Why do teachers

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Pediatrics, Community Health, School Health.

feel the need to send me a kid with a no longer bleeding nose? What are they expecting from me? Happens ALL.THE.TIME :banghead: and really, why am I seeing the bloody nose kids at all? Obviously the rare ones that are gushers and won;t stop I totally understand, but 99% of the time the kid walks in with a kleenex and it isn't even bleeding anymore. Rant over

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

i don't think the teachers realize we need to chart every blasted thing that comes through our door. or probably don't care. I choose to believe the former to keep the peace even though I know in my heart of hearts it's the latter.

Because it's not in their union contract.

Why do teachers send me kids that fell asleep in class?

"Well, you're awake now, back to class!"

i don't think the teachers realize we need to chart every blasted thing that comes through our door.

Yep. And I always chart the same thing. "Student reports spontaneous nosebleed presenting tissue with scant amount of blood. Bleeding subsided before arrival at health office. Washed hands/face in restroom and returned to class"

Yes!

I just had a kid (ff status) present, 10 minutes after the bell, with vague complaints. First, it was his throat, which looked okay when I checked it, then he was "gonna puke", then he had body aches (98.0), then he was tired. I asked him if his mother knew he didn't feel well. "Yeah, but she wanted me to try at least." Mom isn't going to pick him up, asked him to go back to class (he went ahead and texted her on his way to my office). Kid comes back 5 min later, "My math teacher (and huge hypochondriac), said I can't be in class if I'm sick." Ugh!!

Yes!

I just had a kid (ff status) present, 10 minutes after the bell, with vague complaints. First, it was his throat, which looked okay when I checked it, then he was "gonna puke", then he had body aches (98.0), then he was tired. I asked him if his mother knew he didn't feel well. "Yeah, but she wanted me to try at least." Mom isn't going to pick him up, asked him to go back to class (he went ahead and texted her on his way to my office). Kid comes back 5 min later, "My math teacher (and huge hypochondriac), said I can't be in class if I'm sick." Ugh!!

:banghead:
Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

Preach!

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Yep. And I always chart the same thing. "Student reports spontaneous nosebleed presenting tissue with scant amount of blood. Bleeding subsided before arrival at health office. Washed hands/face in restroom and returned to class"

I do that but then I write on the pass "Nosebleed resolved on the way to clinic!" With a smiley.

I do that but then I write on the pass "Nosebleed resolved on the way to clinic!" With a smiley.

I like when I get to write "Student presented with no tissues and no evidence of bleeding, advised student to keep fingers out of nose"

Because it's not in their union contract.

Why do teachers send me kids that fell asleep in class?

"Well, you're awake now, back to class!"

Or tell me that the kid has been sleeping in class for 45 minutes. The kid is breathing

what is "presenting tissue"? lol

Specializes in school nursing/ maternal/child hospital based.

Im so glad to hear Im not the only one that wants to beat my head against my desk when these types of students present to my office. One of these days Im going to let out the scream I hear in my head when these little darlings come prancing in!!!!!!

+ Add a Comment