Hot Cheetos are a public health menace

Nurses General Nursing

Published

You are reading page 10 of Hot Cheetos are a public health menace

unknownjulie

110 Posts

I have only read 6 pages of this, so forgive me if I post something that is redundant but there are a few things I'm reading that don't make sense. EBT can't buy restaurant fast food, only food from stores. Fast food can be part of healthy eating.

I personally fed my kids McDoubles pratically everyday when they were little along with fruit and veggies. My kids are skinny and healthy. It was just cheaper to buy McDoubles at the time than to actually buy the meat, bun, condiments and use the energy to cook the burgers myself. Now, the McDonald's prices have gone up and I cook more at home. The hot cheetos and takis and crap like that are limited in my house. I also don't generally allow frenchfries. Soda is just sugar and water and chemicals I have no idea how people even drink it.

I guess I just felt compelled to post because when i was feeding my three kids McDoubles everyday and also on EBT I got a lot of comments from people who didn't even understand what I was doing. Times are better now financially, but I still buy a lot of burgers out of house, and cook a lot of vegetarian foods while at home because I don't like the mess of cooking meat. I also have lived in NM and love spicy food and it's not the spice that causes the health problems it's the junk chemicals in the fake foods like cheetos. Green and red chilis are good for you!

Ms_Interpret

74 Posts

Truth is, the Cheetos are less likely to burn a hole in your stomach lining than the 4th Diet Coke you had today.

dream'n, BSN, RN

1,162 Posts

Specializes in UR/PA, Hematology/Oncology, Med Surg, Psych.
In all honestly, us in the SN section of these forums have tried YEARS to get rid of the Hot Cheetos/ Takis issue but it won't stop! As much as we ban, educate or even lecture our students, they still eat that food.

Now granted, I'm from Texas and I'm Hispanic, I do eat chile on my foods, but not ALL my foods and not ALL the time. We are known to love spicy food, but the problem is moderation. I have students who gobble a HUGE bag of Takis for Lunch with a Soda Every day, and that's their Lunch. Then later to have them complain of stomach issues and vomit red.

Until they have an ER situation where they learn they might have or already have a hole in their esophagus or stomach, they'll stop. Trust me on this, I seen it. Had one student who would be the gobblers of Takis each day and one day had issues and went to the ER, found out she's developing a ulcer and a small hole on her esophagus and she quit cold turkey.

I had an aunt who would eat spicy food all the time, with the red and green chiles in all her food. Found out she has stomach cancer and hole in esophagus and now is not able to eat any spicy food at all.

I explain this to my students and others, but until this happens to them, nothing will be fixed.

My own children I don't let them eat Takis, only sometimes. It's like a treat for them at school and rarely from the store. I explained why and showed pictures and they are scared to eat too much of them. .

I mentioned Takis because my patients (teenagers) ADORE them! I've never tried them, too scared that if I did my tongue would burn off. I can't even hardly handle mild salsa

klone, MSN, RN

14,790 Posts

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
I mentioned Takis because my patients (teenagers) ADORE them! I've never tried them too scared that if I did my tongue would burn off. I can't even hardly handle mild salsa[/quote'] You can get different flavors. The mild ones taste like Doritos.

Amethya

1,821 Posts

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.
But the education has not been done on a mass scale the way cigarettes has. It's taken place, if at all, in individual doctor's and nurse's office, or in comments sections or in little discrete articles, geez, it's nearly been boutiqued. Let's do something different for once, is what I say!

Also, I did not realize spicy food being bad was a thing. It's the other cr*&p.

NS

And in all honesty, it should. But since it's not a big epidemic, it won't be educated to the masses.

Amethya

1,821 Posts

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.
I mentioned Takis because my patients (teenagers) ADORE them! I've never tried them too scared that if I did my tongue would burn off. I can't even hardly handle mild salsa[/quote']

I have a 10 year old and she loves the hot Takis. I do limit them at home though. It's the occasional treat at home and at school, sometimes the teachers use them as a reward. I buy them the small bags too, not the huge ones, even though mine goes through a big bag in about a month.

I kinda want to try one but I have bad acid reflux that even Pizza causes me discomfort.

morte, LPN, LVN

7,015 Posts

Why is it surprising that poor people would choose to pay for food over gauze? And poor people often choose fast food over fresh, organic, and healthy because it's cheaper.

we all need to learn that filling the belly is not the same as feeding the body.

broughden

560 Posts

Hot Cheetos are now making national news. Some rapper got torn up from them.

Lil Xan Hospitalized For Eating Too Many Flamin’ Hot Cheetos | Consequence of Sound

Emergent, RN

4,243 Posts

Specializes in ER.

See, I was right, wasn't I? Hot Cheetos ARE a public health menace!

allnurses Guide

BostonFNP, APRN

2 Articles; 5,581 Posts

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.
Hot Cheetos are now making national news. Some rapper got torn up from them.

Lil Xan Hospitalized For Eating Too Many Flamin' Hot Cheetos | Consequence of Sound

"To purchase a bag of Flamin' Hots is to dance with the devil, to throw one's fears of an inflamed brown eye to the wind in favor of the spectacular, mouth-searing present."

I just love this line.

klone, MSN, RN

14,790 Posts

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Who the **** is Lil Xan? Is it pronounced Christian?

+ Add a Comment