Three 12s vs Five 8s

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in A variety.

I know this has already been discussed before. So what I wanna talk about it again. Thanks.

Anybody else currently debating between these two? I'm sure we are all aware of the pros/cons of each. What are your thoughts, what are you leaning towards, and why?.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I chose the in-between option: Four 8's per week. It only came out to 32 hrs/wk but that was all my mind and body could take, and everywhere I worked it was considered full-time for benefit purposes. It worked well for me for a lot of years.

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

Viva, I am working 4-8 hours of OT/week now while my body is young so that I can build my savings and go to 32 hours a week on my 50th birthday. I'm looking forward to 4 8's per week! And preferably I'll have a doctor's note specifying that I can't work longer shifts so that I can't be bullied into staying!! :)

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

Can I hear it for four 10s? lol. That is what I would love to do, but alas, I work five 8s (that are never only 8s).

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

I switched from 3 x 12s to 5 x 8s two years ago. In my opinion (YMMV) it is waaaay better. When you are on 12s, all you can reasonably do is work, sleep, shower and eat. On 8s, I can still run to the grocery store, do laundry, see my niece's softball game -in other words HAVE A LIFE) and not short myself on sleep to accomplish it.

I know there are good reasons for 12s, I just with it were an option. More older nurses would stay at the bedside.

I loved the idea of 4 days off when I worked 3 - 12s. However RARELY did I fully get that time off. There was always some mandaroty class, meeting, or committee that interrupted this.

I am back to 5 - 8s, and I feel so much better. I get to see my kids, I get to get work done, and I actually get sleep.

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.

It's a trade off either way. I'm not going to list all pros and cons...they have been thoroughly discussed on AN. I will say that, for me, part of it depends on the shift. If it straight nights, I'd prefer the 3-12s and just get it over with. Day shift, 5-8s are better for me. In addition, only you know what works best for your life.

Specializes in MICU - CCRN, IR, Vascular Surgery.

I work four 9s per week and take call (Interventional Radiology) and it's been a great change. I miss the extra day off from three 12s, but being able to do things on a work day is so nice!

Four 8 hour shifts a week has been the perfect schedule for me

This is a personal decision. Sounds like you have an option. Try 12's, then try 8's.. see what works for YOU. I liked 12's when I was young... had to go to 8's in my 50's.

Best wishes.

I know there are good reasons for 12s, I just with it were an option. More older nurses would stay at the bedside.

And younger students would want to become nurses...

I'm in nursing school now, but I'm reconsidering nursing because I want to see my kids for a couple hours every day. No 8s or part-time gigs in the area for new grads.

Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.

I work 8 hours on Monday and Tuesday, have Wednesday off, and work 10 hours on Thursday and Friday with weekends off for a total of 36 hours a week. I work outpatient Oncology and overall enjoy it but I do miss working three 12 hour shifts.

+ Add a Comment