only judge someone by how they behave and how they treat or mistreat others. I

If this op is not being mistreated, called names, or snubbed by that management of coworkers, what's the problem??

On 9/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, Kooky Korky said:

to me, the southwest is Arizona, NM, California, Nevada. Please clarify. I am not an expert on this topic but it is interesting to me. Thanks

I believe southwestern starts near San Antonio then going west.

Edited by fibroblast

On 9/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, BombiRose said:

Pasty??? Well, try being pasty with little brown spots on that pasty skin also, then tell me about being white, black, brown, red, or yellow !!!! Try being freckled everywhere the sunshine hits you! I grew up wishing I was either white or brown, anything but freckled... People with their monotone skin of any color just don't know how much bullying they do. Oh, and red hair doesn't help, either... Carrot top was one of the nicest names I was called. Also called "one of those smart girls" by people who maybe weren't so "smart".

Thank God my momma and daddy and brothers didn't contribute to the bullying. I grew up and married a man who loves my hair and freckles. Raised kids who are not racist, or judgmental of people. You can only judge someone by how they behave and how they treat or mistreat others. I

If this op is not being mistreated, called names, or snubbed by that management of coworkers, what's the problem??

cancel

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK