dropping meds in front of surveyors

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Community Health, Med/Surg, ICU Stepdown.

Does anyone else get SUPER nervous when joint commission comes around? I was observed yesterday passing meds and all went fine; they interviewed my patients and all gave good reviews. Then today they wanted to follow me for another med pass, this time a large group of them. I got so nervous having so many people observing me that I dropped all of the patients meds on the floor! Luckily they were all still wrapped and the inspectors were a nice group. In my rush to pick up everything I didn't get a new med cup and was advised to do this if it happens again but we did not receive a citation. So relived! Anyone else have a good joint commission story? I feel so bad about dropping the med cup but I'm trying not to perseverate!

Oh my gosh, that is exactly the what I could see myself doing haha.

I'm so glad for you that it went ok! Rock on, Libra!

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

Those darn surveyors make us so nervous but after you have through 20 or so surveys as I have it gets pretty routine. Here's my tip if you always do the job the right way every day performing for surveyors is easy!

Hppy

Specializes in Critical Care.

The JC isn't there to survey nurses, they are there to survey the hospital and more specifically hospital administrators. JC surveyors aren't shy about sharing their general nursing practice suggestions, but they can only cite the hospital for violations of CMS reimbursement rules.

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.
The JC isn't there to survey nurses, they are there to survey the hospital and more specifically hospital administrators. JC surveyors aren't shy about sharing their general nursing practice suggestions, but they can only cite the hospital for violations of CMS reimbursement rules.

This. State/OIG surveys make me a nervous wreck. JC, not as much.

Specializes in ICU, Research, Corrections.

I used to be a surveyor! It is quite common to drop at least one med during med pass observation, so common it is almost predictable. Just make sure you waste it properly if necessary.

Specializes in Critical Care.
I used to be a surveyor! It is quite common to drop at least one med during med pass observation, so common it is almost predictable. Just make sure you waste it properly if necessary.

There's not actually an reason to waste medications that are still wrapped, this is why surveyors get a bad wrap as being not-too-bright (pun intended).

Specializes in ICU, Research, Corrections.

That's why I added if necessary. If the med was still in a wrapper, then no need to waste it

Specializes in Public Health, TB.

I had a state inspector watching me do a dressing change. I was wearing gloves and when I went to apply my pre-cut pieces of tape, it stuck to the gloves and I taped my fingers together.

Specializes in Community Health, Med/Surg, ICU Stepdown.

Oh no! I could so see that happening to me... nerves can really be something! Hope they didn't say anything about it

Specializes in Med-Surg., LTC,, OB/GYN, L& D,, Office.

Many years ago I was giving a few pointers to an LPN prior to med pass while surveyors although on site had not reached our unit. She was attentive, at the onset but at the sound of the elevators opening and the pack's intimidating exit, she fainted (experienced a syncopal episode). The surveyors busied themselves elsewhere but later that week returned to check our incident reporting and employee follow-up

+ Add a Comment