Ten Questions with Nancy Lee Grahn aka "Alexis Davis" on General Hospital

General Hospital soap opera star Nancy Lee Grahn answers ten questions regarding her character "Alexis Davis" and the controversial #metoomovement story on this iconic soap. See how this story affects you as a nurse. Read this and empower yourself! Nurses General Nursing Interview

Updated:  

1. Can nurses affect the #metoomovement as shown in this GH script?

Yes
      No
      Maybe
      Never

3 members have participated

Ten Questions with Nancy Lee Grahn aka "Alexis Davis" on General Hospital

I recently interviewed General Hospital soap opera star Nancy Lee Grahn. One of the best known lawyers on daytime, her riveting performance as "Alexis Davis" the attorney for the two hospital staff members of the #metoomovement storyline on GH is worth exploring. She is drawn to bad boys like "Sonny Corinthos" (Maurice Benard), and "Julian Jerome" (William deVry). This year she was nominated for a daytime Emmy for outstanding lead actress in a drama series. Get into the mindset of this fascinating character who has been on the show since 1996.

1. This case exists in a fictional hospital. Do you think this case between Kiki and Dr. Bensch could have happened in a real hospital setting?

Could happen? It does happen. In a hospital, a school, a law firm, a bank....anywhere and everywhere. This is a reality for many women to some degree at some point in their working lives.

2. Francesca the RN on the show. Do you think that her story line is credible, that she was coerced into sex with Dr. Bensch?

Absolutely credible. This type of thing happens all the time. I've had friends that this has happened to sometimes expressly like here, sometimes by implication - I.e., women who don't cooperate with their harasser are systematically and insidiously destroyed. Suddenly, they aren't given opportunities, they are diminished and demeaned inside and outside of their presence, and often find themselves terminated for ridiculous reasons. Moreover, others who do give in, are seen to be advanced or at least survive in the workplace. Some women simply cannot afford the possibility of losing their jobs as they have children to feed or bills to pay and no other options. This is where the lines seem to blur as between a Francesca situation and Kiki one. But blaming Francesca for giving in to the threats ignores the bigger issue - nothing excuses someone threatening your livelihood unless you give them sex. It's not a real choice. That threat for many women is the same as holding a gun to her head and demanding sex - no one would consider blaming a woman for "giving in" under such circumstances. No one should blame Francesca either. Blaming Francesca for giving in to Dr. Bensch's threats and his abuse of power lets Dr. Bensch off the hook for his despicable and criminal behavior.

3. Given today's climate regarding sexual harassment how do you think she fell into this trap? Do you think it was due to her age?

I think it's dangerous to see this as women "falling into a trap" because it makes it sound like Francesca, Kiki, or any woman could have avoided being in a harassment situation if only she'd done something different. These aren't traps - men like Dr. Bensch are going to harass regardless. You are right that there has been a climate change and no question that the "Me Too" movement has moved the line in a better direction. But it has not in any way eradicated sexual harassment or changed predators' behavior. While things are improved in terms of women at least being taken seriously when they complain, the facts are that men still have more positions of power in almost every workplace and some still harass and women still fear for their career future. These situations have not ended - they've just had a little more light shined on them. Even some of those who seemingly stood up for the Me Too movement and spoke out against Harvey Weinstein, like Les Moonves, has, it turns out, had a bunch of women come forward to say he'd done what Harvey Weinstein had to them - reputable women like Illeana Douglas. Things are improving but the problem has not ended.

4. As fictional attorney Alexis Davis do you think GH has enough emphasis on the medical side of things or more the legal side of things because of Sonny Corinthos and his organized crime ties?

Let's just say, I would like a better balance of power between the mob and the law. It's a soap opera, so the hot bad boys rule. Television is complicated. However, when the heroes are killers, the stories are skewed in favor of the killers which puts those with a moral compass at a disadvantage. They do their best under the circumstances and I will say women do better on soaps than they do in primetime and kudos to the daytime network honchos for that. But I confess that I still have popped a vein or 2 over my 30 years in daytime wanting the playing field between men and women in soaps to be more equal. This is where Soaps and real life are similar. I and my coworkers, male and female, artistic and technical, keep trying to move the line and I feel, while we have farther to go, we have made measurable progress.

5. Are you surprised as Alexis Davis that Kiki decided to go after the case given her status as a nurse's aide and pre-med student, that is the low woman on the totem pole?

Courage has no status. Often those who seem the weakest and most vulnerable have the most strength, courage, and fight in them.

6. How do you prepare to go into lawyer mode as Alexis Davis on the one hand versus being so insecure about your relationships with men (I can see the change when you speak to Julian for example) vs. when you prepare to do battle as the fierce attorney.? How do you reconcile the two sides of Alexis?

It's an ongoing battle many women have and one that I hope the writers find interesting enough to pursue out loud. I know a lot of kick *** professional women who are fierce in the workplace, but go home to as many vulnerabilities and insecurities as Alexis. I love that dissonance in Alexis - it feels real to me.

7. Given that you have watched the show evolve over the past twenty years, do you think the #metooGH could have happened when your nemesis Helena Cassadine was on the show? She was such a strong willed woman?

Helena would be an interesting case study, but probably not for the me too movement. I can only say that Frank and the network are very interested in doing right by the #metoo movement which is why this story was created, approved & written.

8. Will the #metooGH movement color how you portray Alexis in the future?

I have and will always be a fighter for gender equality in real-life and in the character I play with the words I'm given. I'm a lovable (for the most part) pain in the *** about this, I fight each battle about the fair portrayal of women... and win some. I've learned to choose my battles. The PTB on GH are EXTREMELY fair about listening and supporting me, and I'm not just saying that because I work for them. I'm too old and too honest for that. They really walk the walk But I will never stop fighting.

9. Will Alexis back down even less? Become more ruthless like Scott Baldwin or does she have that intrinsic good core despite being a Cassadine?

Well, It seems that bad behavior wins the day in this climate. Don't get me started. I'd direct you to my Twitter Account @nancyleegrahn and ask you to scroll through if you want to see me wound up! But I'd like to use a new friend of mine, Michael Avenetti, as an example of what I think is necessary right now and would defend my character to follow his lead. The game has changed. The high road was lovely and correct, but the rules have changed and we cannot play little league when the other team is playing hard pro ball. We must fight. And fight to win. Our democracy and liberty depend on it. I kind of hope Alexis comes to this conclusion as well - with some limits.

10. Where do you see Alexis in the next 5 years? I wish I could say The White House, but Alexis wasn't born in the USA so isn't constitutionally qualified. Wouldn't it be funny if she got deported now that the government is looking at past citizens who have already been naturalized? But seriously, I'd just like to see her hip deep in love, sex, family, friends, enemies, and legal battles. Or is that too greedy? I'll just take the sex!

This show is leading the way to illuminate and educate nurses about the importance of the #metoomovement and how it affects them in the workplace environment. As nurses, we show our patients empathy 24/7. Nurses, empower yourselves like Kiki and Francesca on GH! What do you think of the GH storyline? Has this happened to you in the hospital setting?

1 Votes

Debi Fischer RN, BA, BSN, MSW, LSCW is a nurse in a surgical oncology step down unit. Prior to that she worked in orthopedics and neurology. She has earned a master’s degree in social work and is also a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.

6 Articles   78 Posts

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Well this is certainly not an "article" I'd ever imagine I'd see posted here.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU.

I can't believe I just skimmed through that. I'm not even sure what to say. And there's two more articles related to this. And you seriously are saying to nurses to empower yourselves like characters on a freaking soap opera...What is going on?! There are 92737479 other people that come to mind to use as role models for empowerment instead of characters on a soap opera.

Specializes in MDS/ UR.

I am speechless.

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

No. Just no.

Specializes in Specializes in L/D, newborn, GYN, LTC, Dialysis.

It's a soap opera.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
And you seriously are saying to nurses to empower yourselves like characters on a freaking soap opera...What is going on?! There are 92737479 other people that come to mind to use as role models for empowerment instead of characters on a soap opera.

Yeah! Especially when AN.com has its own soap opera with its own drama!

https://allnurses.com/nursing-humor-share/an-coms-soap-1087305.html

Oh Lord Davey Do, sometimes I wonder what it would be like to get a glimpse into your mind...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27363[/ATTACH]

Are you kidding me right now?!?!? WOW. I have no clue what to say. Is it a wonder that Nurses are treated like doo-doo when our "role-models" have the qualifications of being some actress who plays a nurse on a Soap Opera?

WOW!!!! Welcome to 1963

I feel a little embarrassed by all of these general hospital threads.

Well this is certainly not an "article" I'd ever imagine I'd see posted here.

I totally agree. Thinking I'd post an article on the dumbing down effects of daytime TV.

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.
This show is leading the way to illuminate and educate nurses about the importance of the #metoomovement

To my mind, an actress saying a soap opera is leading the way to illuminate and educate nurses is anything but empowering.

Nurses, empower yourselves like Kiki and Francesca on GH!

What about the guys in nursing this article seems to ignore? Is there room for a Joe or a Fred as an option if they can't relate to Kiki and Francesca?

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

AN publishes a wide variety of articles on many different subjects. While some articles might not be appreciated by all readers, we appreciate the range of topics.