My own two kids started school today

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Pediatrics, Community Health, School Health.

I am having major mom guilt and just emotional in general I think. My fifth grader is a happy go-lucky kid, was happy to see her friends and got dropped off at a friend's house to go to school together today. My 7th grade son is the complete opposite. Has never liked school after Kindergarten, is sort of a floater socially, so does not have that excited to see everyone feeling, no core group of friends, etc. Of course, that makes me worry about him socially. He is also at a new school (7th and 8th grade Junior High). He knows a TON of kids through town sports, his former school, etc., but it still feels "new". The icing was that he got braces last week and his face is totally broken out. :blink: He was mopey all last week thinking about school starting, was unable to sleep last night because he was anxious and in general was just not feeling it this morning. Our entire morning routine is changing this year because of timing of my start time, end time, etc. He was supposed to leave the house at 7:30 and ride his bike to school. Heat index is 100 today and my husband asked if I could drive him instead due to the heat. The only problem with that is that meant I had to drop him off really early. So I left my 12 year-old in an empty parking lot at 7:08 am this morning. Not a soul around :( I felt like I was about to cry as I pulled away and saw him alone with his back pack in the rear view mirror. I know it all sounds ridiculous, but it just felt like a really crummy way to have your first day at a new school. I am just praying that he comes home and at least says it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. The whole schedule thing is frustrating because I don;t have to be at work until 8:00 am, but it is one of those situations where I either have to leave super early and then I get here at 7:35, or if I leave any later than 7:20 I am late due to traffic patterns. If I miss that magic window I am screwed. It is fine for them to get to school on their own for now, but I am in New England so once it gets super cold it will be harder. Anyway, just feeling sad for my kid, and needed to vent I guess.

Specializes in OB.

Oh mama! That must have been so hard. Vent away. I hope he has a good day, and that you give yourself grace not to feel guilty for doing the best you can with the tools you have. Hugs!

Big hugs! Fingers crossed that he comes home saying he had a great day!!

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

I feel you. I wish I could've been there for my kid's first day, but instead we left them with my father and he took them to school. I haven't been involved in first days since my youngest first day of Kinder.

Specializes in NCSN.

Sending hugs your way. We each do the best we can and I am sure your son knows what an amazing mom he has. Fingers crossed for a good first day for them both.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Anybody that has kids knows how you are feeling, when you're not wanting to wring their neck. I'm thinking this was actually a better plan for the first day at a new school. He was there as others arrived and was able to ease into it gradually versus riding his bike up to a bunch of hustling and bustling kids, cars, teachers, and helicopter parents.

Hugs mama. My daughter started 3rd grade yesterday. Sometimes it really sucks when you can't be there for them when they start school.

I've already been yelled at by a mom, and this is only day 2 for me:(

Hugs mama. My daughter started 3rd grade yesterday. Sometimes it really sucks when you can't be there for them when they start school.

I've already been yelled at by a mom, and this is only day 2 for me:(

I'm sorry you were yelled at- that is the worst! Especially since we are only doing our jobs to keep THEIR kids safe and healthy. HUGS to you!

Specializes in kids.

You and they will be OK!

MHDNURSE- any update?? How did the first day go?

Thanks everyone for support, it takes a Virtual Village for sure!! So DS said "It wasn't as bad as I expected" which for him is positive, LOL. Also, they called an early release today at noon due to the heat so he was extra happy about that. I was able to drop him off a little later this morning and there were a good number of kids already there. Thanks again. Sometimes it just feels crummy when you feel like you are putting other people's kids above the needs of your own kids. Thanks again for all the kind words :)

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.
Thanks everyone for support, it takes a Virtual Village for sure!! So DS said "It wasn't as bad as I expected" which for him is positive, LOL. Also, they called an early release today at noon due to the heat so he was extra happy about that. I was able to drop him off a little later this morning and there were a good number of kids already there. Thanks again. Sometimes it just feels crummy when you feel like you are putting other people's kids above the needs of your own kids. Thanks again for all the kind words :)

I hope he has a good week of school! If he's having issues making friends, why not join clubs? Maybe he can find some friends with same likes. That's what I did as a student and suggest to kids in my school who feel lonely.

+ Add a Comment