The life or death squatty potty

Nurses General Nursing

Published

So I just had to share this with people that would understand. Not a rant, just a quick story.

On my ICU floor, we have a stool like object that we use during CPR since or beds are pretty tall. I come into work to see the stool in a patients room. Apparently, she had been using it as a squatty potty. Maybe 10 minutes later, a different patient codes. While we're working on her. I tell the cna which room the stool is in for her to go get. She comes back and says that the patient wouldn't let her take it, even after she explained to the patient that we need it for a code, happening right now.

There are plenty of staff in the room (asking for the stool actually) so I run over and just grab the stool, all the while I can hear the patient making a big stink about me taking her squatty potty. I was just amazed by her selfishness. Stool should not have even been in her room.

She did complain to my charge nurse, but no one really cared.

If you are lucky, she'll remember you and refuse you as her nurse. We can dream, right?

Specializes in ER.

My short stint in bedside nursing has taught me one thing about human beings in general: people are ********.

Specializes in Cardiac Stepdown, PCU.

I hope the aide was educated on how to handle a situation like that if it were to occur again. The patient telling her no and her going "uh. Ok" should never have been a thing.

Kind of funny, I'm laughing because I don't know what a squatty potty is? Just saying the name makes me laugh.

I'm kind of guessing.....but if someone could eludicate me.

I use big words like eludicate.... there fore don't know was squatty potty means :-).

Kind of funny, I'm laughing because I don't know what a squatty potty is? Just saying the name makes me laugh.

I'm kind of guessing.....but if someone could eludicate me.

I use big words like eludicate.... there fore don't know was squatty potty means :-).

It's a stool that wraps around your toilet. When you put your feet up on it, it puts you in a squatting position which is supposedly better for going number 2. I've personally never tried it, but it has really good reviews.

Amazon.com: Squatty Potty The Original Bathroom Toilet Stool, White, 7": Health & Personal Care

Specializes in school nurse.

You have the best titled post today for sure.

This is where I tell a patient. I don't ask.

I am the world's least assertive person, but I have learned to say "Mrs. B, this piece of hospital equipment is needed elsewhere right now. I will return it when we are done."

There is no room for argument if you leave quickly and say it sweetly.

The stool is not her personal property.

I am related to the owner and founder of squatty potty. :)

Specializes in NICU.

It was on an episode of Shark Tank

Able to get up and use a squatty potty and make a fuss when it's removed from her room?

Sounds like she's ready to be discharged to the floor!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.
Sounds like she's ready to be discharged to the floor!

Floor? Psssh! HOME! BYE!!!

I thought the squatty potty video on YouTube was a joke at first. If you haven't seen it, please take a minute. Then follow it with the prancercise video for a truly retina-scarring experience. :D

+ Add a Comment