How to Stop a Nose Bleed??

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nursing, Ambulatory Care, etc..

My HA handed me this newspaper article this morning:

How to Use Cold Keys to Stop Your Nosebleed - The People's Pharmacy

Interesting. Anybody tried keys, or another cold object, on the back/back of neck for a nosebleed?

Specializes in School nursing.

I have, but really have found blowing the clot out to be way more effective in stopping a nosebleed.

I have done ice on the back of the neck. I do the pinch and blow, head forward.

I have spoons here. I'm putting one in the freezer right now.

Specializes in pediatrics, school nursing.

Any rationale for this remedy? I'm not doubting it and may try it with my next gusher, but I'm also very curious as to why this would work!

I haven't found it to work any better. I pinch the child's nose for 5 minutes (2 minutes if it's a tiny nose bleed), let the clot come out & send them back to class with tissues. I always pinch even if it's a "big kid" because they tend to let go.

Specializes in School Nursing, Ambulatory Care, etc..
I have, but really have found blowing the clot out to be way more effective in stopping a nosebleed.

I've found this (blowing the clot out) seems to be the magic trick as well.

I have done ice on the back of the neck. I do the pinch and blow, head forward.

I have spoons here. I'm putting one in the freezer right now.

Spoons? How? Where? Please tell!

Any rationale for this remedy? I'm not doubting it and may try it with my next gusher, but I'm also very curious as to why this would work!

The article says there is no clinical trials. This may be like the "honey for a cough" remedy - noone knows why it works, it just does???

I haven't found it to work any better. I pinch the child's nose for 5 minutes (2 minutes if it's a tiny nose bleed), let the clot come out & send them back to class with tissues. I always pinch even if it's a "big kid" because they tend to let go.

I usually trust the kid to pinch their own nose. I get why you do it though - even our kids that routinely get nosebleeds will let go.

LOL, my spoons from home, for my soup, of course.

No. Just no. I'd have the kids sticking them in their nose and making it all worse. :) Then my keys would be contaminated and I'd have to live here!

I have heard ice on the back of neck, base of skull. Apparently the nerves there signal a vasoconstriction in the nose.

I learned my lesson by cleaning the nose with vaseline without having them to blow their nose first. So blow nose FIRST! lol

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

When I was a kid I was prone to nose bleeds. My first and second grade teacher would put a little wadded piece of brown paper under my top lip. Maybe it didn't do squat, but at the time it seemed like it did. No idea why though.

For a really bad nose bleed, I use the Nose Budd ice pack. They work pretty well.

MacGill | Nosebudd™ Nose Pack

Specializes in kids.

I have them do the blow out of the clot (with lots of barriers to protect everyone else). Once that is done, have them gently swab the inside of the nares to mop up any extra and them another swab with vaseline.

+ Add a Comment