HIPAA Violation?

Nurses HIPAA

Published

You all know the patient's family member that starts to rail against you and declare they are some nurse, from some hospital, from some random department and demands you do things the way they want it done.

I've looked all over and never found a solid answer. I'm curious though, much like if someone identifies themselves as a police office, they have to show identification. If a family member identifies themselves as a nurse, is it in your right to look them up on BON or is that a HIPAA violation? Just curious is all.

Information on BON websites is public access and has nothing to do with HIPAA.

Information on BON websites is public access and has nothing to do with HIPAA.

You are correct, but seeing as it is a patient's family member (in relation to the patient), I was not exactly sure.

Specializes in ICU.

It's not a HIPAA violation. Not entirely sure why you would need to verify their license though.

You are correct, but seeing as it is a patient's family member (in relation to the patient), I was not exactly sure.

It doesn't matter who it is. Even if your patient said they are a nurse you are free to look them up as well. It's not protected information.

Gosh golly...why not?

Because it isn't protected information. It's public access.

Gosh golly...why not?

State issued licenses are public record. Therefore not protected information .

It does not matter if the family member is a nurse. HIPAA rules are.. you only divulge information .. if it's necessary for patient care or payment.

Save your effort and CY your A. Refer these questions to the provider.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Unless you are planning on hiring them, I do not understand why you would feel the need to look them up on the BON website.

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.
Unless you are planning on hiring them, I do not understand why you would feel the need to look them up on the BON website.

Ehhh, the curiosity gets the best of some people. Honestly, if I had a family

member being a total jerkface and saying "I'm a nurse, dammit!", I'd probably

look them up too.

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.
It's not a HIPAA violation. Not entirely sure why you would need to verify their license though.

Exactly. How does the family members being or not being a nurse have any effect on the care that you provide to the patient?

Also, the family member could have their license under his/her maiden name, hyphenated last name, adopted last name, pre-adoption last name, etc. I have had patients tell me "I am a nurse," while they were wearing their CNA name badges. Who care if they are really a nurse or not?

+ Add a Comment