Should I be totally honest in my interview?

Nurses Career Support

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi,

I have an interview at a major hospital next week and am currently working per-diem in the same area of nursing. The HR lady asked me why I haven't gone full time at my current job, and the truth is the hospital does not pay well enough for me to actually live off of it. The hospital I am interviewing with will pay me 18.00 an hour more.

So, my question is should I be honest if they ask me that again during the interview? I know it's generally bad to talk about pay on an interview unless they bring it up.

Annie

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

Be somewhat honest, and say that you have researched the reputation/mission statement/reviews/etc. of the hospital you are applying for full time, and feel that their goals are a better fit for you than the hospital you are currently working prn at.

Specializes in ER.

I think that it's good to let HR know that, although you love the people and work at your Per Diem job, the excellent pay where you are applying is a big incentive for you to seek employment with them.

They need to know that their compensation offered is important, and that you aren't a malcontent at your other place of employment.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I agree with the above posts -- be "somewhat honest" -- honest, but with a positive spin.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
Hi,

I have an interview at a major hospital next week and am currently working per-diem in the same area of nursing. The HR lady asked me why I haven't gone full time at my current job, and the truth is the hospital does not pay well enough for me to actually live off of it. The hospital I am interviewing with will pay me 18.00 an hour more.

So, my question is should I be honest if they ask me that again during the interview? I know it's generally bad to talk about pay on an interview unless they bring it up.

Annie

Without going into details about hourly rates you could just say that the per-diem compensation does not meet you current needs and you have been looking to step up to a full-time position with full time benefits and you heard that this hospital is a great organization to work for.

Hppy

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

I would be completely honest in this case. Far better pay is a good reason to switch jobs. If you took the opportunity to gripe about your NM, that would be a red flag. And talking about having researched the goals of the mission statement? Please.

Specializes in NICU.

why?Dont ask dont tell.If they want to hire you they will make the offers,who cares how you felt about the other job,say only positvie things about past ork although it is a big temptation to tell it like it is. Good luck

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

Always spin it into a positive. I think Emergent, RN's advice above is spot on and you should follow it.

I think that it's good to let HR know that, although you love the people and work at your Per Diem job, the excellent pay where you are applying is a big incentive for you to seek employment with them.

They need to know that their compensation offered is important, and that you aren't a malcontent at your other place of employment.

There is nothing wrong with admitting that good pay is a good incentive to attract good employees.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the responses, I appreciate the advise! They didn't really ask that question directly, but I did tell them because of my per-diem status I felt as though I wasn't able to increase my skill level to doing US and PICC/ML.

I think the interview went really well, as both the NM and NR were very easy to talk to. I will find out the end of next week if I get to shadow! Cross your fingers for me please! :)

Annie

+ Add a Comment