First nurse job 1.5hour commute

Nurses New Nurse

Published

I have an interview for a potential employer for emergency room hospital position. This hospital laid off 60 nurses last year and the drive is 1.5 hours from my home. So a 3 hour total commute on days I would work if hired. Not sure if it would be worth it but my area is not hiring nurses with no experience. Opinions please. Thanks

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho, ASC.

Why did they lay off 60 nurses?

The article just stated "financial challenges"

Specializes in M/S, Pulmonary, Travel, Homecare, Psych..

I had to do a one hour commute for four months before I found my current position. I didn't hate it but, I was not sorry when I no longer had to do it.

Stock up on bottled water. I discovered I like a drink for those long commutes and having a soda each trip was making me sugar crash after a while lol

Be aware of traffic patterns and construction. The littlest things can add a lot of time to the commute. Don't want to be the one always walking in on the last minute. Not to mention traffic is so stressful when running late.

Consider audiobooks to listen to on the drive. I did, and it made me feel all that time wasn't a complete loss.

Get in the habit of being one of those people who get nervous when the gas tank is half full. Terrible feeling, walking out and realizing you don't have enough gas but you didn't leave early to fill up either.

It can be done but you will grow tired of it. Prepare well so you can do it as long as you need to.

Can you not try it out for a few months and move closer if it works out for you?

Do what you have to do. I would personally take this position if it is literally your ONLY choice to pay your bills, then relocate to a better area when my lease was up.

Specializes in HH, Peds, Rehab, Clinical.

They laid off 60 nurses within the last 12 months and are now hiring more? Flags are flying high for me...

I have an interview for a potential employer for emergency room hospital position. This hospital laid off 60 nurses last year and the drive is 1.5 hours from my home. So a 3 hour total commute on days I would work if hired. Not sure if it would be worth it but my area is not hiring nurses with no experience. Opinions please. Thanks

90 minutes is a LONG way to drive after 12 hours. If it is your only option, it might be worth it, but if you could relocate, I would.

I had a similar commute while I was in school (I own a home and selling was not an option). I rented a room at a boarding house (literally)! for $150 a month. Maybe you could do something like this for awhile and schedule your shifts for 3 in a row. But as others have said, see how you like it or maybe look for something closer. I dearly loved the hospital I drove to, but I got an offer at the hospital in my town and that also paid more $$$.

The commute is not your issue. The reason the facility "laid off" 60 nurses is. The financial " issues" have not been resolved and 60 laid off nurses... will be coming back for their jobs.

If that was my only option, I imagine that it would be looking pretty "good". I used to drive 1.5 to 2 hours to work each way. I didn't mind at first, but I eventually grew to hate it.

You have nothing to lose by going to the interview, I suppose. Go see what they say, see if they make you an offer, and then agonize. Right now there's not much of a "choice" to make.

Will you be working 12 hour shift? It doesn't sound bad if you are since it is only 3 days a week but what if you don't get off work on time. Instead of getting off at 7:30a you are there until 8:15a. Now you won't be home until 9:45a. By the time you shower(believe me most people want a shower) and go to sleep it is 10:30a. Now you must leave for work at 5:15 to get to work by 7p (add 15 minutes of cushion ) That would be rough. I just assumed you would be working nights but same goes if you work 12 hour days. What about needing to go into work for mandatory meetings or educational classes? This 90 minutes is without traffic, accidents or weather delays?

If it 8 hour shifts it would be rough as it would likely be 5 days a week but you'd have more spare time each day.

I think finding a room to rent on the times you work consecutive days would be a great idea as a PP said.

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

So many red flags. Financially in trouble; laid off 60 nurses. Are you sure you can't find something that is not with such a dubious employer? You may be laid off yourself, before you even get your feet firmly planted.

+ Add a Comment