Did not pass the NET

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Hi everyone, I am so dissapointed because I failed the NET, not once but twice! I only have one more chance. If I don't pass this time I will not be allowed to take the test again for another year. I passed the math with flying colors, but the reading I failed by 2 points! I do have the NET book, but I must be studying it wrong or something. Now they are saying we will be taking the Hobet instead of the NET. I guess they are no longer using the NET test. Is there a difference? Do you think maybe I'm not smart enough for the nursing field? I really want to become an LPN. Any advice will help. Thanks all! :)

Specializes in none.

Hi, I don't know the answer but I just wanted to cheer you up! I hope you will past the test. I don't take the test yet. My advisor told me to finish pre-reqs classes first.

Anyhow, good luck for you

Specializes in OR Internship starting in Jan!!.

The reading part is really tricky for most people. Does your school offer any classes that help prepare you for the test? Good luck!

Specializes in ICCU - cardiac.

Did u take the computer or written version? I have a friend in the same position and she is going to try the written version now. The english part is much harder than anyone would expect isn't it? U might also try to get assistance in the resources area of the library. It is passable so try not to get too nervous or negative about it. Check out all the available u can get!

The reading section was horrible. You really have to study that to understand what they are talking about. It can be very confusing. Plus, the time limit is so stressful. I didn't finish all of my questions. I ended up passing the first time but I'm not sure my exact score.

I got the NET study guide from a fellow classmate and studied that for 4 days straight, mostly the reading. If you haven't read the study guide I would suggest borrowing it or buying it. It might be helpful to you.

Good luck! I would say half of the 30 people I tested with were there for their 4th or 5th time, all of them because of the reading section. So, don't give up yet. ;)

Specializes in Emergency.
The reading section was horrible. You really have to study that to understand what they are talking about. It can be very confusing. Plus, the time limit is so stressful. I didn't finish all of my questions. I ended up passing the first time but I'm not sure my exact score.

I find this very perplexing. The reading and math were (to me) at no more than a high school level of difficulty. While the NET doesn't seem to equate to nursing from a question content perspective, I think it's used to determine general comprehension level and ability to function under stress.

My school sent me a very detailed breakdown of how I performed on the NET along with what percentiles I fell into (both overall math/english as well as the components of each).

JMHO

Thanks everyone for all the help. I was so stressed yesterday. lol. But, I guess I just need to study the reading section a little harder and longer. Alot of people at my school had the same difficulty. We all thought we were horrible in math but passed it so easily. However, when it came to the reading portion we were all like 'what is this?' lol. I'm just going to study and pray, study and pray. Thanks again!

I also found the reading hard. I did pass but barely. It thought it was very difficult to do in the time limits. It does make sense that they are trying to test your stress level. I strongly suggest you wear a watch with a stopwatch. When they start the test, start the stopwatch. This really helped me. I took way too long on the first section. I only had 15 minutes for the last two essays. I knew I had to speed up in order to finish. I finished just in time. I was not able to check my answers but that may have been a good thing. I studied the study guide but still had a tough time. I got a 98 on the math but a 69 on the reading. I don't think it matters how well you pass just that you pass. Good luck. I am still trying to get into school. I have my interview next week. Colleen

Do not feel bad, keep your spirits up! I am in the same boat, trust me I feel very stupid!! I passed the reading the first time. I took the math for the third time today and missed it by a few points. Luckily my program insists you take it as many times as you need to get a passing score. I have to re-take it in three weeks. I really think it is the little clock on the screen that makes it so hard! All the pressure!

Melissa

DSplendid is right. I was surprised to hear that a couple of my "head of the class" classmates did very poorly on the reading portion of the NET, another had trouble with the math.

I took both the NET and the TEAS and was left with the impression that the TEAS was a better measure of knowledge. The NET just seemed to measure my performance in test taking itself... that is to say, my ability to figure out what answer they were looking for as opposed to what I thought was the right answer. Does that make sense at all?

Please - those of you who are having difficulty, get help. If the study guide isn't doing it for you check with the nursing school advisor. Perhaps some specific tutoring for standardized tests would help.

I did not pass the first time 49 overall composite. After I figured out how the test was done, I went back fighting! For the timed reading part, I carefully went thru it reading everyword. They said I read at fustration level:angryfire at the rate of 123 wpm. I took this test on line:

http://www.readingsoft.com/

I also googled some other speed reading/comprehension tests. My reading rate is now (at least on the NET) 285 wpm with 87% comprehension. Overall on the second time I took the NET I got a 75% composite score.

Hi everyone, just wanted to inform you all that I PASSED! lol! I'm so excited! I just studied, studied, and studied some more, and prayed really hard! lol. I really took my time and studied inferential reading and predicting outcomes which is what made me fail the first two times. My scores jumped up considerably in both areas. So I start the LPN program in October. Thanks for all your good advice and help. I really appreciate it.

+ Add a Comment