Don't go into nursing school if_____
- 14Dec 26, '13 by Bea40448Fill in the blank with any advice you can give students who have just been accepted into a program or who are thinking about embarking on the journey of nursing school.
DON'T GO INTO NURSING SCHOOL IF you haven't done your own research about the realities of the profession. Good, bad, truth, and common myths & misconceptions.
- 34,374 Visits
- 23Dec 26, '13 by enuf_alreadyDon't go into nursing school if:
You think that being a nurse is an easy job that provides job security and a fat paycheck.
You think you will get a Monday through Friday day shift- no nights, no holidays, no call, that pays top dollar upon graduation
You can't take constructive criticism
You aren't willing to set your goals on what you eventually want to do and be willing to pay your dues to get there.
You are too good to clean poop;-) This comes with many nursing jobs so plan to be an expert by retirement!
- 8Dec 26, '13 by LadyFree28Don't go into nursing if you think in "black vs white", all or nothing thought patterns...nursing is a TON of gray and creative thinking needs to be in order.
Don't go into nursing if you are looking for something to validate your existence or NEED to be right...nursing has a toughness that is needed to advocate and critically think in order to endure this business.
- 21Dec 26, '13 by cardiacfreakDon't go into nursing school if you don't have any common sense.
....if you are doing it for mom/dad.
....if you aren't sure nursing is what you want to do.
....if you think you are going to change the world.
....if the thought of body fluids disgusts you.
....if you don't work well with others.
- 18Dec 26, '13 by nekozukiDon't go to nursing school if...
you expect to be cuddling babies and holding patient hands.
you expect to re-enact Grey Anatomy.
you expect appreciation, admiration and elevated status.
you have a chronic, painful need to be absolutely "right" all the time (because good Lord, when every answer on a test is technically correct but can still be wrong, your nursing instructor will throttle you if you try to debate your way to a better grade).
- 16Dec 26, '13 by delilas+ If you think you'll ever be too good to scrub down a patient in a good old fashioned bed bath.
+ If rectal foleys don't make you happy.
+ If you can't treat nursing school like a full time job.
+ If you can't own up to mistakes.
+ If you have no humility.
+ If you think it's a lot of codes, dramatic lifesaving, and you don't like repetitive, mundane tasks.
+ If you aren't damn sure being exposed to every bodily fluid you know of and a couple you don't is in your life plan for every work day for the rest of your life.