coworkers calling me stupid to and in front of patients

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Can I have advice please as for what to say to some of my coworkers who do this?

They will tell my patients that I'm "not very smart and it's scary I'm a nurse" for example. I have felt it damage the rapport with a few patients they said this to in front of me.

I wonder what I've done for them to do this (them is really just 3 people but it feels like a lot more you know what I mean? It feels like everyone else will follow them) I think maybe I ask for it in a way because I have a habit to make jokes at my expense and laugh at myself.

But whatever the reason I don't feel it's right especially not in front of my patients who need to feel that they can trust me.

I am a competant nurse. I have not made any mistakes, I ask questions when I'm not sure of something and I do resrearch when I need to. I've never been in trouble for doing something wrong as a nurse. I am a new nurse though so I'm always learning yet.

What can I say to stop this? I've said in the past "I've graduated top of my class I'm not stupid" but it continues.

Maybe my response sounds arrogant. Can anyone suggest something else?

Thank you.

Edit

The people who do this are a nurse, an aid, and a secretary. I know I sound sensitive but it does effect my day and like I said my patients' trust when I'm called stupid or dumb and especially the last comment telling my patient that it's scary I'm a nurse, had really bothered me. The context this was said in was I asked a student if she was a student nurse. She wore no badge and her lab coat did have the school enblem but on a shoulder that wasn't facing me. I was ambulating my new post op patient in the hall. The aid said "she's not too smart it's scary she's a nurse". There's been countless other instances similar where I don't feel it's deserved, I mean that I didn't do any mistake or something to deserve to be called names.

Ask them why they do it

Ask them why they do it

They said if they didn't like me they wouldn't tease me or something like that. Or if they really thought I was dumb they wouldn't say I was. Or they only joke with people they like. I have said but not in front of patients but they scoff it off. I just need to be able to say something to express it bothers me and to stop in a firm enough way but not making enemies? I'm not very good at speaking up for myself although I'm pretty passionate about speaking up for my patients so I don't know why not myself. (Although they said they only joke with people they like I'm the only one I know of them calling stupid)

Unfortunately, some people are dissatisfied with their own lives so they are mean and rude to other people to make themselves feel better. If you know you are competent and a good nurse, try your best to ignore them. You are there for your patient. If it gets to the point of being harassing, then you might have to go to HR about it. And I agree with previous post, ask them why they are doing it. It definitely is not professional for them to do that sort of thing in front of patients.

Their comments are not appropriate in the work place, especially with a patient present.

Review your facility's policy .. then write them up with specific verbiage... each and every time.

Specializes in retired LTC.

I have a real concern when staff berate or negatively address a coworker or another absent staff member when they are IN FRONT of pts. It sends a message to the present pt that the facility hires bad employees.

I'm sure that this is NOT a message that the institution wants to convey to the public. In a time when public image and satisfaction scores are carrying so much import, this should not be occurring. I think this would be a issue that higher-uppers might be interested to know. Also it is such a deterrent to team building and cohesiveness.

Now I don't want to sound idealistic blowing glitter snow around, but in all the management and team building seminars I've sat through, rule #1 is DO NOT TEAR DOWN YOUR PEERS in front of others, particularly the public.

I don't kow how receptive OP's higher-uppers might be if she were to somehow broach the subject with them. Maybe somehow dropping a concern thru the Corp hotline? Somehow without dropping too much damning details and finger pointing that could come back to bite OP in the butt.

Sadly, I'll bet there's a group of that level of managlement present who never heard of rule #1.

I'd talk to them first, saying their comments--even as jokes-- are unprofessional and need to stop.

If they continue, go up the chain (management, HR). Document their comments as you go. Be prepared, though, that if management permits this type of bullying, you may need to look for another job.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Ask them why they do it

With all due love and respect, ponymom, I would not advise direwOlf to do this.

For one reason, the behavior is inappropriate and any rationale for their actions is not acceptable.

The second reason, in asking another person for their inappropriate behavior, is giving them power. The culprits will either defend their actions possibly allowing them room to be more offense.

I would say something like "Statements like calling me 'stupid' in front of patients is inappropriate. This behavior must stop, or you will need to deal with the ramifications of your actions".

Notice that I said "this behavior" and not "your behavior" because using the word you is an aggressive tact. I also gave direction as in "this behavior must stop" and an outcome if the request is not followed.

The outcome does not give specifics but merely "you will need to deal with the ramifications of your actions". The planned action is unknown to the culprit not giving them any more power, for in knowledge there is power. Allow them to simmer in their own juices.

This technique has been beneficial in curbing and controlling inappropriate behavior countless times in my life and career.

Good luck and the very best to you, direwOlf.

Specializes in ICU.

That kind of attitude would never fly in any facility I've worked in. Saying its scary she's a nurse (to a patient) really amounts to slander, in my opinion. You have a valid license with your own scope of practice. You don't work for them, they don't write your paycheck, so who are they to try to damage your professional image in front of patients??

With all due love and respect, ponymom, I would not advise direwOlf to do this.

For one reason, the behavior is inappropriate and any rationale for their actions is not acceptable.

The second reason, in asking another person for their inappropriate behavior, is giving them power. The culprits will either defend their actions possibly allowing them room to be more offense.

I would say something like "Statements like calling me 'stupid' in front of patients is inappropriate. This behavior must stop, or you will need to deal with the ramifications of your actions".

Notice that I said "this behavior" and not "your behavior" because using the word you is an aggressive tact. I also gave direction as in "this behavior must stop" and an outcome if the request is not followed.

The outcome does not give specifics but merely "you will need to deal with the ramifications of your actions". The planned action is unknown to the culprit not giving them any more power, for in knowledge there is power. Allow them to simmer in their own juices.

This technique has been beneficial in curbing and controlling inappropriate behavior countless times in my life and career.

Good luck and the very best to you, direwOlf.

Thank you for all the advice, and this above was very helpful as well.

The name calling has been bothering me. I questiondd myself a lot, if maybe I really was acting in a way that made me look stupid. I plan to say this "this kind of behavior, even though you see it as just joking, isn't appropriate to say to or in front of patients because there may be ramifications".

Specializes in ICU and Dialysis.

This is not normal workplace banter, and it is not OK.

You need to be writing down names, dates and times, and verbatim quotes. If this continues I would approach either your manager or HR with copies of such.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Thank you for all the advice, and this above was very helpful as well.

The name calling has been bothering me. I questiondd myself a lot, if maybe I really was acting in a way that made me look stupid. I plan to say this "this kind of behavior, even though you see it as just joking, isn't appropriate to say to or in front of patients because there may be ramifications".

You're welcome, direwOlf. And of course it bothers you. Yours is an appropriate reaction to name calling.

To self assess is a good thing. We all need to consider others' opinions of who we are and possibly titrate our behavior. But, bottom line, it is we who have to sleep with ourselves and be, or get, okay with who we are.

Name calling is malicious and uncaring to say the least. Inappropriate behavior in the workplace cannot be tolerated. Your plan sounds good. Stick to your guns, say your piece, and I'd also advise you not to argue with them. Silence can speak volumes.

The very best to you, direwOlf!

+ Add a Comment