Better opportunity?

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hi guys. So I'm a new graduate RN back in December. I graduated in Oregon but moved back to my home state of California and I'm not going to lie, the Job Search has been very tough here. My passion has always been intensive care but after not having gotten any calls back by 5 months I decided to apply for an LTC and have now been working there for about 2 weeks. And I really dislike it there. Today I just received an offer from a hospital in my area for a residency program in the float pool and it seems to be an amazing opportunity! My question is does this look bad to quit my job now having not even worked there for 3 months by the time I would put notice in? I feel really bad

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

I'm not sure if it looks bad, but I would not pass up the opportunity that I have been waiting for. Congratulations and good luck.

Do a little detective work about the new job. Make sure it is the great opportunity it seems to be. Walk around the cafeteria, observe and talk to people. If the job looks better and is the sure thing as far as job offer goes, go ahead and put in your notice. Free up a spot for another job seeker.

Hi guys. So I'm a new graduate RN back in December. I graduated in Oregon but loved back to my home state of California and I'm not going to lie, the job search has been very tough here. My passion has always been intensive care but after not having gotten any calls back by 5 months I decided to apply for a LTC and have now been working there for about 2 weeks. And I really dislike it there. Today I just receiving an offer from a hospital in my area for a residency program in the float pool and it seems to be an amzing opportunity! My question is does this look bad to quit my job now having not even worked there for 3 months by the time I would put notice in? I feel really bad

Yes, it looks "bad" ...but what do you think your employer would do if they no longer needed you? If you want to be super nice and keep a foot in the door (just in case), you could offer to stay on in a very limited, per diem way.

Specializes in Women’s Health.

A spot in a new grad residency is like gold, especially in California. I say take it! Does it look bad? Sure, but you also need to look out for yourself. You are eligible for a new grad residency for only a limited amount of time. Congrats and good luck!

Specializes in Telemetry, Med-Surg, Peds.
Hi guys. So I'm a new graduate RN back in December. I graduated in Oregon but loved back to my home state of California and I'm not going to lie, the job search has been very tough here. My passion has always been intensive care but after not having gotten any calls back by 5 months I decided to apply for a LTC and have now been working there for about 2 weeks. And I really dislike it there. Today I just receiving an offer from a hospital in my area for a residency program in the float pool and it seems to be an amzing opportunity! My question is does this look bad to quit my job now having not even worked there for 3 months by the time I would put notice in? I feel really bad

Honestly, I would take the residency program. I don't know if it looks bad, but you have to do what feels right for you and your career.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

Yes, it looks bad. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Make sure you stay in the new job for at least two years.

Specializes in Geriatrics, Dialysis.

By all accounts the job market in Cali is brutal, if you were offered a job that more closely aligns with your goals, go for it! I work in a SNF and we are always looking for staff, if for whatever reason you decide someday to go back to LTC even in California I'm sure the jobs are probably there.

Specializes in 15 years in ICU, 22 years in PACU.

New Grad in a float pool. That program really better have a well thought out plan for mentorship and skill development.

That has so much potential to be a soul destroying nightmare. OP could easily be back here in 3 months, super stressed out and wishing she had stayed put to get a better grip on basic nursing skills before being thrown to the wolves.

There is another thread on AN that spells out all the hazards of New Grads in float pools getting little or no orientation and expected to walk right in and save an always short staffed unit.

+ Add a Comment