How to relax after a bad shift

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ED, med-surg, peri op.

I am a new grad, 6 months out. I work in the resource unit in my hospital, so work on different floors all the time. However whenever I work on the general med floor I always leave angry and frustrated. I hate that floor, can not stand working on it. The staff are rude, the workload is unsafe, I never feel supported. Plus I never wanted to work in general med. it is only this floor. Whenever I work any where else it such a pleasant experience. The staff are great, I enjoy my shift, and help is always available. I have have talk to my boss, who is aware I hate medical nursing. But she believes it is good experience for me early in my career. I plan to remain in this job till the end of the year, and then will start applying for permanent jobs on the floors I enjoy working in. But for know how do relax after a s**t shift? How do switch off and not think about what happened that day (because there's always something that happened)?

Specializes in ED.

I like to practice meditation. I have a few apps on my phone. Calm and headspace are my favorites. I also like to do jigsaw puzzles, requires a focus that makes me forget about work.

Specializes in PCCN.

That's really difficult. I try to find stuff on you tube and listen to music.or take some Benadryl so I can go right to sleep(I work 2nd shift)

I hear you though.those medical floors make me very angry and upset. I abhor them. Am looking for non pt care job

Work out, movie, wine, ice cream if I'm honest. Vent on here, look at the classifieds and fantasize about a better, bigger job.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
I am a new grad, 6 months out. I work in the resource unit in my hospital, so work on different floors all the time. However whenever I work on the general med floor I always leave angry and frustrated. I hate that floor, can not stand working on it. The staff are rude, the workload is unsafe, I never feel supported. Plus I never wanted to work in general med. it is only this floor. Whenever I work any where else it such a pleasant experience. The staff are great, I enjoy my shift, and help is always available. I have have talk to my boss, who is aware I hate medical nursing. But she believes it is good experience for me early in my career. I plan to remain in this job till the end of the year, and then will start applying for permanent jobs on the floors I enjoy working in. But for know how do relax after a s**t shift? How do switch off and not think about what happened that day (because there's always something that happened)?

I used to walk my dogs after a bad shift . . . one night I walked them for 8 miles, then had to call a friend to come and get me because their pads were too raw to continue. That was a bad shift! A hot bath with a cup of hot chocolate always helped, too.

Have you considered that the staff of Med/Surg may feel unsupported, that their workload is heavy and that they may not be rude, nasty people but overwhelmed, overburdened people?

Specializes in ED, med-surg, peri op.
I used to walk my dogs after a bad shift . . . one night I walked them for 8 miles, then had to call a friend to come and get me because their pads were too raw to continue. That was a bad shift! A hot bath with a cup of hot chocolate always helped, too.

Have you considered that the staff of Med/Surg may feel unsupported, that their workload is heavy and that they may not be rude, nasty people but overwhelmed, overburdened people?

I'm sure they are. But Our medical and surgical floors are separate, they aren't mixed together. Both are just as busy. However the surgical floor is 100000000000% nicer to work on in every single way. The difference is they work together and support each other. Whereas medical is everyone for themselves and there is definitely the culture of nurses eat their young on the medical floor.

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

I like to blare my favorite band on the stereo system on my way home. Working out helps too. I love the endorphin release!

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I used to work the 3-11 shift. To decompress after a bad shift, I'd crank up the car stereo and play classic rock as loud as I could stand it on the way home. Then I'd peel off all my clothes on the way downstairs to the laundry room, shower in the basement bathroom, then hang out on Allnurses with a cup of cocoa and a cat in my lap until I got sleepy around 2 AM. It helped a lot.

Back in my younger pre kids days of working 2-10 I used to light a smoke and listen to music. Now I come home from 6-2 and usually stop and get a milkshake somewhere :)

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Watching "Dirty Harry" dvd

Or "0k coral"

take a bath. buy face creams. if you have extra money, shop online for clothes. this is just some of the stuff i do

Specializes in PMHNP.

Play with my dog. Sleep!

+ Add a Comment